Is There A Rough Outline Of How To Restore A Bike?

Quasikaze

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm working on restoring a 1980 XS 650 SG and I've done a few things so far:

1. Changed the oil,
  2. Cleaned the spark plugs,
  3. Cleaned the carbs,
  4. Replaced the battery, and
  5. Rebuilt the petcock

Later, I'm going to clean the fuel tank of rust. I want to clean the tank last in order to help prevent any flash rust afterwords.

I still haven't cranked the bike since I've had it, for fear of messing something up. Is there a rough outline I can follow to bring it back from the dead? Also, at what point should it be safe to crank? It's not in the best shape at all. I'm using it as a way to learn more about mechanical work since I'm still very new, but I'm not looking for a full walk-through. I just need some bare list, if you guys know of one, and I can research the rest. Example:
  1. Clean spark plugs,
  2. Replace battery,
  3. Clean fuel tank,
  4. Rebuild petcock, etc.

I saw the Tech page and made sure to bookmark it, but I didn't see anything in there about where to start.

Check compression, if over 100 psi then set cam chain tension, adjust valves to spec (do this cold), normally next step would be to set timing but 80 and up have tci ignition so no adjustment needed there. Once that's done try to crank it over.

80SG will should have the Factory Electronic Ignition, (TCI), the way to tell is look under the left side chrome cam cover, (about where your knee is when sitting on the bike), and it should be empty underneth it.

Here is a list of links to go through.

Guide to Buying - Get to Know your bike, a checklist for the condition of your find

XS650 Model Identification/Year/VIN, Workshop Manuals, and Other Information.......... Links to online manuals that will help till you get your own. Engine striping/rebuild. A lot of links to good threads and a Visual of all model XS650's from 70-83

Carbs - Carburetors..................Check out the first link to the "Carb Guide". A very important tutorial on how to tune your BS carb

Bike wont start?, Running rough?

trouble shooting

What happens when you turn your key on.

Expanded charging system guide (In progress)

Help with Caliper Rebuild

How to: Bleeding The Brakes

Goran "XS650 Tinnis Project"................Worth a look, will find helpful information even if it means more Questions

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys! I'll go get a compression gauge today and work on that.

I'm not familiar with the term "waking", but I presume it's slang for "bringing a bike back to life" where being "asleep" would mean "not working". I'll definitely start using that when I search on the forum.

Thanks for the links and notes, Skull. They'll certainly be helpful.

Asleep could be a bike that hasn't run in awhile. As in "it ran when I parked it two years ago".

"..... it ran when I parked it ....." - famous last P.O. words, lol.

One thing to think about is what will be your end result. A perfect just off the showroom floor example, or a resto mod, a weekend fun machine, a cafe, chopper, brat etc.?
Once you determine where you are going, you will be better able to chart a path to that place.

The first thing i would say is to get the engine running up to temperature then compression test it if it's running fine it's a good starting point, the restoration is then a question of time and money, but i am sure the majority of us in the forum would advise engine removal and replacement of the dreaded front cam chain guide which always comes apart, also change the sump filter from stock to something that will last like a heiden tuning one from Holland about $50 plus postage, i have recently started a tidy up on mine for which i have completely torn down the whole bike as 1970s yamaha frame paint was crap and needed doing again.

Back