Is the frame salvageable?

TakingARide

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy a basket case but need advice with if I can salvage the frame by welding it back together? And what kind of price does that bring?
image3_zpsjy1pijfp.jpg

Not sure if the price referred to is for welding or to buy the bike.
It looks like a standard frame which is positive, are the cuts done by sawsall? If so putting in plugs and rewelding should not be a big deal so long as it can be kept straight and true.

2 cents; I highly doubt that pushing that frame back together and welding it is the hot tip.

Hi TakingARide,
all sorts of questions here.
Before you spend any money on the project, can you register it in your name?
Assuming yes, is the cost of that pile'o'parts low enough to justify it's purchase vs buying a runner?
Do you have the welding gear and the skills to put that frame back together?
At a pure guess, I'd expect a welder would want at least a C-note to weld the thing back together and that's if you did all the prep-work.
If it can be reassembled, welding is welding and you may as well keep the rear suspension as not.

AFAIK, if I have a pile of parts from a TX650A, they will bolt or otherwise fasten to any XS650 standard frame from 1974 to 1979. Am I correct? That being the case, wouldn't a '77 or later frame be an improvement? If Cinnamon Girl was what I wanted, I don't think I'd have a care about where the frame came from. It's not a Brough Superior we're talking about.

VintageFest2011137.jpg

I have a TC bros hardtail I chopped off of my frame that might be of help. its mostly just taking up space in my garage, and was chopped off the frame behind the upper motor mount and behind the lower ones.

I don't even think it made it past being tack welded. I just didn't care for the lines on the TC bros, and got a titled frame for cheap. Could be yours for some beer money and shipping. Let me know and i'll take pics.

Posted via Mobile

Nice bunch of bikes at that show jetmechmarty.

Standard frame 74-79 US, and 80-82 Japan and Europe was the same frame. Forks were upgraded to the 35mm for the 77D and all later model Standards

Back