1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    ...and you thought motorcycles were an addictive hobby...HA!...and so it begins.:rolleyes:

gggGary, Jim and 2XSive like this.
  2. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    thumbnail_20200311_143022.jpg CIMG2875Small.jpg Here it sits in my pole barn waiting for the Kubota to help hoist it off the trailer. Second pic is stolen from the internet in what it should ideally look like once restored.

3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Well like Beags said..... now ya stepped in it. ;) You gonna restore it or just clean it up?

2XSive likes this.
  4. Beags64

Michigan
    SWEET!! Just like my first PwrKraft lathe (mfgd. by Logan - sold by MontgomeryWard). "Just need a COUPLE pieces of tooling...", or so the saying goes

2XSive and Jim like this.
  5. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    My first reaction is to initially clean it all up and inspect everything as best as possible and make sure there is nothing critically worn out. If all is good, do a full tear down/restore. What do y'all suggest?

6. 2XSive

Michigan
    So Beags, was it a good lathe to learn on? What are the downfalls/pitfalls I should be aware? Lots of owners on Youtube and a Yahoo forum dedicated to these old Logans, and they seem to love em. It's got a full set of change gears, but I'm not into cutting threads at least not yet. Would have to get a different set of gears for metric...not worried about that at this time. There's a website available for ordering just about any part needed: Logan Actuator Co. https://store.lathe.com/

Jim likes this.
  7. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I did a light restoration (if that's even a thing :rolleyes: ) on my Atlas about 4 yrs ago. It's the same age as the lathe you just picked up. I enjoyed doing it but.... if I had it to do over, I'd prolly just clean it up and make it usable. Restorations are for museums. I use this one and it really doesn't look restored anymore.

IMG_20200311_152823.jpg

GLJ, 59Tebo and 2XSive like this.
  8. 2XSive

Michigan
    I'm always blown away at all the creative uses I see with lathes on this forum. Your lathe still looks great Jim. I just like having a clean shop with nice looking and practical use tools. So yeah, a partial/light restore sounds like a good approach.

Jake650 and Jim like this.
  9. Jim

Just like you Larry, I'm just a rookie. First time I ever used a lathe... was this Atlas after it was back together. Main reason I restored it was it came to me in a half a dozen cardboard boxes. It was like putting a jigsaw puzzle together... having never seen a jigsaw. If it was already together, I'd prolly just have used it.
    I still have a lot to learn about spinning chunks of metal.

2XSive likes this.
  10. Beags64

Michigan
    I'm with Jim, clean her up, make any needed repairs and start throwin' chips. I had ZERO experience when I got mine. Mr. Pete, Tom's Techniques and others on UTube got me started. I liked mine so well bought another Logan - mod.920 11x24 - that I still run today.
    Metal chips are like potato chips...once you start it's hard to stop!

GLJ, 59Tebo, 2XSive and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ratranger

Ratranger XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Got the mill unloaded into storage in oklahoma until I get a house. 20200311_151612.jpg

GLJ, gggGary, 2XSive and 1 other person like this.
  12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Oh man we gotta see before pics! Search lathe leveling, there's simple acurate diy solutions out there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    2XSive and Jim like this.
  13. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Agreed. Amen. If it isn't dinged, scratched, dirty, greasy, etc., it isn't abuse, it's use. If you're crashing the deck, breaking things, ripping out gears... different story. Take a class. Better yet, get some class. Go ahead, 2XSive, set it up and make something!
    waterworld.jpg Deacon says "...Don't just stand there... MAKE something!!!..."

gggGary, GLJ, 2XSive and 1 other person like this.
  14. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

2XSive and gggGary like this.
  15. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Like the work light! Just hope you did not empty that bottle while running the lathe!

gggGary, 2XSive and Jim like this.
  16. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

What I find interesting in the machining enthusiasts forums is the vast number of projects that involve tool rebuilding and attachments fabrication/acquisition.

More so than actually making other things.

Quite a hobby, huh?

Downeaster, Jim, 59Tebo and 3 others like this.
  17. Beags64

Michigan
    I'd wager that a solid 1/3 of the time I'm making tooling/fixtures/jigs to do some other op. But it's a win-win situation, a new tool & experience always a good combo.

Jim, TwoManyXS1Bs, 59Tebo and 2 others like this.
  18. Ratranger

Ratranger XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

So I bought a random machine today. A Whitney #6 horizontal mill. It's little, about 4ft high, has a BS 9 taper( I can buy a collet set on ebay). Should be interesting to mess with, hasn't been run since the 60s.
    20200406_131616_HDR.jpg 20200406_131622_HDR.jpg 20200406_131632.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, 2XSive and 5 others like this.
  19. Beags64

Michigan
    Looks quite similar to the U.S. Machine Tool #1 I had for a while, never did get it running
    DSCN1303.JPG DSCN1306.JPG

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  20. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

20200331_201224.jpg
    I've got my fair share or tools at disposal. The only thing these two beauts are missing is digital readouts. I have been looking for an opportunity to make something for my bike with these. I usually don't have to use em much.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020