Installing MikesXS Non-Vacuum Petcocks on Later Models

So, I contacted MikesXS and asked them these questions:

"Gents, I've purchased from you a number of petcocks for the XS, which come with the little white nylon tubular inlet filters. There currently are quite a number of complaints about these filters on XS650.com. Apparently, they crack and fall off.
> Are you aware of these complaints?
> If you are, are you giving feedback to the manufacturer?
> and is the feedback creating product development?
Thanks

I just got a response. It was quite dissatisfying, to me:

"We are on constant communication with our suppliers (all of them) The new fuels have played a lot of havoc with some of the materials we are receiving.
Thank you very much for the update and letting us know of the concerns."

Norton
Customer Service Team"

"New" fuels ? Gasohol has been around a LONG time. :mad:

Well now, that was a big help.
So, I just replied with this message:

Norton,

If we are taking about damage or havoc being caused by ethanol blends, I will note that they have been in use for a number of years, and are being used extensively in the US, Canada, and other countries. Ethanol blends are mandated in some states. Some people report having to travel many miles to be able to access non-ethanol gas.

Therefore, it would seem appropriate that you label your fuel-related products as being “Ethanol Compatible”, or not.

This is the second set of successor owners to promise improvement in products and customer service, only to deliver more of the same. Dude, the answer you got was worthy of Mike Lalonde himself.

A long shank #3 in the impact wrench is helpful.... Just don't bang it hard enough to dent the tank.
Sounds like a candidate for mini-vicegrip clamped on at 90 degrees as tight as possible, then just turn.

I just got a response. It was quite dissatisfying, to me:
I'm not sure it's a bad response. It would have been if you were asking for a refund. The worrisome thing is to keep selling something with problems they know about, instead of changing it. Let 'em do that with brakes and let's see what happens...

I'm not sure it's a bad response. It would have been if you were asking for a refund. The worrisome thing is to keep selling something with problems they know about, instead of changing it. Let 'em do that with brakes and let's see what happens...
Yes, in fact, they did admit to quite alot ("havoc" !), and probably they were considering that I might share with the XS650.com community.
To be fair, I have, in fact, received refunds from them in the past for other types of merch.
In this case, I was only advocating for others; I haven't had any problems with fuel products, myself.

Well looks like I might be doing this petcock change on the 1978 I have been playing with for several months.

I got excited today I mounted the gas tank and hooked up the fuel and vacuum lines and dumped in about half a gallon of gas.

Well right petcock started dripping fuel behind the square cover that the vacuum hose is connected to so pulled off the hoses and removed tank.

Figured as there was some gas in the carbs now I decided to give the kick starter a try. I know the battery I temporarily installed will not even crank it over with plugs out! Much to my surprise after maybe three or four kicks it started!

I have been very reluctant to spend any money on this bike other than the wiring harness, cab kits and brake seal kits I had bought back in 2008 when I first acquired the bike as I had no idea of the condition of the engine or transmission. Now that I have heard it run, even if only for a couple minutes, and even clicked it through the gears on center stand and no parts came flying out or even sounded like they might. Maybe in vesting in a pair of petcocks is a gamble I can take.

Never hurts to r&R the petcock and try one more time there's a good overhaul thread. I have an overhauled set that's been in use for 4 years now with no problems and several others that work fine, including survivor and period piece.

Yes, my vacuum petcocks have been working fine for a good 12 years now. I cleaned them out and lubed the moving parts when I got the bike and had to fix a leak a few years later. The leak wasn't from any of the seals. Turned out one of the cross-drilled passages Yamaha blocked off after manufacture sprung a leak. Guess the epoxy sealant around the plug cracked or fell out. I fixed it with JBWeld.

I too prefer to repair as opposed to replace things but when a kit to rebuild a vacuum petcock is $38 to $40 and a new manual pet cock is $30.00 it is a bit tempting to just replace.

The one that is leaking to the outside appears to be a problem with the diaphragm to main housing seal area, so that one alone would probably need a full kit. Then if I was to replace just the four hole valve on the other one and the tank mounting oring I'm right at the price of two new valves.

Both of the petcocks seemed to be flowing gas in the "normal" position without any vacuum from the engine running so I'm thinking they both need to be rebuilt.

Also they do not match so I'm not 100% sure which or if either one is the right one for a 1978 and that could cause some problems trying to order parts.

I too prefer to repair as opposed to replace things
I agree, and would prefer to rebuild, however.........

Also they do not match so I'm not 100% sure which or if either one is the right one for a 1978 and that could cause some problems trying to order parts.

Interesting. I have the exact same problem on my 78E. Although the one that is correctly oriented I would assume would be my original, they turn in opposite directions (which to me is a nuisance) so the replacement is off the same side. Also they don't match so I know one isn't original.
I was hesitant to order new ones as replacements aren't oriented per side, same nuisance. Plus some issues with replacements, screens etc.

So I have the same problem. Don't know which parts to order or whether to try and pick up a correct side matching petcock on Ebay.
Made my head hurt. I baled and bought replacements.

Bought a 79F Tank and it had 2 tyeps of Vacuum Petcocks..........This is what i found out.
78E-79F 1.jpg 78SE-79SF - 83SK 1.jpg
78E-79F 4.jpg 78SE-79SF - 83SK 3.jpg78E-79F 6.jpg
78E-79F 5a---Standard 78E.jpg Special 78SE.jpg
78E-79F 5b-----Standard 79F.jpg Special 81H SII copy.jpg

I too prefer to repair as opposed to replace things but when a kit to rebuild a vacuum petcock is $38 to $40 and a new manual pet cock is $30.00 it is a bit tempting to just replace.

The one that is leaking to the outside appears to be a problem with the diaphragm to main housing seal area, so that one alone would probably need a full kit. Then if I was to replace just the four hole valve on the other one and the tank mounting oring I'm right at the price of two new valves.

Both of the petcocks seemed to be flowing gas in the "normal" position without any vacuum from the engine running so I'm thinking they both need to be rebuilt.

Ken,
I have a good-working LH vacuum petcock from my '80 which could work for you.
Sending you a PM.

Thanks for doing this Skull, this is very helpful. I definitely have the left side 78E-79F.

The other side is similar to the 78SE-79SF/SII, 80SG-83SK. The face is the same however the rear diaphragm cover is different. Vacuum line faces rearwards off the end of the cover not off a raised housing as shown in your pics.. And it appears someone has replaced the straight brass fuel nipple with a cast 90, set in a bunch of black (Loctite?). Maybe it's a 81H/S11 or off another model. Wouldn't know without seeing the back or bottom of some others.

Thanks again for the info.

Left and right are different from the factory. I'll assume some parts bin engineering went on.

Went through all the pics etc of these 2, 78/79 Standards, and all i could see there was only a single 78/79 Petcock and was used on both sides. Look at the 78E and the 79F brochure and you can see it has been reversed and doesn't look to be a left and right petcock.

A Black 78E i have pics of was virtually just out of the crate.........

Last edited:
Left and right are different from the factory. I'll assume some parts bin engineering went on.
LOL, well someone did some swapping around here gggGary.

Looks to me there was only a single 78/79 Petcock and was used on both sides. Look at the 78E and the 79F brochure and you can see it has been reversed and doesn't look to be a left and right petcock

Well ya Skull that's sure what it looks like on the 78E and 79F in the brochures and on your tank. Guess I've been spoiled with my 77D.

Just to include this in this thread here's the other one that was on my 78E tank.

3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

WP_20160911_041.jpg

Skull, even though your brochure pics show what appear to be the same petcock on each side, they are not. Your pics don't show the labeling on the face plates. The two sides differ, they are mirror images of each other. Flipping the lever forward is "Res" on both sides, flipping it back is "Pri" on both sides. As far as I know, the petcocks on my '78 Standard are the originals. Here's the right side .....

qAwJKz2.jpg

..... and the left side .....

Vu0F0aF.jpg

Also, the single vacuum petcock used with the BS34 carbs ('80-on) had a 90° fuel line output nipple pointed to the inside.

Back