Installing MikesXS Non-Vacuum Petcocks on Later Models

Well, now THAT certainly blows a big hole in the side of the airplane !

RG, please share your empirical data on that statement.........
I bought them about 9 years ago from Mikesxs, when I switched over to manual petcocks. Installed and used for a year. When I checked 1 year later, they were laying in the bottom of the tank. They are just another Mikesxs part that is worthless in my opinion.
There is no need for anything to be used on the intake tubes.
I use 90 degree inline fuel filters from the petcock to the carb, that I bought from 650central. They work very well.

Those little white nylon screens will not stay on the intake tube. You will find them laying in the bottom of the tank.

Yup - that has invariably happened with the ones on my '76 petcocks - if they didn't split wide open when I installed them.

Pete

I have the manual petcocks from Mikesxs (purchased a reproduction tank) and can confirm that the plastic filters included are prone to tearing and will not stay in place long (mine fell off before I even had gas in the tank).

As well, the sealing washers for the petckocks disintegrated and caused a big leak. This said, I had them on the shelf for 6 or 8 years prior to using them. Luckily the tank was off the bike so there wasn't much of a mess.

Went to the local Yamaha dealer and picked up some replacement sealing washers and everything is fine now.

Some pics of what I consider a better mikes petcock.
Thicker gasket/washer for the ninety fitting, Allen/hex head screws and a soldered screen.
IMG_20170806_141539_068.jpg
IMG_20170806_141334_471.jpg

Even if they don't fall off they will warp and split at the ribs. They just don't do well with ethanol fuel.
Or that was my experience.
You would do better to fashion a brass screen cap for the tubes imo.
ALtho I now have inline supplemental filters on all my XS's, the brass screen-on-the -inlet-tube is a nice idea.

>>additional thought, picking up on WeekendRider's note about his use of ethanol fuel; I've never used the stuff in any of my bikes or the Miata. Non-ethanol premium is all that I use, same goes for the John Deere. I am wondering about this independent variable. How many of the experiences (filters splitting, floating off, sealing washers disintegrating) mentioned previously can be accounted for by the use of ethanol fuel ?? (I call it crap-gas)

In the meantime, this safety wire wrap took me less than 60 seconds. Its "on there", now, while previously it fit like a condom on a teenager's ........I'll skip the comparison. :D

002.JPG

Last edited:
Dude : I'm sure the gas doesn't help - BUT - several of those little sleeves split as I was installing them - before I slid the assembly into the tank.

Sorry, and I am a bit of a MikesXS / XSDirect supporter, but the sleeves not the petcocks (or...peacocks as they're sometimes known) are crap.

I recall some reports of tank liner failures from gasohol...
Come to think of it, and its been a number of years now, I had a good quality weedwacker (before I got the Stihl), and the filter system in the gas tank melted, looking like WeekendRider's inline filters that look like they were in a housefire. I discovered that I had mistakenly pumped gasahol.

Dude : I'm sure the gas doesn't help - BUT - several of those little sleeves split as I was installing them - before I slid the assembly into the tank.

Sorry, and I am a bit of a MikesXS / XSDirect supporter, but the sleeves not the petcocks (or...peacocks as they're sometimes known) are crap.
Don't you have non-ethanol available in Windsor?

I go to the Skaneateles NY Boat Show (vintage) most years; I recall trying to start this discussion of gas utilization amongst gatherings of owners. There was no discussion, really. Most had horror stories of gasohol damage, and then they all, along with the marinas, switched to non-eth quickly. Long ago.

18367724-mmmain.jpg

Don't you have non-ethanol available in Windsor?

You never know quite what is in the fuel it seems. There are a couple of brands that definitely do use ethanol - but the others say that their fuel MAY contain some % of it.

You never know quite what is in the fuel it seems. There are a couple of brands that definitely do use ethanol - but the others say that their fuel MAY contain some % of it.
Over here in NYS, it has to be quantified (set by regulation to 10% or less), or ZERO, and clearly marked on the pump in the same way "Gluten-Free" is marked on foods.

It well may be crap gas but it isn't going away. Current manufacturers have developed products that are compatible.
If the products were nos I could understand but newly manufactured products? Those filter/screens are from the results of daily use.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes 2Many there are problems with proven good liner products and ethanol. I no longer advocate "wet" storage period.
Chillin listen up, come to skool. Ethanol stored does worse things than condensation.
IMG_20170423_094945_631.jpg
IMG_20170618_121345_854.jpg

Last edited:
It well may be crap gas but it isn't going away. Current manufacturers have developed products that are compatible.
If the products were nos I could understand but newly manufactured products? Those filter/screens are from the results of daily use.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes 2Many there are problems with proven good liner products and ethanol. I no longer advocate "wet" storage period.
Chillin listen up, come to skool. Ethanol stored does worse things than condensation.
As I understand it, its the big-money Corn Growers in the MidWest USA who have lobbying clout in Washington, and thus, as you say, it isn't going anywhere. Corn drives sugar and gasohol production. But don't get me started about politics.

Non-ethanol premium is 30 cents more here, but it is rapidly being made available at about 60% of the gas stations.

Not so in MO. In fact we have a mandate pushed through by a one term governor that says all lower octane gas must contain at least 10%. I believe he now works for a lobbying firm. To find non-ethanol, even as a premium blend is a chore.

I don't like ethanol either; the ratio of energy consumed in making it to energy produced in burning it makes it a ridiculous choice for any economic reason besides stuffing private pockets and gives it a fat carbon footprint too. But having said that, IMO there's way too much drama stirred up over it. 10% ethanol gas is almost the only stuff we've been able to get in Illinois for around 20 years, and it's been prevalent for at least 30. Right, it isn't kind to some plastics, like those in-line filters in WR's pic. I use the same kind; they hold up for quite a long time before the ethanol softens them, the trick is preventive maintenance. If you use a decent tank liner like Red Kote or Caswell 2-Part Epoxy, ethanol won't even begin to put a hurt on it. The closest 100% gasoline is 25 miles away from me and they have it only occasionally, so I have to use 10% ethanol in everything, including 2-stroke equipment (chain saw and brush cutter/pole saw power head). "Bluebikerblan" put me onto a fine additive for ethanol gas for 2-stroke use when nonethanol premium started going extinct around here--marine formula Stabil. Bottom line: I haven't had one problem in any piece of equipment, including 3 motorcycles and the 2-stroke tools, that I can blame on 10% ethanol fuel. Just don't let the stuff age on you. 10% ethanol premium has a longer "shelf life" than regular or midgrade, but you don't want it sitting in your fuel system over winter. Two words, gentlemen: preventive maintenance.

I read that since alcohol slows burning, premium is more likely to contain it. Could be a tale maintained by old wives.

Here in Calgary, the low grade and medium grade contain 10% ethanol. The high grade is 100% gasoline.
I just use the low grade in my car and motorcycle (also in snowblower) and have no problems.

Back