Is it worth it?

IrishBastard85

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a basket case(my first build) and am wondering, is it worth the time and money I'm gonna put into it? Its a $200 rust bucket that I plan to chop and stretch a little. I have some leftover parts that came with a CB750 I bought and they are Yamaha parts!! Thanks!

Attachments

• 00o0o_hSqS3cFJ718_600x450.jpg
    00o0o_hSqS3cFJ718_600x450.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 261
Hey IB85---It's questionable weather it's worth $200 but what's not questionable is that it's not an XS650. tim

That's my question, the guy doesn't know if it even spins and obviously it's been neglected. I'm looking for a project but not a pile of junk that'll never be worth a crap.

That's a TX500, not an XS650. Not worth $200 in that condition, actually not worth that in any shape in my opinion.

Everything in that pic is junk. And none are an XS650. If you don't know what one looks like, you are a long way from being ready to buy one.

Your first build and if you have not been around the motorcycle repair block a time or two a basketcase is a poor place to start. You should be able to find a decent running "real XS650" in Arkansas for 800 or less 'specially this time of year. But it takes time and patience to nose out the deals. Ask around, home, work, church, shops, bars, there are XS650s squirrelled away everywhere.

http://fayar.craigslist.org/mcy/4569921941.html

The green one is gone. If I knew exactly what I was looking at I wouldn't need you or a forum would I jd750ace? I didn't say it was gonna be my first bike just my first basket case.

Even though my last bike(CB 750) was close to a basket case, I'm really looking for a bike that my 15yo brother can learn to work on and ride. Thanks gggGary, guess I missed that one floating around.

The green one is gone. If I knew exactly what I was looking at I wouldn't need you or a forum would I jd750ace? I didn't say it was gonna be my first bike just my first basket case.

Calm down bud. Just saying, if you are "looking" for an XS650, take a good read here at what one of our fine members has put together and educate yourself. By the time you get through these pages, you'll know most of what you need to know to at least see if something is cobbled together, all there, original or a mash-up, what have you. Research and educate yourself before you do anymore shopping.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30569

good eye weaselbeak.
So, ib85, when you do get a real xs650, your not going to use this forum? none other like it. cool yer jets.

Not at all what I said angus67, I just don't like people talking down to me like jd750ace came off as doing. I just never messed with older bikes until my CB750. Kinda like them so figured I'd branch out into Yamaha xs650s seeing the after market for them.
I didn't trust the guy selling is why I asked, not to be told " If you don't know what one looks like, you are a long way from being ready to buy one." I'm thinking a kick only bar hopper would be awesome and was thinking a xs650 would do nicely. Am I wrong?

And jd750ace, I haven't been really shopping for anything just saw it while I was browsing CL and wondered about it. You came off assholish is all. I know I'm new here but been a mechanic all my life just not on Yamaha's.

You are right a beat up XS650 is a great starting place for a custom. Just gotta know your stuff and find the RIGHT one.

Spending some time reading here before and AFTER a purchase is the best deal going on getting a reliable bike together.
Yes the CL'r didn't know shit about what he was selling. I looked around Arkansas and didn't find much on CL some CLs will let you get by with posting an XS650 wanted ad in motorcycles that can shake loose some shed bikes.

Offer him $50. And maybe a 6-pack of pounders. At worst you could strip and part it out. Not sure what the parts market is like on those bikes. Honestly, I'd pass and find a runner.

Thanks gggGary, that is exactly why I joined this forum and ask the question I did. and I'm not gonna waste $50 or a sixer on that bike, $50 can go in my other beater project and the sixer, well its gone lol. like I was saying, I happened upon this one and didn't know a lot about xs650s so I figured I'd ask the guys that have been into the for a while. Thanks for the input and I guess I'm gonna do a lil shoppin aroound

I am looking at a basket case(my first build) and am wondering, is it worth the time and money I'm gonna put into it? Its a $200 rust bucket that I plan to chop and stretch a little. I have some leftover parts that came with a CB750 I bought and they are Yamaha parts!! Thanks!

Hi IB,
$200 is way too high for what's shown and like they all said, it ain't an XS650.
But even if you only paid $20 and you really did want to rebuild the thing, is it worth the time and money you will need to put into it?
If it works and looks good when you are done and your kid brother learns by it, sure it is.
Never mind getting paid for your time, will you get back the money you put into it if you resell the completed bike?
Like almost all of the other projects shown in this list, no effin' way.

Back