intermittent spark on right cylinder

sean colleary

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
trying to set timing to day with my timing light i have good light coming when i clipped on to the left side but when i go to the right plug wire i get no light ive tried moving the clip around randomly ill get a light manly when i rev the motor thats when the light intermittently comes on i tested the coil and its 4.5 omes

I was going to say that. The plug wires are usually something I replace right off on one of these, often the plug caps too. The caps can and do go bad. They have a rather odd resistance rating of around 8K ohms but when they go bad, that value starts to climb. Eventually, as it gets too high, it will start choking off the spark. If I don't replace the wires, at the very least I trim a little off each end to get to some fresh wire.

The left plug cap was not seated tight with my park plug wire and caused n intermittent loss of power. Trimmed off 1/4" spark plug wire and screwed the cap on...good as new. I was sure it was a carb or fuel issue for a long time, very tough when problems pop in and out.

Back