Intermitant Spark Leads to Fouling...

waveslayer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a Intermitant spark problem that leads to fouling. I have swapped coils, charged the battery, swapped wires and spark caps, pionts are dead on and .13 gapped, left side runs great all the time, right side not so much... Carbs are set alittle lean on idle, but have been gone through. I changed the condenser wires and problem still exists.. Most of the spark testing is done while running on the good cyclinder with the spark plug out as well as with the spark plug in and a timing light. Sometimes I can run 20 miles without a problem, other times I don't make it a mile before the right side drops, pops and blows as it fouls... Any advice helps? Oh and did the resistance check on the condenser that also passed as well as both coils wires and caps.

If you still have original coils, wires etc..................its time to replace them...........they are worn out. A single dual output coil (greater than 4.5 ohms) with points (buy new points as well) will work. Better yet, buy a Pamco kit.

Many say they have "gone through" the carbs, but I suspect they are not checking the important areas carefully. The pilot circuit must be clear, especially the pilot jet, which is a very tiny orifice. Look in the "Tech" section for info/pictures of the pilot circuit.

I have not switched over to the newer style coils.. but i did get another pair of after market (used) ones and took the coil from the good side moved it to the bad side and then put one of the used ones on the good side (still good) after testing it. Thought that would have pretty much taken care of that area. When i was in the carbs i took out and cleaned the jets, set the float level (brass floats), and adjusted the airscrews (that should only really affect the idle-2500 rpm). I may have to look at the point closer and do the spark test in the points. Seems to me i tried it and got a weak spark their which didn't make alot of sense because the condenser checked out.

how did you test the condenser? is it original? if so replace it.. if you're getting sparks at the points the condensers are bad. a few are ok. i had similar problems.. weak spark at plugs, missing sparks, etc. condenser fixed it

i used 1960's something ford f100 condensers at about $5 each, you'll need two.

Back