Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Looks like an inside shot!

In Milwaukee of old a machinist was some guy could run a lathe, a Tool and Die Maker knew something.
A good friend of mine is a retired Tool and Die maker. He gets mad at me if I refer to him as a machinist.

Gonna take a few barley pops to sort these out...
100_0251.JPG 100_0252.JPG

Not an exact count but about a 60/40 split, imperial/metric on at least the taps. Drill bits?? 'Bout a dozen woodruff cutters, few end mills in the mix....all in all not too bad for $60. Hell, listening to the stories the old boy I got 'em from had was worth the price of admission.

'Bout 40mi east of your home grounds. Living in Durand now, grew up in Hartland ( little S.E. of here)

S Bend Lathe 3.jpg S Bend Lathe 2.jpg South Bend Lathe.jpg XS650s.jpg Mill Machine1.jpg XS650s.jpg South Bend Lathe.jpg S Bend Lathe 2.jpg S Bend Lathe 3.jpg Mill Machine1.jpg
Mill Machine1.jpg
S Bend Lathe 3.jpg
South Bend Lathe.jpg
S Bend Lathe 3.jpg
Need opinion/input from the experts. I'm still relatively new to this forum but have been hiding in the shadows and have enjoyed reading all the threads from everyone. Own two XS650's and in the process of building a third. Not much for posting on social media, so I'll apologize in advance for not including my work with pics. Quite frankly, the work I see being done on this forum is a bit intimidating, and my work wouldn't hold a candle to what I see being done. Anyway, the blue 81 in the pic I totally restored from reading this forum. Wish I had before pics, as it was in rough shape. The list of work done to this bike would take up three pages. Just got done repainting the tank. The 77 in the background was a PO attempt at a cafe bike, which runs great and am leaving as-is for now, but have all orig parts to put it back stock. I've been getting more into metal working and have an opportunity to buy the lathe, and mill in the attached pics for $1,800. The lathe is an old South Bend, 48" bed. Comes with some tooling. Not real sure on the mill, but owner said it works great. Lathe is converted to single phase, mill is 3-phase. Just wanted to get the "experts" to chime in here, as I'll admit I am very much in the learning process and do not want to make a purchase mistake, or get myself in deeper than I should. Owner is 87 and said the lathe was completely gone through, nice and tight, re-painted. You know how that goes. Anyway, comments would be much appreciated. What should I look for, what questions should I ask before buying? Also has a surface grinder available for $600.

Last edited:
Looks like a great pair of bikes!
Some of your pics are too small to see. Lathe- Fully gone through. ... Maybe. bring the carriage in near the chuck, snug the stop screw, then loosen just enough that you can move the carriage, then try backing it away from the chuck. That will quickly reveal worn ways. Dunno but I'm more in favor of a decent import that isn't worn out. Spent too many years trying to compensate for a worn out West Bend I guess.

sorry for all the pic issues above...still learning how that works.

Is It My Turn?
Heh... I see what you did there Gary;)
Well, there's the 10" Atlas. 1940 ish. Has plain babbet bearings and oil cups in the headstock. It came to me in cardboard boxes.

View attachment 110205

First thing I made on it was this....

View attachment 110206

There's the homemade torch rig....

View attachment 110207

Yes, those really are XS650 pullbacks for the handle... I like to re-purpose stuff:)

And the Alpha TIG 200

View attachment 110208

The Plasma Cutter...

View attachment 110209

And the 20+ yr old Hobart wire machine. Don't let the Craftsman badge fool ya, it's a Hobart through and through.

View attachment 110210

A 30" blasting cabinet

View attachment 110211

A 20 ton press...

View attachment 110212

An 8" disc/belt sander... great for steel or aluminum

View attachment 110213

A floor drill press with laser crosshairs

View attachment 110214

And I think there's a partridge in a pear tree around here somewhere....

I have an Atlas 10" as well, it's a good little lathe and does all i require of it.

Thanks for replies. Thanks Beags for posting the Craigslist link....should have just done that to begin with. I'd have to travel a good 1.5 hours to look at the lathe. Lathe itself is $1k.

'Bout 40mi east of your home grounds. Living in Durand now, grew up in Hartland ( little S.E. of here)
Beags - I see you live in MI. I'm up North of Traverse City by about an hour. Sucks being in the garage staring and bikes wanting to ride, while snow is falling outside....riding season just way too short.

Back