Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

View attachment 182271 View attachment 182272 View attachment 182273
- - - Next stupid lathe trick I attempt will be the air die grinder/tool-post/abortifact.
I tried to heat treat the drill rod and came out with pretzel.
Rough turn, harden, temper back, grind....
I'm not looking forward to all that grinding dust all over my lathe.
to be continued

Hi kopcicle,
consider enhancing the abortifact by adding a dust collector hood connected to your shop vac hose.

Hi kopcicle,
consider enhancing the abortifact by adding a dust collector hood connected to your shop vac hose.
I do that already or at least a version of it. Thing is in order to capture the grinding mess as it comes off the cut I may have to series my two commercial Milwaukee "real" shop vacs like I did for the flow bench. LOUD

New toy. Bench top model. Trouble is I have no empty bench top space.
I prescribe to the theory: If you buy it you will make room.
View attachment 182237
Had to create room. Needed more drawer space anyway.
upload_2021-1-14_8-55-28.png

When not in use. Need to find new spot for pipes and trash tote. Never ends!
upload_2021-1-14_8-56-16.png

I went gas on the heater because my electric bill hasn't gone above $50 yet here, gas has been under $80 heating the whole house, and I haven't had an electrician install a sub panel yet. I need the sub panel so I can run the compressor, mill, TIG, and some others. I can kind of run the mill with a custom "extension cord" run into the dryer outlet.

That's why I need a sub panel. So I can have the VFD wired to its own breaker, compressor on its own, a 220 outlet to swap between the horizontal mill and TIG, and a 20a 110 for the plasma and MIG.

With the home made extension cord I can run the mill, but have to have the door between garage and house open.

That's why I need a sub panel. So I can have the VFD wired to its own breaker, compressor on its own, a 220 outlet to swap between the horizontal mill and TIG, and a 20a 110 for the plasma and MIG.
With the home made extension cord I can run the mill, but have to have the door between garage and house open.

Hi 'ranger,
last week my neighbor's garage turned into a pile of blackened lumber collapsed onto the two cars inside it.
Likely cause was faulty wiring.
Best you wire your shop strictly to code because your insurance company will seek any violation to avoid paying out.

Best you wire your shop strictly to code
Ditto, Rr. Years ago, I installed a sub-panel in my basement, for the whole downstairs, but with the idea of installing central air in the future. My neighbor, an electrical engineer, designed it, helped me source materials, and built it to code. Safe and good to go. When we had the central air installed, the panel is on a wall, adjacent to the furnace, which made it the easiest install the furnace guys had ever seen. Unless you are an electrician, you should get one.

Don't worry guys, I don't have a sub panel yet because I have to call an electritian who isn't too busy to get me a quote. I've called 2 and was told they might be able to do something in a few months.

The "extension cord" that can run the mill is 10ga 3 wire. It's only plugged in if the mill is in use, otherwise it's unplugged. It's not my preferred way to do things, but until I can get an electrician in its what I can do.

Ooooh, I'd have been all over that little drill press like a cheap suit!

Looking at the spindle dome, I though sure it was a Delta.

Do you mind if I ask roughly what you gave for it?

Back