Is my bike an XS650SE or XS650SH?

Honeymonster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just joined the site so hello to everyone!
I have just purchased an XS650 Special (first registered in September 1981 in the UK).
The engine and frame have matching numbers (Engine 3L1-041846 and frame X-3L1-041846).
According to the records listed on this website, this is an XS650 US Custom (EU).

The records listed on this website also state that 1981 is XS-SH spec yet all my records, including original 1980/81 owners manual refers to an XS-SE, however SE is listed on your site as 1977/78.
Just wanted to know if anyone can help clarify this for me please, especially for when I need to order parts in the future.
Many thanks for any help / advice in clarifying this matter.
Kind regards, Honeymonster.

Welcome to the forum, Honeymonster.
We've seen this several times before, where UK registration postdates the manufacturing year.
Use your serial numbers and the forum's guide to confirm your model ID...

Hey and welcome honey monster!

ttwp.gif

The neck label lists date of manufacture, typically in the model year or one year before, IE an 81 will have been built in July of 80 to June of 81 Also if the bike is still mostly stock take a look at skulls thread for picture IDs

The letter suffix started with the 74 TX650A. The went to the next letter each year, as in the 75 was an XS650B, 76 was the XS650C, and so on.
The E was a 78, H was 79.
Leo

Some of the parts used on the bike can help I.D. the year, or at least narrow it down some. A '78 Special would have BS38 carbs and a points ignition. The wheels would be mags and the rear would have a disc. An '81 would have BS34 carbs and an electronic ignition. The rear wheel would have a drum brake. The wheels could be spoke or mag depending on the model. There were two models in '81, the more deluxe (and expensive) Special and the budget Special II. The more expensive Special got the mag wheels, the cheaper Special II got spoke wheels. An '81 would also have an oil sight glass window on the right side cover.

Pics are a necessity to help.

I have been collecting data and here is what i have found about your bike.

There have been instances where the registration date is later than the production/Vin no.

The no's match the 81 US Custom. There was a Dutch US Custom 1980, Model; 4G7 XS650SE. The English version Manual may have been used for your model. There seems to be no differences between the years 80/81 euro/uk models, Specials or standards. The same manual for the 79SE may have been used for the later 80 and 81 US customs

The euro/UK models differs from the US market so the normal run attributed to the US models, especially the specials, can't be used in Europe or UK.

First brochure is for, Model 3L1 / XS 650 SE, 1979.

Second and Third Brochures are for 4G7 Model / XS 650 SE, 1980.

Attachments

• fol5E6_8.jpg
    fol5E6_8.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 373
  • fol4G7-1.jpg
    fol4G7-1.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 353
  • fol4G7_2.jpg
    fol4G7_2.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Hey Honeymonster. Welcome from Northumberland. I agree, let's see some pics. The U.K. Registration process often skews model variations but your chassis number will be correct

Hi Paul and thanks for responding.
I'm hopeless with technology but i'll ask my daughter if she can download some pics.
My model is definitely an XS650 Special and the chassis number suggests it is a US Custom (EU) 1980-81 model.
The original owners manual is what threw me because it is for a 1981 XS650SE but I thought 'SE's' were from 1977/78. The fact Yamaha produced these manuals suggests that the 'SE' spec was still being used for the Specials in 1981.
Many thanks.

Some of the parts used on the bike can help I.D. the year, or at least narrow it down some. A '78 Special would have BS38 carbs and a points ignition. The wheels would be mags and the rear would have a disc. An '81 would have BS34 carbs and an electronic ignition. The rear wheel would have a drum brake. The wheels could be spoke or mag depending on the model. There were two models in '81, the more deluxe (and expensive) Special and the budget Special II. The more expensive Special got the mag wheels, the cheaper Special II got spoke wheels. An '81 would also have an oil sight glass window on the right side cover.
Many thanks 5twins.
It does have a sight glass window and definitely fits the 1981 Special spec that you describe with front disc / rear drum mag wheels so thanks for this information.
What still confuses me a little is in the future when I need to order / source parts for my bike. For engine parts do I go by the year (1981) or whether it is an SE, SF, SH etc, that's the bit that i'm confused about, and if so, is it an SE or SH spec? Hope I'm not confusing you as well!! Any help much appreciated.

Pics are a necessity to help.

I have been collecting data and here is what i have found about your bike.

There have been instances where the registration date is later than the production/Vin no.

The no's match the 81 US Custom. There was a Dutch US Custom 1980, Model; 4G7 XS650SE. The English version Manual may have been used for your model. There seems to be no differences between the years 80/81 euro/uk models, Specials or standards. The same manual for the 79SE may have been used for the later 80 and 81 US customs

The euro/UK models differs from the US market so the normal run attributed to the US models, especially the specials, can't be used in Europe or UK.

First brochure is for, Model 3L1 / XS 650 SE, 1979.

Second and Third Brochures are for 4G7 Model / XS 650 SE, 1980.
Thanks 650Skull.
Yes that's starting to make sense now, much appreciated.

There may be a bit of confusing model naming, with SE being used in places to describe a special of the 78 model year and elsewhere as a "Special Edition"? of any year. Is your bike points or TCI ignition? That and which carbs you are using are about the only major parts differences that might confuse you for more than a few seconds. Good news is that the parts are fairly easy to figure out, and many can be swapped from model to model,

There may be a bit of confusing model naming, with SE being used in places to describe a special of the 78 model year and elsewhere as a "Special Edition"? of any year. Is your bike points or TCI ignition? That and which carbs you are using are about the only major parts differences that might confuse you for more than a few seconds. Good news is that the parts are fairly easy to figure out, and many can be swapped from model to model,
Hi Gary, it's points

I think only the Us bikes got the TCI, but don't quote me on that.
As far as engine parts most all work on most years. If you tear yours down for engine rebuild you might find it has the 533 engine. It's marked on the rods. If so you have to use 533 pistons for a rebuild. The 447 pistons won't work. The 533 used longer rods with pistons with the pin hole higher up on the piston.
Things like cams cam chains guides are the same.
Leo

No worries Honeymonster. If you dump your photos onto something like photo shop then copy the URL link into your post you get the full picture in.
In the below snapshot from my photo bucket, you select the photo you want and click on the bottom URL marked with "IMG" to the left, then just paste it into the post.

460138D4-A80E-4432-80EF-B956996FF5A6_zpsioar9jzl.png

You can practice in the sand box ;)

Just a heads up for anyone really. If you have a smart phone download the app tap a talk. Once you do add this forum on your feed, it makes using this site really convenient on the go. As of recently you couldn't load pics directly from your phone but you can now. Makes loading pics here really easy, no need for web hosting sites for images.

I think only the Us bikes got the TCI, but don't quote me on that.
As far as engine parts most all work on most years. If you tear yours down for engine rebuild you might find it has the 533 engine. It's marked on the rods. If so you have to use 533 pistons for a rebuild. The 447 pistons won't work. The 533 used longer rods with pistons with the pin hole higher up on the piston.
Things like cams cam chains guides are the same.
Leo
Thanks Leo.
Didn't realize that there were so few differences engine wise, sounds like i'm worrying about nothing.
Useful to know about the potential differences with pistons / rods.
Many thanks for all your help and advice.

Hey Honeymonster. Welcome from Northumberland. I agree, let's see some pics. The U.K. Registration process often skews model variations but your chassis number will be correct
Hi Paul and thanks for responding.
I'm hopeless with technology but i'll ask my daughter if she can download some pics.
My model is definitely an XS650 Special and the chassis number suggests it is a US Custom (EU) 1980-81 model.
The original owners manual is what threw me because it is for a 1981 XS650SE but I thought 'SE's' were from 1977/78. The fact Yamaha produced these manuals suggests that the 'SE' spec was still being used for the Specials in 1981.
Many thanks

Back