Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Oh she knows all about the swarf! She REALLY likes the way the hidden chips in the carpet stick to the bottoms of her bare feet (sometimes I forget to take off my "garage" boots off in the garage).

The flat, L-shaped bits in the second picture are broach shims. Used behind a manual broach to set final keyway depth.

They had a REALLY nice set of SAE and Metric broaches at the cannery and I'd pretty much guarandamntee that I was the only one in the place that knew what they were, and the probability approaches unity that they went right in the metal recycling bin when the place was sold.

My latest lathe project was to repair the lawnmower where an M6 bolt had snapped in the alloy. I drilled the broken bolt out, enlarged the hole in the alloy and tapped to M8. Then put an M8 bolt in the lathe, drilled the center out and tapped to M6 to make an insert to fit the M8. Repair done. Now that is why we need lathes and milling machines! This afternoon I need to make a small brass adapter on the lathe for my XS fuel line so the filter can be easily accessed/cleaned on the roadside should it block again.

The flat, L-shaped bits in the second picture are broach shims. Used behind a manual broach to set final keyway depth.
They had a REALLY nice set of SAE and Metric broaches at the cannery and I'd pretty much guarandamntee that I was the only one in the place that knew what they were, and the probability approaches unity that they went right in the metal recycling bin when the place was sold.

Where I worked they had a nice old Sheldon lathe that I was the only person to ever use it in the 30 years it was there. Not saying I was any kind of machinist, far from it!, but I was able to do some basic repairs using it. Also made up a good selection of tools to press bushings in various parts of the quarry equipment. I've been gone for three years and highly doubt anyone has turned the switch on in that time. Very sad to think of all the tools of various types in this country that are just sitting and rusting away.:mad:

View attachment 118783 View attachment 118784 View attachment 118785 View attachment 118786
Yep, only $17.99 for a sprocket from Family Farm & Home (not counting machines, tooling, labor...). "See honey I'm SAVING money". Right?
Hey Beags I gotta ask.. I see the big ole rotary table sitting RIGHT NEXT to the vice you have the sprocket clamped in................
Yeah I was the first to stick swarf from the living room floor into my bare foot! Probably best it was me.

100_0173.JPG

Another Craigslist score from a few years ago, 12" Japanese import for $150. One of those deals that are too hard to pass up.

Finally got to do some work on the 2 wheeler today. A long time ago I started making a copy of Mikes XS oil filter. A fair bit of lathe work and used the mill with rotary table as well.
Got the bike ready for its first start in a long time only to find the fuel link between the GPZ 500 carbs was leaking.
Start-up will have to wait until next week if I can track down some O rings.
View attachment 117104 View attachment 117105 View attachment 117106 View attachment 117107 View attachment 117108

It has taken 3 edits to get this post sorted. Don't know why the last picture is so big .
Kinda late but that's awesome work Signal!

Ahh...misunderstood the question. Got a DRO on the mill so the bolt circle function on that makes things nice and simple. Indicate center, punch in circle diameter, number of holes, start/end angles and it does all the math. Nice and repeatable. Did both sets of holes in one set up by just changing a few numbers.

View attachment 118788
Another Craigslist score from a few years ago, 12" Japanese import for $150. One of those deals that are too hard to pass up.

So, educate this sledgehammer machinist: Why did you set up the job in the picture on the rotary table?

I'm guessing that the two holes outboard of the clamps needed to be at the same radius from the pin in the center?

A rotary table is on my toy list for my mini-mill. Per usual, I'm going to end up spending at least as much on tooling as I did on the mill eventually...

Where I worked they had a nice old Sheldon lathe that I was the only person to ever use it in the 30 years it was there. Not saying I was any kind of machinist, far from it!, but I was able to do some basic repairs using it. Also made up a good selection of tools to press bushings in various parts of the quarry equipment. I've been gone for three years and highly doubt anyone has turned the switch on in that time. Very sad to think of all the tools of various types in this country that are just sitting and rusting away.:mad:

When they sold the place, I probably could have bought a Bridgeport mill and a Hendy lathe pretty reasonably. Likely could even have afforded to have them moved.

What would have broken the bank is putting up a building to put them in and either running 3 phase or building a rotary phase converter big enough to run them.

Correct you are sir. Was being lazy and trying to do all my rotary ops without moving the vise but as always didn't work out - ran out of X travel. So now gotta take the vise off, move rotary table, re-indicate, THEN continue on.

Back