Is my timing set correctly?

Niels Mouthaan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I removed my ignition (Boyer Bransden) on my XS650SJ ('83) because it's bleeding oil due a failing seal. I didn't know putting it back was influencing the timing (still learning). After putting it back, it bike was running fine although the RPMs went down a bit when running idle (especially when the engine was cold).

As I do now know I might have incorrectly placed back the ignition, I bought a timing light and attempted to set the timing correctly. After trying a few times (turning the ignition both clock-wise and anti-clock-wise) I believe I found the right setting. I also notice the engine runs a bit better too.

However, as rotating the ignition just a fraction of a degree already makes a noticeable difference, I want to check with you if the current timing setting seems fine. I recorded a movie while the engine is idling between ~1200 and ~1400.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

A few weeks ago I removed my ignition (Boyer Bransden) on my XS650SJ ('83) because it's bleeding oil due a failing seal. I didn't know putting it back was influencing the timing (still learning). After putting it back, it bike was running fine although the RPMs went down a bit when running idle (especially when the engine was cold).

As I do now know I might have incorrectly placed back the ignition, I bought a timing light and attempted to set the timing correctly. After trying a few times (turning the ignition both clock-wise and anti-clock-wise) I believe I found the right setting. I also notice the engine runs a bit better too.

However, as rotating the ignition just a fraction of a degree already makes a noticeable difference, I want to check with you if the current timing setting seems fine. I recorded a movie while the engine is idling between ~1200 and ~1400.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

The XS650's with transistor controlled ignition like yours do not have a "full advance" mark on their timing plates. Full advance is 40 degrees before top dead center. You need to add a "full advance" mark and set the timing to that at 3000 rpm - then whatever it is at idle, it is - should be about 15 degrees BTDC, but that is not as critical as ensuring it is no more than 40 at 3000 rpm. There are two ways that I know of to locate full advance on the TCI-equipped models. One is to lay off three successive 1/2 inch increments from the TDC line on the timing plate. The other is to use the left edge of the small vertical slot at the bottom of the generator access hole in the lefthand case cover. The two attached pic's illustrate these methods, one is courtesy of Michael Morse at 650 Central, the other via 5twins.

Attachments

• timing mark for Boyer Brandsen ignition system.jpg
    timing mark for Boyer Brandsen ignition system.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Advance.jpg
    Advance.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 279
Back