Is the official yamaha XS650 shop manual worth $93?

Fochops

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me what you think... im trying to learn as much info as i can gather... I have already started somewhat of an XS650 "bible" if you will... HAHAHA i have a 4" thick 3 ring binder full of suggested "must have" pdf's. Most of which i have researched to be pretty accurate. I also have notes of tid bit info that i pulled out of this and other forums. This forum by the way EFFIN rocks! you guys have been MOST helpful and I cant thank you enough! Anyways your thoughts on the official manual from yamaha????:thumbsup::shrug:

Watch fleabay and Amazon and get them used for $20 to $40 It's nice to get the one for your year or after. Many are written for say 1975 with several additional years of changes, specs, wiring diagrams, service techniques etc in the back. I have one that has about 5 or 6 years of service bulletins in the back I should scan those some day. There are always several n fleabay. Since the dealers no longer have to support them you can often find dealer copies. There are several online copies available that you can download to your hard drive to read or print out what you need. An old original may be more readable than an official scanned and printed copy currently available and ultimately will be more valuable if that kind of thing matters to you.
One online copy here; http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service%20main.html

FWIW I always buy a factory manual for any bike I own. I just tend to find deals on used ones instead of buying new but that's just me.....:wink2: I am not a fan of the Clymer and Haynes types, better than nothing though. They do have basic motorcycle techniques sections which can be nice if you are new to the field. Honda has a general motorcyle repair manual to be used in conjunction with their tech manuals. It saves endless repeats of how to gap a spark plug etc.

I'm pretty good on simple stuff... I'm getting ready to do the cam chain tensioner, adjust valves (.003 intake & .006 exhaust) I think... Then I need to tune my carbs, got some backfiring at decel and idle, I'm guessing it's too lean, at least the plugs seem to tell me this (kinda grey) I've been researching this for bout 2 days now and I'm about to order my MJ's, PJ's, and cndn needles/jets from mikesxs and dive in! Just want to have lots of info in my corner...

The carb overhaul guide on here is more comprehensive than the factory section and covers some real world issues the factory doesn't. the how to's on valve and cam chain setting on here are just fine neither one is the least bit hard once you do it. Just take your time and be willing to figure out what feeler setting, tightening sequence gets you the proper clearance when you are done.

Would u really recommend the cndn needle/jet? I've seen mixed reviews... P.S. Bs34's, 90+ degrees at sea level where I live, I think they're way too lean, tried to go through emissions and way too high on hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel)

i bought the offical yamaha manual for my 1977 650D and the clymer manual is just as good. the official manual has shitty copied images that you can barely make out, some you can't, the only good part about the thing is the specifications and service bulletin appendix in the back.

I've owned yahama manuals before and they were awesome, not the case with this one. and i ordered directly from yamaha

Cool, I wond order it then... Lol, I feel pics are a huge help when working on things, that's why I was thinking an official manual would be best. Looks like I was wrong!:thumbsup:

The pictures are good in an original book, the pictures in the PDF copies out there are terrible. For some reason, they just didn't copy over well. In my opinion, none are worth $93, not even an original book - not when you can buy them all day long on eBay for between $20 and $30. I do recommend getting a factory manual eventually, it is very good. Just shop around until you find one at a good price.

If you want good pictures, check out the German manual linked to in the tech section. Great pictures, just hard to read, lol.

^^^ actually thats largely how i worked on my bike, read stuff in the factory manual then looked at the pictures on the german manual

I've seen the Honda general purpose manual Gary mentions online as a pdf. It's worth going through.

Back