Intro - Hi From Olympia

RonXS

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi I'm Ron from Olympia, Washington. I've recently received a free '79 XS650. Free in this case is a bit subjective as the PO had started to part-out the bike. All I know is PO said that the bike was running on only one cylinder. So that means there will be parts buying and trouble shooting to get this bike back on the road. :bike: This will be a puzzle... Good thing I like puzzles. :)

Picture of the 1979 XS650
MFrALFP.jpg

sui0FW2.jpg

I'm new to XS650s but not new to motorcycling. Started off with a '77 RD400 in '77 (Loved that little rocket). Definitely in to cafe styling. Here's a couple of my previous projects.

1978 SR500 'BSA Replica'
Ekglbkj.jpg

1998 Honda VTR1000
SZISSnh.jpg

UWzlaLV.jpg

RqktFLP.jpg

2001 Moto Guzzi V11
7cajWPI.jpg

Last edited:
I've recently received a free '79 XS650. Free in this case is a bit subjective as the PO had started to part-out the bike.

Listen, Ron, free is free! Let's not quibble - congratulations on your new bike.

This is a great forum and I think a great community as well. You will receive plenty of help from the good people here to get the bike up and running. And take heart, the Yamaha XS650 is a good old-fashioned sturdy bike.

Nice XS650 you scored for free. Any ideas where to go with it? Have you checked the engine/chassis numbers to see what year/model in case things have been changed during its history? Here is a link to VIN and Model identification (similar data is also compiled on this forum in the Tech Section):
https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/xs650-model-year-model-code-engine-number/

Thesxcafedotcom is just one of my favorates for VIN data and bike Manuals.

Welcome.... Olympia …. memories... use to live north of there... Great beer commercials….
You have a open palette..... no restraints.. concerns abut stock.... a excellent time for..... bobber… cafe'....
keep is posted.. photos.. from tear down to … ? I hope to be out in your neck of the woods in the fall.. if the bug gets squashed

All I know is PO said that the bike was running on only one cylinder. So that means there will be parts buying and trouble shooting to get this bike back on the road. :bike:
Mornin Ron from Vancouver. Welcome to the puzzle. Your XS does clearly appear to be whats left of a 79 Special.
Might matter as to the mileage on the odometer? Gettin it back on the road is a simple sounding idea that could turn out to be a complete tear down real quick.
There is so much knowledge here and folks who would very much like to assist. Starting right here is your best choice!
Please Don't fall for the quick Google search and land right on "MikesXS" for parts just yet.
Can't sugar coat it, you found something to think about first.
;) -R

Welcome Ron. Like others have said, we like pics here. Lots of people here have parts stashes. Use the classies to run wanted ads before buying from Ebay. Most of us are much cheaper. For new parts, use Partzilla... OEM Yamaha parts... and cheaper that Mikes aftermarket stuff in some cases. Think of Mikes as a last resort.
Looking forward to seeing where you go with it. Did I mention we like pics? ;)

Hi Ron and welcome,
most likely the missing pieces of your puzzle can be sourced from this list's classifieds section.
Once the bike is complete enough to run you can test ride and start to consider upgrades.
Note:- The often touted PMA swap is NOT an upgrade. It's an alternative and IMHO an inferior one.
Do NOT drink the PMA koolade.

Welcome Ron - from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

Your bike looks great and with the low price you paid ;), you'll have plenty of dough left for items like an exhaust system, carbs, an airbox etc.

My advice is to ask lots of questions and post lots of photos (did anyone mention the importance of photos?) - and be sure to tell us what you need BEFORE buying anywhere else. There are folks on this forum who have substantial stocks of parts that they will often part with at very reasonable prices.

Pete

Thanks for the comments. I'm planning on a 'soft' cafe racer look. No drop bars on this build - back won't support it.

Did you say hoarders? Nah, it's long term parts storage. At least that's what I tell my wife.

Funny story...
Me: Honey come look at the storage area I built in the shop attic. I built this for .23 per square foot. Cheapest storage ever. Isn't it great:?
Wifey: Big frown. No comment. (Obviously does't like it.)
Me: Whaaattt????
Wifey: Your just gonna fill it up with junk. Then your gonna die. And I'll be the one to get rid of it.
Me: :doh:

So this bike helps in my effort to prove her wrong... At least that's what I'm telling her.
Though I'm planning on using up as much of my parts stash as possible.

I looking to do something like this, but with a Superbike bars, RD400 tank, black frame, fenders and XS Mag wheels.
yamaha-xs650-1975-cafe-racer-01.jpg

Back