Intro - 76

WideAWAKE

Single Fins and Twin Cylinders
Top Contributor
Reaction score
when I was 11 I got an rd200 - still got it. Still Runs like a champ. Worked all summer and saved up 200 bucks, bought the coolest thing I could find. I spent years blasting around the backroads when I live in the boonies on the east coast.

fast forward about 10 years and I picked up an xs - original minus the swapped front end (it had dual disc up front) sold it about 10 years ago.

A few days ago I Picked up another 76 - tins have been repainted - very nicely done but doesnt “feel” right - too smooth and color is a smidge off. I’m on the hunt for some really clean originals or possibly I’ll repaint these the correct color. I don’t think anyone would ever notice unless it was side by side with an original.

Given it a good tune up so far - new bars and grips are on the way (euro bars like my last 76).

I’ve owner probably 30+ 60/70s bikes through the years and this one by far has the worst brakes I’ve ever felt. Upper half of the front is stainless by the bottom is original. Got a stainless line on the way to swap it out. I will eliminate the solid tube as well and stick a banjo directly to the caliper.

I’m sure I’ll have a few questions in the near future so I’ll keep this thread going.

I’m not located on the central coast in California.

Attachments

• E2051180-D018-4E9B-975F-2A0FFE606B10.jpeg
    E2051180-D018-4E9B-975F-2A0FFE606B10.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 2548EF89-6A49-42CB-A305-F97A2B5AAE8D.jpeg
    2548EF89-6A49-42CB-A305-F97A2B5AAE8D.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 169
Welcome! Lots of information, lots of very knowledgeable contributors here. Questions? Just ask - and you'll find great information in the "Tech" section available in the black bar at the top of the page as well. Great photos! Bikes are very nice - twin twinzies!.........

when I was 11 I got an rd200 - still got it. Still Runs like a champ. Worked all summer and saved up 200 bucks, bought the coolest thing I could find. I spent years blasting around the backroads when I live in the boonies on the east coast.

fast forward about 10 years and I picked up an xs - original minus the swapped front end (it had dual disc up front) sold it about 10 years ago.

A few days ago I Picked up another 76 - tins have been repainted - very nicely done but doesnt “feel” right - too smooth and color is a smidge off. I’m on the hunt for some really clean originals or possibly I’ll repaint these the correct color. I don’t think anyone would ever notice unless it was side by side with an original.

Given it a good tune up so far - new bars and grips are on the way (euro bars like my last 76).

I’ve owner probably 30+ 60/70s bikes through the years and this one by far has the worst brakes I’ve ever felt. Upper half of the front is stainless by the bottom is original. Got a stainless line on the way to swap it out. I will eliminate the solid tube as well and stick a banjo directly to the caliper.

I’m sure I’ll have a few questions in the near future so I’ll keep this thread going.

I’m not located on the central coast in California.

Now that’s just Cool! The matching paint job Yamahas. I had a blue ‘76 just like that back when it was just a year old. That’s the one that got me hooked on them. I like the dual disc set up on yours. A lot of us here ditch the old rubber hose set ups and run a single stainless line right to the caliper , just as you are thinking of. Usually the master cylinders and calipers need to be cleaned up and / or rebuilt. The brakes work pretty well really when everything is working as it should.
Welcome to the forum, I like your bikes, and I look forward to seeing more of you around. Good luck with your bike!
-Bob

The search function is an incredibly valuable tool. I’ve had a few of these bikes and it’s answered a host of questions in the past as I’m sure it will in he future.

I wish I knew what front end the bike with the dual disc had on it (possibly swapped with a euro bike??? I’m guessing it came from the same bike as the headlight brackets)

if the braided line doesn’t do much to help, I’ll pull the caliper and master for a rebuild.

From one 76er to another, welcome.
You stated the side covers are a smidge off, is the tank original?
I find French blue dark enough to satisfy my need for a blue bike but I think I have seen repaints that look too light, bordering on Periwinkle but then again I have seen supposed survivors that look too light as well so then it might be the lighting.
I'm in Sacramento.

Attachments

• 20200315_175157.jpg
    20200315_175157.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 171
Your caliper has two moving pistons, or it should. If one is froze up, the brake will suck. I know because I worked on an RD350 that had that issue. The front brake was just awful. Freeing up that stuck piston had the brake working very well again.

Norton - that bike is CLEAN! - both the tank and side covers on mine have been repainted. It looks a bit light next to my RD (I can only assume they used the same French blue for both??) but comparing it to photos of my old xs it looks about right. Nonetheless it’s been painted. Frame and chrome are original. Original wiring and from the looks of it never touched but it was converted to a pamco.

5twins - I’ll pull the caliper and check it’s not stuck. I had a fully tuned r5 years ago - 0-75mph in the blink of an eye 75-0mhp in about 12 blocks. I think this current bike might beat that haha.

I also need to do my front brake, as my last project.

I will try and fim3d some photos of the different shades of bikes advertised as French Blue 76's.
We have someone on here now that is trying to sell his, supposedly all original, looks lighter to me than when compared to mine.

EDIT, this bike looks similiar to mine, currently for sale here.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/1976-xs-650.56790/

Last edited:
The rd is a 75 - I’m guessing They ran the color scheme on the rd and it went well then put it on the xs. Maybe tweaked the formula a bit.

I’ve never seen another rd with this paint in person so I have nothing to compare it’s color too (maybe they too had some variation).

My previous xs seems to match my current one but photos can be deceptive.

Yeah not sure. I deal with color (paints, lacquers,resins and pigments etc ) all day everyday and I know batches are never quite the same so I’m sure some of that has do do with the variety of shades.

also, are your exhausts stock or you running an open megaphone?

Back