Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Got a new (to me) air compressor. A coworker moved into a house that already had a compressor so he sold me his old one for $250. Its a 6HP 60gallon, 14.5cfm at 90psi Puma. I cleaned it up and serviced it. Added an extension to the pump oil drain so I could change the oil easier.
View attachment 199902
Best thing about your "new" compressor is the vee twin cast iron pump. I'm betting it will run a DA sander without issue. You probably couldn't find a single stage that puts out more air. That's a lifetime acquisition.

Best thing about your "new" compressor is the vee twin cast iron pump. I'm betting it will run a DA sander without issue. You probably couldn't find a single stage that puts out more air. That's a lifetime acquisition.
At 14.5CFM it'll run everything I own without a doubt. This pump has already been rebuilt once and runs like a champ. It's WAY quieter than my previous oil-less turd of a compressor.

Got a new (to me) air compressor. A coworker moved into a house that already had a compressor so he sold me his old one for $250. Its a 6HP 60gallon, 14.5cfm at 90psi Puma. I cleaned it up and serviced it. Added an extension to the pump oil drain so I could change the oil easier.
View attachment 199902
Hi Rustie,
nice unit! There ain't no such thing as too many CFMs.
About the 2x4 floor mounts, you'll do better using hard rubber pads.
I scrounged beat-up ice-hockey pucks from the local skating rink to soft-mount my compressor
but even buying new ones won't break the bank.

Hi Rustie,
nice unit! There ain't no such thing as too many CFMs.
About the 2x4 floor mounts, you'll do better using hard rubber pads.
I scrounged beat-up ice-hockey pucks from the local skating rink to soft-mount my compressor
but even buying new ones won't break the bank.
I used 1/4” silicone sheet under the 2x4’s. It’s what I had laying around. The silicone sheet works really well.

I’m about to inherit these due to my Dads eyesight failing. Gotta learn a little more about how to use them. 6CC6A3E0-AA58-423F-B7DF-CB465D44FD8B.jpegA226ED0B-E901-4F50-A99B-72FD1C968CD1.jpeg

Gotta learn a little more about how to use them.
I'm in the same boat. I have a similar sized lath and mill, and also this gorgeous little Southbend that Dad restored:
upload_2021-10-18_8-25-52.jpeg

I was able to pickup the basics from Dad, but that probably only amounted to <1% of his machining knowledge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a "starter project" or two that would use the lathe and/or mill?

I’m about to inherit these due to my Dads eyesight failing. Gotta learn a little more about how to use them.View attachment 199976View attachment 199977

Hi Ww,
Unless your Dad's got one I'd suggest you buy a copy of "Machinery's Handbook" to go with the machine tools
Even a used copy ain't cheap (my 1946 edition has more useful stuff than my 1965 edition BTW) but the first time
it's content saves you from an error will pay for it's purchase.

I'm in the same boat. I have a similar sized lath and mill, and also this gorgeous little Southbend that Dad restored:
View attachment 200032
I was able to pickup the basics from Dad, but that probably only amounted to <1% of his machining knowledge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a "starter project" or two that would use the lathe and/or mill?
Buy this book and memorize it, and as mentioned a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Thats a sweet lathe! My copy of Machinery's Handbook is from the late 40's and I love it, any copy new or old will be expensive. The other book is like $5 but it's a great book printed by South Bend. It's the book that would have actually come with your lathe. Build a model steam engine, great entry level projects.

I've got the 17th I bought when I started in the 70's and the LARGE PRINT 25th I use as a desk reference though I like the earlier one better, and I prefer the ones with label thumb indexes as easier to locate important things more easily. I also have I think a 2nd edition that I got with a batch tools I got from the widow of a buddy's father-in-law along with some interesting direct read test indicators and other unique tools.

I also have I think a 2nd edition that I got with a batch tools I got from the widow of a buddy's father-in-law along with some interesting direct read test indicators and other unique tools.
2nd edition? :eek: That would be 1900ish wouldn't it? I'd love to get my hands on one that early. I have a pretty big library of turn of the century-mid century industrial arts type books and manuals. So much arcane forgotten knowledge.

2nd edition? :eek: That would be 1900ish wouldn't it? I'd love to get my hands on one that early. I have a pretty big library of turn of the century-mid century industrial arts type books and manuals. So much arcane forgotten knowledge.

Hi Rustie,
I have a 17th edition of Machinery's Handbook that a co-worker gave me when I left the UK
and a 24th edition that left with me when I was laid off in Saskatoon.
A friend sent me a copy of a 1913 copyright Rogers Machinist's Guide.
Apart from the machine tools all having flat belt drives from line-shafts; the descriptions of the table of elements saying
"there's about 80 elements, some of which are metals and are useful" and the only people shown being white men
the actual machine tools shown in the book's illustrations wouldn't look out of place in a modern shop.

Last edited:
Flippin’ Heck, I don’t even have a lathe but am loving this.
My dad made his own lathe out of bits of metal he brought home from work. An old washing machine motor for power. He used this to make working model steam engines out of scrap metal. Even a double acting cylinder static engine.
When he died mum let some A## H0le clear his tiny work shop and the A.Hole nicked all his kit and tools.

Back