Is a Martek ignition crappy or good?

Ashaman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got around to looking into the black box ziptied to my downtube today, and found that it seems to be an ignition system. A bit of googling revealed that it's a Martek 1000YT electronic ignition, but not much else. The bike seems to run well enough with it, although due to lots of reasons I can't ride it right now, but should I plan on keeping this thing or ditching it as soon as I can?

I had one on my first 75 back in 78-79. It works a bit like the Pamco. Inside where the points were it has a sensor and a rotor to trigger the black box, then the black box told the coils when to spark.
It still uses the advancer unit from the points.
A good unit. I would run it until it quits, then put in the Pamco. Which might be a very long time.
Leo

Good to know. I'm assuming that since it's kind of a combo of points and Pamco, it would continue to work fine with a PMA swap? That's definitely on my short list for this bike.

It should be fine with the PMA. I don't know just how voltage sensetive it might be. The PMA with a cap might not get it to fire. It may need a small battery to get the ignition to work well on start up.
When you go PMA you will just have to try it both ways.
Leo

I had a Martek years ago on my '75. IIRC, I got about 40k miles out of it before it lost the right side. I'd agree with XSLeo; run it til it breaks. I wonder what ever happened to the company?

Martek Instructions
I have a complete "working when removed from Madness, about 2015" Martek set up as of 9-2019
Martek01.jpg

Martek02.jpg

Martek03.jpg

Martek04.jpg

It’s too bad they’re out of production. In the late ‘70s, MarTeks were definitely the hot setup and all the rage for serious long distance bikers. I really wanted one but they weren’t available in Canada so I was stymied.

I had bought a brand new (but leftover) 1979 Suzuki GS850G in the spring of 1981 and it was one of the last four-cylinder bikes that had points. That summer, I rode it to California and when visiting a Suzuki dealership in LA, I found that MarTek ignition systems were on sale - so I had one installed while they were doing an oil change, for the princely sum of about $79 USD.

Needless to say, it worked perfectly and caused no grief at all for the next 15 years and nearly 140,000 km that I owned that bike.

I’d buy another MarTek for my XS650s now - without hesitation.

Pete

Last edited:
Back