1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Dec 2, 2017.

1. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Addict

Two years ago I had mentioned to my brother who would frequent estate sales that I was looking for a metal lathe and mill, he found a 10x30 Atlas he picked up for $350 for me and it took a bit to make the exchange as he lives in WV and I'm in GA. During transport he broke one of the Zamak knobs. I got one from a guy for $30, lathe needed rewiring so I spent about another $15 on cable and $75 to get a local electric motor shop to wire it in with the forward/reverse switch. A welder friend made a repair to the motor mounting bracket that had a piece broken out. It was pretty well equipped but I could tell that way too primitive and time consuming to really be functional for what I was looking for. Ended up selling it for $500 to a local farmer for his barn and started looking again.
    The past two years since every time I find something that looks interesting it's gone before I get there or can arrange to get cash to pay for it.
    Finally 3 weeks ago I happened on a 12x36 Harbor Freight/Grizzly that runs on single phase 220 and just got it wired up last night by tapping off the dryer in the laundry room next to my garage.
    I bought it from an estate, the old guy used to repair cars in his barn, he also had an old round ram M head B'port with 30" table and a nice 18" Polish lathe but the daughter wasn't ready to let them go yet even though she had them listed.
    She had the B'port way over priced because she didn't understand the model differences, "All mills look alike" so she had it priced at $6k. I printed some things I found online that they sell for $1200-$1500 all day and it kind of burst her bubble.
    Looking forward to turning up some tracker rear wheel adapters soon.
    Recently purchase a second Trackmaster or perhaps T'master knock off frame and some 7 spoke Morris wheels I'm looking to fit up. Should be fun.

buzzword, Jim and gggGary like this.
  2. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Wooooooo!

and likewise, Hoooooo!

I've had a Horror-Fright quality engine crane (tho not actually from HF) for years. Plenty adequate for my occasional use, plus the legs fold up and it stores in a relatively small footprint.

One disadvantage to the "fold 'em/store 'em" cranes is that with the boom all the way down in storage position, it takes a LOT of pumps on the long ram jack to get the boom up far enough to extend it, much less actually lift anything with it. For some time now, I've lusted after an air-over-hydraulic jack to put on it.

Dicking around with that generator brought the idea to the surface again and seeing as I've made a couple of bucks off Dale this month, I looked around for one. Initially, the $170-ish price tag put me off, but I found one on Amazon for $110 and free Prime shipping, so I jumped on it.

It appears to be identical (and quite probably is...) to the one Northern Hydraulic wanted $170 plus shipping for.

Just got done installing it. Had to machine the bottom bracket a little as it missed being wide enough to fit the crane mount by this much. Other than that, it's a bolt-on and it works slick as a smelt. It's an air hog. I'd hate to try to run it off a portable air tank, but in the shop it's fine.

Haven't tried to actually LIFT anything under air, but even if it just gets the boom to operating position without wearing my pumping arm out, it's worth the investment to me.

In other news, there's a $700 J-head Bridgeport for sale within reasonable driving distance. I drooled over the ad for some time, but that pesky Reality kept giving me the stink eye. No tooling and really, no reasonable place to put it, especially for something that would get used once every other Blue Moon. If I were 20 years younger maybe, but it just doesn't make any sense now.

Jim, RC4MAN, Grimly and 1 other person like this.
  3. Downeaster

Played with it a bit this morning (the jack, ya preverts...) and found two things:

1. It will lift full rated load (950 pounds with the boom in the 1/2 ton position) using air and do so in a controlled manner. If I needed to adjust something by a fraction of an inch, I'd probably still use the hand pump function, but for hoisting stuff up onto a trailer and such, the air works fine.

2. The air valve has a bail on it that drops into position and locks the handle down so it keeps pumping if you let go. Annoying and potentially dangerous. I took it off. I believe I have the stamina/patience to stand there and hold the lever down while jacking it up from the stowed position and I can't foresee any need to use it otherwise. I CAN foresee something getting all stove to catshit because I forgot to release the bail.

Jim, RC4MAN and 59Tebo like this.
  4. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Addict

Several years ago my old neighbor downloaded some plans off the internet for a bike lift. Basic structural steel and one air/oil cylinder from Harbor Freight.
    Material pricing being what it is, it was not much more to build two so I bought a cylinder as well, the angle iron, tread plate, bolts/nuts etc. and fabricated two, one for him and one for me.
    Discovered later that I could have bought one from Harbor Freight for about the same money and it had a rear wheel drop out plate, DUH!!!!!
    Still have it and it works great

5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm guessin' mine came outta the same Chines factory they all come out of. I discovered years ago that if you grab the boom by hand and lift it up to where you want, count to 5 and let go... it'll stay where you put it. Much easier than pumping forever....

Grimly, RC4MAN, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  6. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

Dug this one out of a barn the other day.

wouldn’t turn on when I got there. They wanted a grand for it when I got there - it left in my truck with my wallet $200 bucks lighter.

got it home - pulled the motor and found exposed wires shorting out. 15 minute rewire and it runs like a champ.

still gotta pull it all apart and clean and paint it but that’s easy work.

a few chucks - tail stock - a few steady rests - live/dead centers. Tons of cutting tools and boring bars.

ways are nice( no ware spots), carriage and cross feed work nicely.

once clean I’ll stick a quick change tool post on it.

C5018866-8153-4A43-B370-4E2153C5EF37.jpeg

7. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Bargain! A couple of side jobs, and you'll have gotten it for "free"! It's for you, but you can make money on it. Good score! :thumbsup:

WideAWAKE and gggGary like this.
  8. kopcicle

kopcicle antidisestablishmentarian

@WideAWAKE you have don well grasshopper, now get me the numbers :)

WideAWAKE likes this.
  9. WideAWAKE

haha the list of little projects I’ve passed on or paid someone else to do is much to long to list. About time to start recouping my losses haha.

59Tebo and gggGary like this.
  10. WideAWAKE

:thumbsup:

11. "Shouldah, wouldah, couldah!" My father had a Hardinge milling maching with a Bridgeport head. I used it as a kid to make nylon rims for my "Model Motoring" cars. (I was a nerd in 8th grade and was in the Model Motoring Drag Racing club). My dad was a "Tool and Die" engineer for Bendix Aviation and would collect machines and work benches that were being removed from service. He would moonlight in the basement making small parts for various companies. I was part of his work force. I wish I knew 1/10th of what he knew about machining and metal.

Anyway, my brother sold the Milling machine. Shouldah kept it. Indexer and all the accessories. :banghead:

I do have a turret lathe annd a bunch of other things. Picts to be shown soon in your area!

TwoManyXS1Bs, 59Tebo and Jim like this.
  12. kopcicle

joo havs some readin to dooz :)

gggGary likes this.
  13. Downeaster

Jim likes this.
  14. kopcicle

if you wanted to make couple hundred of something ....

Jim and gggGary like this.
  15. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Addict

Yeah, back in the 70's as a young apprentice spent some time on a Hardinge DV59 second operation lathe with turret tail stock.
    Spitting out small bits, shafts, nozzles etc. you could knock out a bunch of carb jets if you had a notion. :laughing:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Marlin72xs likes this.
  16. Yep! Made 50,000 of these little caps, ~1" tall, ~3/8 diameter and threaded. All on a turret lathe fed with 16' bar stock. Made em in ~30 seconds. Your may be wondering, how does he remember this. Well, after you've made about 10,000 of these things, you can do it with your eyes closed. But of course, my Dad would hit me on the side of the head if I took my eyes off what I was doing. "You wanna lose a finger or an eye?" "Watch what you're doing!" "Never take your eyes off what you're doing!"

Hmmmm! I remember that too!

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, WideAWAKE and 2 others like this.
  17. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

20210225_061634.jpg
    Cool story Marlin72xs. Before CNC's there were fleets of these

18. Yes, and they were built like tanks. To continue, after making thousands of these little parts manually, my Dad finds what I remember as the OOG machine, but it was an Automatic Screw Machine. Pre-CNC, it made these parts automatically, but all cuts and procedures were performed by cams that he learned to cut to determine the tool and speed.

https://www.brogan-patrick.com/blog/the-history-of-automatic-screw-machines/

That was his thing. Setup took days or even weeks, but when he got it going, he would stand and watch and measure every 20 or so parts and empty the bin occasionally. I was replaced by a machine in the 60's.

I wonder if there is anyone alive today who could make that thing work or who would want to?

automatic-screw-machines.jpg unnamed.jpg

19. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Addict

Spent a lot of hours humping one of these as a youngun, W&S #3 Running that turret back and forth made you feel like a ships captain 5b9add18989b45b69b702b5976ed66d1.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and Marlin72xs like this.
  20. Yes, the nylon rims I used to make were sometimes smaller than a carb jet. Making those tiny threads would be difficult! It's Friday! :cheers:

Jim likes this.