iPhone app - how hard?

well, the only problem i see with Travis doing it via a skin is that the board doesn't know if you're on your phone or pc. So that tagline is going to be there when you're on your pc, which defeats the whole purpose of letting people know if you're on your phone.

I'm not sure that's true bc of the different ip address. Not saying you're wrong I just don't know I haven't tried switching back over to the PC since the change on the phone

Posted via Mobile

Well you're both kind of right. The thing is, most people aren't going to use the Mobile style unless they are actually browsing the forum on their phone. You could use the default style while on your phone, but then your posts won't show that you were on your phone. So the idea is, if the default skin (style) is easier to use when browsing on your computer, and the mobile skin is easier to use when browsing from your phone, people will use the correct one, and the "posted via mobile" will be pretty accurate.

The last style you were using is stored using cookies. That's why when you come to the site on your computer you still see the default style, and when you come to it on your phone, you'll see the mobile style if that's the last style you selected from your phone.

Also I made a few changes to the Mobile Style

1. I added a link in the nav bar next to 'Register' (if you're not logged in) or 'Control Panel' (if you are logged in) to say 'Mobile Style'. It will only show up if you are viewing the site using an iPhone, iPod, or Andriod phone and are currently browsing using the default style. That should help people find the style when they are on their phones.
  2. I changed the initial scaling size to match the width of the phone. It should switch when you change the orientation of the phone from portrait to layout.
  3. I removed the quick reply box from the mobile style, you just have to click the reply button or quote button in a post or the post reply button at the top or bottom of the thread. I also removed the preview button from the advanced editor. This will stop the "posted via mobile" from showing up several times in one post when you use preview a couple of times. Using edit will not duplicate the "posted via mobile".

Travis you truly are awesome. Truly man it was just a question of how hard. I mean I know I couldn't do it. I'm incapable of doing something like that unless I'm determined... i.e. First motorcycle build. (although I'm avoiding it right now b/c I'm dreading the WIRING) which pretty much plays into my point. Although I do feel like I'm definitely above average when it comes to tech savvy... I'm in no way equipped to figure out how to write a program b/c of lack of will. So in short. You're awesome Travis. Thanks again for making it easy for ppl like me who are a conscious about his posts from the mobile.

Item 1 in my post above doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to look into that more later. You can still get to the mobile style using the style chooser in the lower left corner of most pages.

And thanks BigJimmy, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Another iPhone user here, just ran across this thread and gave the mobile browsing experience a whirl.

As long as I hold my phone in landscape form (sideways) it works wonderfully. Good enough to happily browse the Garage or Lounge without too much trouble. Vertically it's not as polished per sey, but I'm not concerned. Great work Travis!

Logan

Just testing the skin via android now it seems to be working decent although I would to have tapstalk as an option. With a slide keyboard writing is a little fun too I think.

Posted via Mobile

I have in my Iphone a app called Tapatalk that detected when you are in some forum sites and openeded with the app for some extras features in the forum, in this case I think that the forum need to have some software activared...

I think there are apps to browse vbulletin boards like this one more easily...I have no experience with this but I would think it's not as hard as a real app, what you suggest would be something that displays the site in a mobile friendly way right?

Tapatalk is enabled for the forum. If you use tapatalk, search for 'xs650' and you'll find the site.

If it happens, it will be awesome for all forum members who have i-phone. It will give them comfort of posting threads and post replies from anywhere with the help of i-phone app.

Back