Is Supertech 20w50 conventional motor oil ok?

JE4570

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My walmart is out of the usual brand of 15w40 I use. I usually use Rotella t4 15w40.
I dont want to open any cans of worms but I couldn't find a definitive answer about this brand searching the forum.

image.jpg

Yes, it's fine. I've been using that very stuff for years with no issues. 5 qt. jug gives me two changes (since it takes a bit over 2 quarts). I tried the 15-40 but didn't like the increased topend clatter the lighter 40 wt. gave, so it was back to a 50 wt. I've been using the remainder of my 15-40 5 quart jug for top-ups between oil changes. Waste not, want not, lol.

Cool! thanks, I’ll give it go and see if I like it any better than the rotella. I notice a small clatter with the 15w40 as well but nothing I was too worried about. I’ll listen for differences

I know it's not any sort of scientific test or anything, but pour a little out into your hand and look at it. It's a very clean looking golden brown. The Castrol I used to use looks half dirty already by comparison, lol.

My walmart is out of the usual brand of 15w40 I use. I usually use Rotella t4 15w40.
I dont want to open any cans of worms but I couldn't find a definitive answer about this brand searching the forum.
wally also sells 20w-50 valvoline mc specific with the extra "zink" for the same price as rotella, etc. in my little wally's it's in a tiny little mc area with gloves, etc. away from the other oils. also sells a mc valvoline synthetic for twice the price

Just my thoughts here and they are worth what you a paying for them.

The best oil depends on among other things is the use you are put the bike to.

By that I mean if this bike is one that you only do short rides to local bike shows or the hamburg shack on sunny days and only say 1,000 miles a year and change it every fall or spring then the conventional 20W-50 should work just fine.

Now if you regularly are doing cross-country rides on the interstates and putting 30,000 miles or more a year on the bike then I would suggest the full synthetic motorcycle specific oils.

Then again if you are doing that kind of riding I would wager a guess that you are not using your XS650!

To me it would be more important to use oil that works with wet clutches and it be checked and changed often. What is "often" would depend on miles rode a year.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I've switched to Castrol 20w-50. Zinc and other anti-wear additives are there to protect metal parts when your oil runs out of film strength to keep things separated. Castrol is showing the highest film strength on this guy's testing.

It's like this: Would you rather have a Penicillin shot in the freezer at all times, or would you rather just not get Syphilis in the first place?

Just my thoughts here and they are worth what you a paying for them.

The best oil depends on among other things is the use you are put the bike to.

By that I mean if this bike is one that you only do short rides to local bike shows or the hamburg shack on sunny days and only say 1,000 miles a year and change it every fall or spring then the conventional 20W-50 should work just fine.

Now if you regularly are doing cross-country rides on the interstates and putting 30,000 miles or more a year on the bike then I would suggest the full synthetic motorcycle specific oils.

Then again if you are doing that kind of riding I would wager a guess that you are not using your XS650!

To me it would be more important to use oil that works with wet clutches and it be checked and changed often. What is "often" would depend on miles rode a year.
I thought that full synthetic would make these old bike clutches slip
I'm going to have to try the Wally world oil as I don't plan on putting 2000-3000 miles on in a 0ne week road trip aynmore Have a bigger bike that is water cooled

Back