1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Bronze Swingarm Bushings and Setting Sideplay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YamadudeXS650C, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Port

Port XS650 Enthusiast

I feel your pain, im here looking for info on a bushings install with new steering head bearings sitting in a box...

------------------------------

I have a semi unanswered question... In a previous comment you said "The pivot tube should fit nicely, smoothly." Does this mean it should fall through with gravity or be able to be pushed out with hand strength? Mine takes a bit of twisting and tapping with the handle of a screwdriver. It had/has a bit of marring from rust, and i was going to take it down with some 400grit wet sand and a drill, just dont want to take it too far.

YamadudeXS650C and hogtyed like this.
  2. Curious...when cleaning mine today, I noticed the center hole stopped at the first set of two holes in the bolt. Same for the opposite side. How did you get grease to flow through the bolt? Were the bolts drilled all the way through at one time, or is this an aftermarket thing?

Port likes this.
  3. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Myself, I like this particular swingarm bushing fitment to be close fitting, as in a light press fit, after greasing with moly...

Port, YamadudeXS650C and gggGary like this.
  4. TwoManyXS1Bs

The thru-bolt's center grease holes only goes as deep as their side holes.

The grease flows thru a serpentine path, out those side holes into the thin space between the thru-bolt and sleeve, thru the sleeve side holes into the thin space between the sleeve and bushing, and into the bushing spiral grooves, where it can ooze out those spiral grooves thru the center area, and enter the opposite side bushing spiral grooves. Then it can flow backwards thru that opposite bushing, eventually out the other side of the thru-bolt.

I did that to expel trapped air.

I cut grooves in my sleeve and bushings to improve the grease flow...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Port, hogtyed, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  5. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Like 2M said, a close fit. And a smooth fit, so if you have some rust or marring, it would be best to lightly smooth it with very fine paper, making sure to not increase the clearance significantly.Perhaps try hand sanding (using a dowel) before hitting it with the drill.

Port, TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  6. Gotcha. That makes more sense.

Port, TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  7. Port

Port XS650 Enthusiast

I took the diameter down a bit to a point that I'm happy with. When checking the side splay i got 0.014". Do you know here the shims can be got? I'm probable going to go ahead and install with the 0.014" as i cant find the shims and don't really want to wait on em. I saw that the service call out was 0.040" unless you tell me that's idiotic. I assume that is pushed to one side in the same way you check the side play on the bench? Is that the correct assumption?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. TwoManyXS1Bs

You could take your sleeve to a machine shop and have them grind off about 0.006".
    BrakeShoeArcing02.jpg

That's what I'd do.

I don't see a significant problem there, except that the excess sideplay will allow grease to more easily ooze outta there. More frequent greasings.

I believe that measurement is taken of the rear wheel rocking, which would reveal both radial and axial play in the bushings, at a longer distance. Like the *rocking* measurement taken of connecting rods...

gggGary and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  9. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Ditto to what 2M has suggested, above.

Partzilla has the shims in stock:
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=69c28771b691d945d476cf790640f421e17d58a6

SHIM
    240-22127-00-00
    by Yamaha

$12.49 32% OFF

$8.55

TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  10. Dday7

Dday7 XS650 Member

Idaho
    Can anyone identify these swingarm bushings from a 1981 XS650 special?
    The bike is new to me and I planned on installing brass bushings but these don't appear to be the stock plastic/nylon ones, they're definitely metal on the inside.
    Do you think its worth trying to replace these or simply add the mods outlined by 5T and keep 'er lubed?
    Thanks
    IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg

11. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Dday7 and welcome,
    as you say, not the original plastic bushings and not the usual bronze replacement bushings either.
    My best guess is that a PO made his own version replacement bushings rather than buying them.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" eh?

Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  12. Dday7

Dday7 XS650 Member

Idaho
    "That's a Texas sized 10-4" Fred. Thanks. Pitter patter

gggGary likes this.
  13. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I think those are still the original plastic bushings. You just still have the pivot tube stuck through them in your pic. If the pivot tube still fits nice and snug in the bushings, no need to change them. I've been running original bushings for years. They were not worn when I got that particular swingarm (low mileage TX750 arm) so I never changed them. I keep them well greased and so far, they're holding up fine.

YamadudeXS650C and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  14. Dday7

Dday7 XS650 Member

Idaho
    Sweet. They are nice and snug and cleaned up well. Tomorrow I'll try installing the zerk fittings on the swing arm and center stand and then hopefully get these back on the frame so I can keep reassembling.

15. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

Mr Twins, do you recall the correct drill size for the added grease zerk mod? And what size grease zerk, or are they all the same size / thread pitch?
    Thanks

16. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I use metric M6 size grease fittings, same as Yamaha used. The drill size for the tap is usually stamped on the side of the tap. For an M6 threaded hole, I think it's 13/64".

17. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Or a 5.0 mm metric drill bit. For all metric thread, it is very easy to determine correct drill bit djameter. Just subtract thread pitch from thread diameter. M6X1.0 gives a 5.0 mm bit.. M10x1.5 gives a 8.5 mm bit. Normally drill bits come in 0.1 mm increments, so for 8x1.25 the theoretically correct bit is 6.75 mm, but you round upwards to a 6.8 mm bit. Same for M10x1.25 and M12x1.25, which require 8.8 and 10.8 mm bits respectively.

18. yamahama

yamahama XS650 Enthusiast

Interesting...Anyone feel more direct road vibration with solid bushes? probably not as much as in an automobile. I did similar drilling/tapping grease npples into poly front sway bar bushes and caps to keep the squeaks away. Anyone know the weight of an earlier model xs 650 rear swing arm?

gggGary likes this.
  19. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not more vibration but noticeably less wanderlust....More from replacing worn out then nylon in good shape. :cool: There should still be plenty of vibration absorbing swing arm flex.....

Mailman, JRP01, Paul Sutton and 2 others like this.
  20. yamahama

yamahama XS650 Enthusiast

:devil: long as I done get rear wheel steering..thanks

YamadudeXS650C, JRP01 and gggGary like this.