Installing New 530 chain and gears??

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Taking off the 520 chain and gears that were on my bike when I purchased it.
Going to stock 530 chain and gears. I noticed that when I removed the 520 front
sprocket it has a raised centre ring or offset. The new 530 front Gear I just received from
xs650 direct does not have this raised area or offset. Should the new 530 17 tooth gear be
shimmed in front of behind and if so by how much. Thx

Taking off the 520 chain and gears that were on my bike when I purchased it.
Going to stock 530 chain and gears. I noticed that when I removed the 520 front
sprocket it has a raised centre ring or offset. The new 530 front Gear I just received from
xs650 direct does not have this raised area or offset. Should the new 530 17 tooth gear be
shimmed in front of behind and if so by how much. Thx

Hi XS650D,
#520 sprocket teeth are 1/4" thick while #530 sprocket teeth are 3/8" thick.
An XS650 front sprocket needs to be 3/8" thick or it can't be properly tightened onto it's mounting.
That's why the #520 front sprocket is made with a 1/8" thick built-in "washer".
The bike's #520 rear sprocket don't need to have a 3/8" thick inner portion as the retaining bolts will pull up tight without bottoming out.

Adding to Fred's comment, a front 520 sprocket needs to be installed with that built-in washer facing out to align properly with the rear 520 sprocket. You did do it that way, right? Because if not, that could explain the quick chain wear.

Actually,5T you are bang on.I have had the 520 front sprocket on backwards the whole time.SHIT!!
Was wondering why my alignment marks were to far off on the rear rails!! Regardless, 530 chain and gears
going on with an x-ring chain. Probably overkill for this bike but it should last with min adjustments I hope!

Back