Intro, info, insanity!!!

Jigsisme

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New here, need a new time killer like I need another fat-pill! Caught a glimpse of a pic my buddy was eyeballing the other day and instantly got hooked on EVERYTHING XS650...now I hafta get one. I know how to follow directions/ingredients and turn a wrench but will have to brush up on the mig but never built a bike before. Where can I find a build sheet for a bike with the lines like "motoshop tonouchi's" clean Frisco style? I just love that bike...and every other no frills bike I've seen in here! I just love em all. I'm vertically challenged at 5'6" so I think the 0 stretch would fit me best. Now for a search for a bike or basket case...I love it when I'm on a mission, or as the wife says "manic"!

Really would like to but won't know till I try. I'm kinda ocd so I just can't modify without a solid plan. That's where my question lies...where to start for a build like that? Donor bike, then frame, wheels, tank, ect. All while doing motor. Or am I completely off? Or is it just better to buy from the experts and ride...but then I won't get to "learn".

Well to build a one off hardtail you'll need a frame jig. That can get costly, lots of good premade hardtail sections out there, voodoo vintage makes a killer one. I'd suggest getting a complete bike and get it running well so you know what does and doesn't need to be done. Then start tearing into a build.

another question is are you gonna putting a lot of miles on the bike and would you be able to deal with ride of a hard tail? or would it be better to do the bratstyle type build. just some things to think about

Will be a town bike...small town! Years ago I wanted to do a sportster but it's? ,, never materialized...too much life happening. I like the xs650 idea much more. I already found a hardtail Basket case for a grand and wanna go check it out, will take my buddy to see if it's doable or if it's a mess. Is it better to do the add on hardtail or complete frame for the style I want? Does this forum have a consolidated list for frames and forks? Tons of ideas and questions aol I know I need to do a lot of net searching. Don't hammer on me too much...I got two brain cells and they hate each other, recently retired Marine so I've got thick skin

Will be a town bike...small town! Years ago I wanted to do a sportster but it's? ,, never materialized...too much life happening. I like the xs650 idea much more. I already found a hardtail Basket case for a grand and wanna go check it out, will take my buddy to see if it's doable or if it's a mess. Is it better to do the add on hardtail or complete frame for the style I want? Does this forum have a consolidated list for frames and forks? Tons of ideas and questions aol I know I need to do a lot of net searching. Don't hammer on me too much...I got two brain cells and they hate each other, recently retired Marine so I've got thick skin

honestly you'd be better off putting a grand towards a running bike. i'd have a hard time fixing up someone else's hardtail project, who knows whats going on with the frame etc.

No joy in just buying one. But a grand for a hard tail basket depends on the parts and quality of the build. Could be a rip off or a steal.

Back