Interest in 8 plate clutch conversions?

Would you be interested in an 8 plate clutch conversion?

• Yes! my money's on the way

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Are you kidding? Those are not genuine Yamaha!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clutch? no one ever has clutch problems!

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Maybe later on, after I get my build/restore done and on the road.

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
I think the question you need to answer is how thick is that step that needs to be machined off. Thicker than a fiber plate?

Something else you may want to make note of is the steel plate that is used as that bottom damper plate is a little thicker than all the others. Spec on it is 1.6mm, the rest are 1.4mm. It is actually the steel plate used in the early '70-'73 clutches.

New to the site but I've been building and racing XS's for a few years now. I'm working on a slipper clutch setup and potentially running a 9 plate Alto stack if anyone has them still for sale. I've also been searching far and wide for a billet basket but Heiden and Twins-inn don't sell them anymore.

New to the site but I've been building and racing XS's for a few years now. I'm working on a slipper clutch setup and potentially running a 9 plate Alto stack if anyone has them still for sale. I've also been searching far and wide for a billet basket but Heiden and Twins-inn don't sell them anymore.

I have the alto plates in stock what are you looking for?

I think everything is just moving slowly cause of the social distancing they have to do in the postal facilities, just slows everything down.been waiting on some parts from Germany for over 2 months, need to follow that one up.

I to am interested in a a billet clutch basket. Does anybody have any knowledge of them?
How do they differ from the original? Is it just in material used or are there other differences?

A set in the mail to @TheMonkey. Thanks!
Current pricing 09/2020 is 8 plates plus a new Yamaha steel USA shipped for $100.
paypal ziesler123@gmail.com

Installed. Pure butter. No mo slip.

Installed with Barnett 501-58-06045 springs. Most importantly though was how silly the old springs were. See photo of new and old:

upload_2020-9-23_17-58-44.jpeg

Note the warning on the package that in California these springs may cause reproductive harm.

Next, I was expecting a dot and hole in pressure plate to line up. But my ‘74 had a dot and arrow? See pic. I assume this is to center the bolt holes when all the teeth on pressure plate mesh with basket. Dot and arrow perfectly centered those, seems all is well. Of course PO had it wrong, maybe that was tough on springs or was a cause of slip.

upload_2020-9-23_18-1-45.jpeg

upload_2020-9-23_18-2-20.jpeg

THANK YOU Gary for the effort, bro pricing, and lightning fast shipping! Very happy.

Open install, close, most probably put in new clutch springs. Pay attention to the many how to assemble threads, check the damper springs. yup plenny of parts ready to roll.

Awesome! Really looking forward to doing this once my bike is back from powder coat and i can put it back together. :rock: I'll have to wait until next month when I get paid to purchase this. But I am 100% interested. When the plates wear over time, do I go back to you to get more or how would that work?

Well I got lots of stock now, I won't live forever but the info of who makes them etc is in this thread.

Okay cool, maybe I'll buy two sets over time. You'll live forever man, but only if you want to :D :bike::rock::smoke:

I'll send you a message once I have the money to purchase the parts, Thanks Gary!! :cheers:

Not sure, the plates are thinner so I'm thinking your stack will not be thick enough.
mebbie if you added an extra steel???
The Alto plates are 2.50mm the used stock plate I have here measures 3.00mm
View attachment 171536
This difference is possible because the Alto uses a steel core instead of the stock friction plate's aluminum core. They are slightly heavier. I suppose the thinner edges could wear notches into the clutch basket a bit quicker, so far there have been no reports of that being an issue.
Just eyeballing, all other dimensions appear to be an exact match.
Yes Barnett says Clutch Spring Kit
Part# 501-58-06045 is correct for the XS650
With the Barnett springs, does this maintain the same clutch pull or heavier? Cost shipped to Canada? I think I have spare steels. Thx

Barnett springs give bit heavier pull but with a well routed, lubed clutch cable I don't find it to be a problem at all. $110 USD to heave 8 plates no steel over the wall.

2 Sets on the way to JStraker note I can get 2 sets of 8 plates with 2 steels in one flat rate padded envelope so saves shipping!
As of 1-2021 a set to Canada is $130 USD

Last edited:
Back