Interesting XS650s at BackfireMoto in Seattle

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
On the third Wednesday of the month between March and October there is a gathering of two-wheel folks and their machines. 49th NW and 17th NW, just west of 15th in Ballard if you find yourself in the area. A little slice of the Seattle moto scene.

Here are three of our favorite ride that were there.

bfmxs650-5.jpg

bfmxs650-4.jpg

bfmxs650-3.jpg

bfmxs650-2.jpg

bfmxs650-1.jpg

Photos of some of the other machines:

BackfireMoto - A Sampler/

Yep, it's a great biker meetup...always interesting builds by some local talented artists... I was at the opener last month, but unfortunately missed last nights as I am away for work in the bay area... only 3 xs's (including mine) were there...but it looks like more showed up yesterday!

I saw a sweet Norton on the backfire FB page... would have loved to see it in person.

Next month maybe!

Awesome! Did you ride yours, or wait, you were needing airboxes, right?

Neither my wife or I rode. I have the rear brake off hers for a rebuild and mine is on the lift for some servicing and a little spit and polish. We thought a friend from Phoenix might be able to attend so we took the car in case he called. He didn't.

The airboxes are for XS Number 3, which will be here in a couple weeks. The airboxes are in the trusty hands of UPS, as we type. Getting XS#3 and my '78 Moto Guzzi V50 sorted and running are my garage projects for this summer.

I'm working on a 650 Guzzi, putting a 35 amp Denso alternator between the jugs. Only 2 wires. Your V50 is the same base engine only 500cc instead of 650.

411229167.jpg

411229166.jpg

I am first and foremost a Guzzi guy.

ttt3-X2.jpg

A '77 T-3 on the shelf awaiting time/energy/money. The XS may get flipped to fund the project if a buyer presents himself.

What is the drawto the guzzi's? I find them interesting. Kind of looks like a airplane motor. Do they have good torque? I like the looks of them a lot.

They are different, and it grows on you, just like the XS does. They have a pretty healthy mechanical presence (at least the bigger ones) due to generous valve clearance settings. Being a 90 degree engine, the faster you go the smoother they run. My California II was smoother on the road in 4th gear than 5th. Some guys cruise the 55mph 2 lanes in 4th. And, like the xs650, they are a tinkerer's bike. Being Italian, I guess, is the reason. It won't leave you stranded, but there always seems to be a little something that could use attention. Engines use nikasil, and have for a very long time, and the engine life is terrific. Keep the oil clean, top 100k easily. Parts are easy as they didn't change much from year to year, again like our xs650. The engines are unlike our xs650 in many ways, but the same kind of habit. You will always find other bikes you like and want, the Guzzi is the one you don't want to get rid of to do it. I bought 2, a V65 and a California, from 1984. They are both still here belonging to my two boys. My oldest son has a 1973 XS650 chopper that came to the family in 1974 as a stocker. Same kind of loyalty to me. There are certainly faster, smoother, more modern rides out there, but who cares? And they have the best rallies .

I'm pretty hep to the old bikes, anything after 1990 kinda loses me.

I've owned an '87 SPII, '84 LeMans III, V65 Lario, V65sp, hotrod T-3 and a Quota. Pre-kids the wife and I would ride to wherever the Guzzi National Rally was every other summer. Oregon, Kansas and Arkansas with her on one of her V65s and me on the packmule SPII.

If you have a Guzzi itch feel free to PM me for info. Chrome bores are an issue on most of the cool bikes not named LeMans.

T3web.jpg

Excellent. I know who to ask when things go sideways. :D

Jeez dood, you ride a Wee as well. I really need to buy you a beer.

I love my B1250 but every time I sit on a 650 'Strom I wonder if I pulled the right trigger. I've tested one twice and came away with "if a puppy's soul could inhabit a motorcycle it would live here". :bike:

I'm pretty hep to the old bikes, anything after 1990 kinda loses me.

I've owned an '87 SPII, '84 LeMans III, V65 Lario, V65sp, hotrod T-3 and a Quota. Pre-kids the wife and I would ride to wherever the Guzzi National Rally was every other summer. Oregon, Kansas and Arkansas with her on one of her V65s and me on the packmule SPII.

If you have a Guzzi itch feel free to PM me for info. Chrome bores are an issue on most of the cool bikes not named LeMans.

T3web.jpg
that's a cafe' waiting to happen. nice lines.

that's a cafe' waiting to happen. nice lines.
Yes, early *Tonti framed bikes have a lower steering head making a nice low line. Later bikes (mid-80s) lose that with a taller steering head.

*850T, 850 T-3, LeMans I & II, SP1000, G5 and pre 1985. Avoid the iConvert as it's an odd bird. That bike is a '77 T-3.

Back