Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Now you need to make a pedestal mount to take full advantage of the 360° rotation. It never ends does it.... :rolleyes:
It's an upgrade for the old 5" vice on the Millrite. ;)
vice b.jpg 20180417_090159.jpg
You are right though, it never does end. :cool:

Don't feel bad, I have 3 drill press vises, a kurt 6", a 10" manual indexer, and an 8" rotary table. I've had to find storage spots for them and they aren't light.

image.jpeg
I think this were I ask this question. My Standard Modern lathe has a problem I need some help with. I can push the carriage left and right simply by leaning on it. In my mind it should only move using the hand wheel.. Consequently, when I try to end face any material the carriage moves away from the chuck. Where do I start to look for the problem? If I disengage the feed drive and then engage the feed lever, the carriage will remain stationary.
Thanks in advance.
Stephen

Sounds like your half nuts are disengaged in the saddle.

Sounds to me like something in the apron, hand wheel gear, rack gear or something in that area.

Does the hand wheel move the carriage?
Not sure about that particular machine but on my Logan the half nuts are only engaged during threading ops. Hand wheel drives a gear up and down the rack gear on the bottom of the front way. Power feed is driven by a feather key on the lead screw, through a clutch.

The hand wheel is disengaged when feed is selected so when you deselect feed, the hand wheel must be "re-engaged"
Whats the model number?

My Logan has a bolt head like the one in your pic that locks the carriage in place when facing off.
upload_2020-12-9_8-33-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-9_8-32-33.png
    upload_2020-12-9_8-32-33.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 84
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Thanks GLJ. My lathe has the same nut that locks the carriage to the bed. It is pretty loose.
Took the machine apart today.(it's a Standard Modern utillathe 10").
The only thing I found was the rack hanging from the bed was loose. Not sure what else I'm lookin for but it needed cleaning anyway.im also not sure how to proceed any further. Have to think on it for a while.

Thanks Gary. Standard Modern has a similar manual on their website.
Item 51 on page 22, saddle clamp. Is this used to add drag to the carriage for this very reason?

It's here, at last.
A flurry of activity over the past week and suddenly it arrived at 7am.
Unloading it from the delivery van was a hoot; no lifting gear and only an old hospital bed to act as a kind of loading platform.
Got it off and sheeted it up until my engine crane arrives, then I can move it into the workshop.
The driver was run off his feet, delivering items all over Ireland this weekend and back and forth again before Xmas, as people try to get stuff brought over before the stupidity of B wrecks it takes place.

boxford arrival 2.jpg
boxford arrival 1.jpg
boxford arrival 3.jpg

For those who missed my earlier post, it's a Boxford model A, a clone of the South Bend 9".

Okay where were we ?
Screenshot at 2021-01-01 15-13-04.png

This is the earliest (okay nearly so) reference I find to an extension bracket for metric threads.
Screenshot at 2021-01-01 15-15-44.png

On the left is the instructions for the extension bracket and the M6-25 bracket for the 618 lathe identifying position "D".
On the right is the chart for the Mk II identifying position "B" but making no mention of the extension bracket.

M6_25_bracket.png

Above is a drawing I scrounged from the webz. A cleaner copy is available from
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/

I'll have to sit down and do the complete ratio/conversion myself just to verify I'm close to 50.8 TPI,
or as close to .5 mm pitch as possible.

details as they happen , film at 11:00 :)

The bigger atlas has 3 fingers on the gear holder, but a full set of gears leaves you a few short for metric. I ended up having to buy a couple gears and an arbor for my 10" atlas to do metric. I could wish for a quick change, but since my home machines are just for hobby it's fine.

I did just order a gas heater for the garage. That way I can get out there and not freeze.

Back