Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Back in their day, our old machines used motor oils and sticky "way oil". Bushing type spindles, Hand scraped surfaces.

Really neat modern lubricants nowadays, with cool ingredients.

For simplicity, I've been using modern spray aerosols on the headstock bearings and ways for many years now, with no adverse effects. Like Slick 50, motorcycle chain lubes, ...etc. And, lubricate before any task.

Anybody want to share thoughts, cautions, recommendations, on vintage machine lubricants?

Favorite cutting oils?
I use Tap-Magic, Brownell's Do-Drill, Mistic Metal Mover, WD-40 (aluminum).

Last edited:
In the process of putting that lathe back together, I used a lot of aerosol white lithium grease.

Tap Magic and WD-40 are always nearby, and I've been known to use a little CLP when turning steel. Creates quite a bit of smoke so I use a home-made exhaust fan, made from a muffin fan and a length of aluminum dryer vent hose.

Plain old pipe threading oil (cheap & available everywhere) for steel and WD-40 for 'loomium (one of the few things WD is actually good for).
Still working on the jug of way oil that came with my mill when I got it.

This repair has been needed ever since I got this mill...
100_0465.JPG

Somewhere along the line the belt tensioner handle got a boo-boo. Since this is a step-pulley machine that handle sees quite a bit of use (still worked just always bugged me). So away we go!
100_0466.JPG

I know it's in there somewhere...
100_0467.JPG
100_0468.JPG

...there it is!
100_0470.JPG

MUCH better.

Not sure if my welding skills are up to cast material, steel or iron which ever it is. Plus multiple layers of paint after, and in, the break would make it tough for a contamination free joint.
Figured this would be a good see if I can/learn a trick or two project. Maybe some day I'll clean-up the old one and try my hand at some TIG Brazing (least I know I'm covered if I eff that up!)

Machine repair day...
100_0486.JPG 100_0487.JPG
Couple weeks ago went to swap chucks on the ol' Logan, when I went to engage backgear to unscrew the chuck...nuthin'...spindle just spun. "SHIT!!! what broke now?"
Pulled the head stock, rolled 'er over to see what I could see. WHEW, no broken bits:). Just a matter of the set-screw that holds the bearing cup for the eccentric shaft was loose. That allowed the cup to migrate enough that the shaft moved enough to disengage the key between the shaft & the gear that rolls the eccentric.
Took everything apart, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. All good now. For a change a repair that was fairly simple, required no parts or $$$...just a bit of time.

After a few days of marathon chip making I got the shop cleaned up and after finding this thread thought I would post a few pics of my play area. It's pretty much limited to half of a two stall garage bay but has plenty of space for what I have. (well at least for now but who could not use more shop floor space?)
IMG_0507~photo.JPG

IMG_0512~photo.JPG

Yes that is a an empty case of Yuengling. I made a trip to Arkansas to drop off my frame for powder coat and had to pick up some because Missouri does not sell it. Not to toss out the first shots in a beer war, nor support Missouri's favorite brand, but Anheuser Bush products are just not a favorite.

The lathe is a 13x40 gear head no name Chinese I have had for some 14 years.
IMG_0510~photo.JPG

The mill is also a no name Chinese with an 8x30 table that I added linear scales to for a home made DRO.
IMG_0511~photo.JPG

The shaper came with a lathe deal I got some 11 years back. The lathe was a 1946 South Bend 9" that was in great mechanical shape but a bit rough on cosmetics so I tore it down, cleaned every part, painted and put back together. It came with factory taper attachment and about every accessory available back then. If the little lady would allow I would set it up in the living room.
IMG_0508~photo.JPG

Lathe 1.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0486~photo.JPG
    IMG_0486~photo.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 110
Keep It Simple Stupid!
Spent a bunch of time rackin' my little pea brain tryin' to come up with a way to run the same ops on multiple parts. Came up with plenty of overly complicated, over "engineered" ideas. Then in the old tool box I run across a little screwless vise I built a few years back. "Hey dumbass, what if...?"
100_0493.JPG 100_0491.JPG
Added a stop, packed out the stationary jaw and threw it in the 4-jaw. Dial in the first part then one screw to tighten/loosen to swap in the rest. No more dialing in each individual part, easy peasy. :doh:Shoulda thought of this earlier!

Back