Is a 1981 motor compatible with 7 wire rectifier/regulator from a 1978

Yamaxs650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First off, this is my first post ever so if I'm in the wrong place just let me know! I have been a huge fan of this forum and all the extremely helpful items that are on it. I am running into a little situation though....

So I recently got a 1978 xs650 with a 1981 electronic motor. The wiring was chopped in pieces and this is my first XS so I want to make sure I cover everything before I start breaking things:doh:. First thing I did was get the Pamco kit with the xs performance coil. Now I am attempting to figure out a wiring set up. My first question/statement; I remove the "Black Box" since I have the Pamco set up correct? Secondly, Im not sure what ignition set up it is for but I have a 7 wire Rectifier/regulator-(3 white wires, black, green, brown and red) and most of the simplified diagrams that I look at disregard the green wire... should I just hook it up to the green wire from the alternator or delete it? Ok, third and final question for now; The Alternator has 6 wires- 3 white, green, yellow and it looks brown to me. I understand to tie back the yellow hook the 3 whites to the 3 whites on the reg/rec in any order and I would assume green to green. The question I had- does the brown on the alt go to the black on the reg/rec then grounded? Any answers would be much appreciated...:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Back