1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Dec 2, 2017.

1. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty Project collector XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Best thing about your "new" compressor is the vee twin cast iron pump. I'm betting it will run a DA sander without issue. You probably couldn't find a single stage that puts out more air. That's a lifetime acquisition.

gggGary, Paul Sutton, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  2. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

At 14.5CFM it'll run everything I own without a doubt. This pump has already been rebuilt once and runs like a champ. It's WAY quieter than my previous oil-less turd of a compressor.

3. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Rustie,
    nice unit! There ain't no such thing as too many CFMs.
    About the 2x4 floor mounts, you'll do better using hard rubber pads.
    I scrounged beat-up ice-hockey pucks from the local skating rink to soft-mount my compressor
    but even buying new ones won't break the bank.

RustiePyles likes this.
  4. RustiePyles

I used 1/4” silicone sheet under the 2x4’s. It’s what I had laying around. The silicone sheet works really well.

Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  5. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Outsmarted myself once again XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I’m about to inherit these due to my Dads eyesight failing. Gotta learn a little more about how to use them. 6CC6A3E0-AA58-423F-B7DF-CB465D44FD8B.jpeg A226ED0B-E901-4F50-A99B-72FD1C968CD1.jpeg

Grimly, Rhy650, RC4MAN and 7 others like this.
  6. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Those are both great 'serious home shop" machines, with excellent farkles! Spent some time with a millrite and really liked it. DRO and power feed, Premo. :thumbsup:

7. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Wales
    Sad about your dads eyes; but you are a lucky b’stard.

Rhy650, Jim and RustiePyles like this.
  8. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Well if he's up to giving some lessons I would be spending some quality time with him learning as much as possible!

Jim, Rhy650, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  9. RustiePyles

That Mill-Rite is a really cool little knee mill! And with a DRO! It looks like you Dad took really good care of it with those covers.

Jim, Rhy650, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  10. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Addict

Picked up a 12x36 CM lathe like that back in the spring, sure would love to have the mill as well.

Jim, gggGary, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rhy650

Rhy650 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I have a similar sized lath and mill, and also this gorgeous little Southbend that Dad restored:
    upload_2021-10-18_8-25-52.jpeg
    I was able to pickup the basics from Dad, but that probably only amounted to <1% of his machining knowledge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a "starter project" or two that would use the lathe and/or mill?

Jan_P, Beags64, RustiePyles and 5 others like this.
  12. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Outsmarted myself once again XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

He also kept full covers over them when not in use.

13. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks like he has a motorized fore/aft travel screw for the head support gib?
    That'd be a great tweak on a millrite.

Adamc and Jim like this.
  14. fredintoon

Hi Ww,
    Unless your Dad's got one I'd suggest you buy a copy of "Machinery's Handbook" to go with the machine tools
    Even a used copy ain't cheap (my 1946 edition has more useful stuff than my 1965 edition BTW) but the first time
    it's content saves you from an error will pay for it's purchase.

Mailman, gggGary, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  15. RustiePyles

Buy this book and memorize it, and as mentioned a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Thats a sweet lathe! My copy of Machinery's Handbook is from the late 40's and I love it, any copy new or old will be expensive. The other book is like $5 but it's a great book printed by South Bend. It's the book that would have actually come with your lathe. Build a model steam engine, great entry level projects.

Mailman, Rhy650, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  16. RustiePyles

@Rhy650 here is a Machinery's Hnadbook 10th edition (1940) for $24.99

Rhy650, gggGary, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  17. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Addict

I've got the 17th I bought when I started in the 70's and the LARGE PRINT 25th I use as a desk reference though I like the earlier one better, and I prefer the ones with label thumb indexes as easier to locate important things more easily. I also have I think a 2nd edition that I got with a batch tools I got from the widow of a buddy's father-in-law along with some interesting direct read test indicators and other unique tools.

gggGary, Adamc, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  18. RustiePyles

2nd edition? :eek: That would be 1900ish wouldn't it? I'd love to get my hands on one that early. I have a pretty big library of turn of the century-mid century industrial arts type books and manuals. So much arcane forgotten knowledge.

Rhy650, gggGary, Adamc and 1 other person like this.
  19. fredintoon

Hi Rustie,
    I have a 17th edition of Machinery's Handbook that a co-worker gave me when I left the UK
    and a 24th edition that left with me when I was laid off in Saskatoon.
    A friend sent me a copy of a 1913 copyright Rogers Machinist's Guide.
    Apart from the machine tools all having flat belt drives from line-shafts; the descriptions of the table of elements saying
    "there's about 80 elements, some of which are metals and are useful" and the only people shown being white men
    the actual machine tools shown in the book's illustrations wouldn't look out of place in a modern shop.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Paul Sutton, Mailman, Jim and 2 others like this.
  20. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Wales
    Flippin’ Heck, I don’t even have a lathe but am loving this.
    My dad made his own lathe out of bits of metal he brought home from work. An old washing machine motor for power. He used this to make working model steam engines out of scrap metal. Even a double acting cylinder static engine.
    When he died mum let some A## H0le clear his tiny work shop and the A.Hole nicked all his kit and tools.

Mailman, kshansen, Jim and 1 other person like this.