Intro and build from Utah

ksqrly

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im from Utah, where we can only ride bikes for 4 months out of the year, but fortunately that gives us plenty of time for tinkering in the off season. This is one of two of my builds going right now. I also have an rd350 that I am working on just so I can say I have a ringading in the stable.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I got this 650 in a pile of parts, and I just started to do mock up assembly today. The first problem I ran into was not be able to find the lower bolts for the triple trees. After I got that squared away I got the front end on, aside from the brake. Then the real trouble started. I went to put on the rear wheel and there is all sorts of space between the axle and the mounts. Im pretty sure I have all the parts. I checked everything here http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650se-1978-1980_model8684/partslist/H-07.html#results.

Im not 100% sure what the issue is, so I am hoping you guys can help me out. First, is this kit even for the 650? If it is why would it be so far off? One Idea that ran across my mind was that the drum brake rear wheel could be wider and thats what the kit is gear to rather than a disk rear wheel.

My last question is, what would the best thing be to use for axle spacers? I have searched on the web, but I cant seem to find anything that looks good.

I tried to take pictures to show the issue.

left side.jpg
Right side.jpg
IMG_20130813_190601.jpg

Every wheel front or rear I have installed has had spacers of some type.I had to make the spacers I needed for my springer.Custom bike shops tend to have many different sizes in stock,if you contact TC.bros choppers they might be able to help you with that.You need to align the wheel with the chain and space given then take measurements.Due to the hard tail it's going to be a custom fit.

Welcome to the forums ksqrly. It looks to me like you are missing the caliper bracket for the rear disc. My bike is a 78, and the support is about an inch wide were the rear axle bolt goes thru it.

Philip

Thank you conrad and philip. Ill rummage through the parts pile and see if I can find the bracket you are talking about. I know ill have to get fab up some sort of bracket for the rear brake, so Ill so some research and try to find the best way of doing it.

Any opinions..dos and donts?

Update on the build:

Started to clean all the dust and grime off of the engine and I found a few interesting things.
1) The clutch rod is very loose, and does not want push in at all. Ill take off the clutch cover tomorrow.

2) I think this thing has an aftermarket PMA kit on it, so thats pretty cool. The guy I bought it from never mentioned it. Hopefully it was hooked up right. Can anyone tell me what kind it is?

3) the clutch cover seems to be all f##ked up in the front. Not sure if they tried welding on it or if the clutch cover is just from a different year. Do they differ from year to year?

IMG_20130814_155433.jpg

IMG_20130814_153952.jpg

Welcome to the site
The stator is a 80 or newer TCI unit not a PMA
The clutch side cover has been welded up.
the speedo cable assembly has been removed, and welded closed.

yes what Ben said tach not speedo I was having a OTD moment

Last edited:
What Carbon said, but it's actually the tach drive hole welded up. Speedo drive is on the front wheel.

If you do go to a PMA, save those TCI parts. You can sell them on e-bay or trade out for other parts. Getting harder to find stock, working ignition/charging parts.

Thanks for the info all.
Im going to keep the stock charging system for now. Maybe in the future I will convert it to bateryless and go with a PMA set up, but for now I just want to get the thing mocked up and rideable before winter hits, and that way I will have all winter to work on the finishing touches, and getting this thing really nice.

Ill get on the interweb and find a set of covers. The previous owner tried to get fancy and drill and cut away a bunch of the left cover, and it looks liike shite.

One more quick question for you 650 vets out there. Are there any differences from year-to-year on the clutch covers, or are they all the same?

Quick update:

I got the engine in and mounted. Surprisingly I was able to find all the mounts and bolts in the pile of parts that the po gave me.

I ordered an exhaust and bungs from pandemonium, and a clutch cover off of flebay.

I thought you all might get a kick out of the two left side covers that I got, so I attached a pic.:wtf::wtf::wtf:

engine in.jpg
covers.jpg

Thanks Carbon.

I got a cover off ebay for a reasonable price. Put the head light on. Its actually starting to look like a bike. Still very undecided on where to put the controls. Also started my seat today, with a lot of grinding and a bit of welding it is almost done. Getting excited.

650 light on.jpg

Today I took the carbs apart to give them a cleaning, and I found a plug in the pilot jet circuit. I did a little research and best I can tell is that the pilot circuit is fed through an opening from the main circuit, and the plug helps it from getting to rich. Seems like a strange set up to me.

My question is if I run a free flow exhaust and pods is that going to be enough to counter the leaning that the plug creates? Could I loose the plug all together? I just dont like the idea of a rubber plug in the pilot circuit.

WELCOME , bike looks nice so far , you're as the others said missing the rear caliper bracket (about an inch thick) that will take up most if not all of the space your photo shows

Thanks Dave,

I figured that out about the bracket.:doh:

Is there anything to hold the caliper in place besides the brake stay. A stay mount is coming up soon on the list of things I need to do.

Also do you know if the plugs can be eliminated on the carbs?

Thanks Dave,

I figured that out about the bracket.:doh:

Is there anything to hold the caliper in place besides the brake stay. A stay mount is coming up soon on the list of things I need to do.

Also do you know if the plugs can be eliminated on the carbs?

Axle and caliper stay hold it together with minimal movement (ill be facing the caliper stay issue soon as well).

as far as the carbs im not sure with these but gonna have to find out soon myself.

Another thing I just noticed is that there is no air mixture screw it is just filled in where the screw should be. Has anyone seen this before:wtf:

Back