is my next project excepted here? 900cc rf in a 650 frame

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
You may know I scored a few bikes for 3k. One is a really nice '71 xs650, another 1980 xs650, and a bent frame abandoned hardtailed 650 frame, with rebuildable motor, and a little 1972 Honda xl250.
A friend of mine has 2 cbr-f's (90 something) sitting in his driveway, rotting away. He was holding them for a friend, but friend hasn't been heard from for over 2 years. My friend, Craig, says his landlord wants them gone. I can get them for free. Last craig heard, they run, but that's it. They have been sitting for too long.
What I propose to do it take the best motor out of one of the bikes, pretty much use the two as parts bike, and stuff the 900cc monster into one hell of a scary ride.
These are complete bikes, carberated, complete front ends. I couldn't emagine an 1980 fork would be enuf to support this motor. So a fork swap would be in order. I may even rake the head a few degrees to calm down the steering, So I might as well just cut off the head from the Honda, and weld it to the yama frame, for a easy swap.
Ive seen a few chops with a cb750 motor, and I just love the look of all that motor hanging out of the sides. And, yes, I know it wont handle for shit, It will be a pos, but if the parts are free, why not?
would you guys accept this bastard, or should I head to jockey journal? :shrug:

Last edited:
Well gee angus, OK.
Just because it's you.
So long as you don't hardtail it.
If you can keep the hybridized frame straight I doubt it'll handle any worse than an XS11.
And that's a machine that'll go at least 120mph but runs out of brakes and handling at 85.

Yea the big T wasn't mentioned. If you use the Honda neck..........
I'm with fred on a LC and plastic covered bikes. There is a whole lot off ugly hiding under there. Had a early hurricane 1000. It was pretty quick and, and umm and, oh crap that's right, that was it. Nothing else about it was good.

Do it! Pics will be mandatory! :)
DUH!!!
I figured since I live in Washington state, it dosnt get too hot, dosnt get too cold, I could find a smaller radiator, and go with that. The one on my marauder looks nice, and measures to be acceptable. A couple inches outside the down tubes, But its better than the big rectangle rad. the Hondas have. Unfortunately, the frame was hardtailed by previuos po, and lucky me! its already twisted.
I know it will be one ugly monster, but, why not? Parts are free. I hope the only hurdle I will have to tackle is a jack shaft. It would be scary ride over second gear.
I think bigdaddyg has done a few of these hybrids.

- - - the frame was hardtailed by previous po, and lucky me! its already twisted.
I know it will be one ugly monster, but, why not? Parts are free. I hope the only hurdle I will have to tackle is a jack shaft. It would be scary ride over second gear.
I think bigdaddyg has done a few of these hybrids.

Hi Angus,
if someone else already hardtailed the frame, I will forgive you.
Rather than attempting to untwist the frame, hang a sidecar on it.
A rig never goes quite where it is pointed anyway.
And why a jackshaft?

well, a jack shaft because the motor is twice as wide as a xs650.
Right, now, I don't know. I don't have them yet. Suppose to get them Saturday after work.
Maybe I wont need a jack shaft. idk.
I don't even know if the motor will physically fit in a xs frame. It going to be a very long term project. So don't expect a vid of me sqidding down the road for quite a while.
Could ask gggary to move this to the "lounge" or set up a "other" garage

well, a jack shaft because the motor is twice as wide as a xs650.
Right, now, I don't know. I don't have them yet. Suppose to get them Saturday after work.
Maybe I wont need a jack shaft. idk.
I don't even know if the motor will physically fit in a xs frame. It going to be a very long term project. So don't expect a vid of me sqidding down the road for quite a while.
Could ask gggary to move this to the "lounge" or set up a "other" garage

I just sub'ed over at chop cult. Ill post over there on this one. But don't dispear! I have 3 other xs with xs motors that belong here.
Tells, ya what... In my sig, Ill put a link to a build thread if anyone is interested.

Crap angus let it hang out here, we won't make fun of it!
idk, it seems my frankenstien would be more suited over ther. But I will include a link in my sig to get over there
By the By, do you have just one of the right side drum plugs for a 71 hub you could throw my way? I just need one. PLEEEEEASE? :D It will be for the '80/71 clone.

Sorry Angus I'd like to help, but 'til I know I have a bad drum in one I can't start parting any of them. seems like someone found a "will fit" rubber plug one time.

the cj's look good, but I cant see the side that would face out. I spotted some of those metal pipe plugs usually found when peeps don't have sprayers in their kitchen sink, but have the hole for it. Might size some of those and paint them black. Or plasti-dip them.

update: got the bikes. They are (1) 1991 Honda cbr 600f, and the other is a 1990 Honda cbr 600f.
Even though they are third member, Im pretty sure I can wedge one of these motors in.
100 hp in a 100 pound frame? Whats not to like? Ive got all the plastic off, and can actually see the motor now. Looks doable.

Back