Isle of Man TT

Okie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has been to The TT before. I am thinking of going with my son in June. The Holy Grail of motorcycle races, I'm stoked! :D Perhaps someone with knowledge about that side of the Pond could point out some reasonable places to stay. We're on a budget, so no high dollar hotels. I've never been to UK, so I'm looking for any advice you may have. Any and all is greatly appreciated.

High mate sorry to burst your bubble but unless you have everything booked up a year in advance you will really struggle with B&B's etc and if on the real off chance you get a room expect to pay $$$.. Most people book next years room as they are leaving the following year:wink2:...

You may get away with a camp site but finding a ferry from mainland UK to the IOM will be murder if even possible??? I have known in years past for all ferrys to be booked solid for the whole two weeks :banghead:. I would look into flights into the island to be honest!! you may have better luck??

Its a trip that should be planned about a year inadvance so you are shore of no disappointment, the other thing you could do if you miss the TT is head for some of the Irish road races these make the TT look safe and almost all the same riders will do all these events.. The North west 200 and cookstown are two great events that stickout..

Even though the IOM is part of the UK it has very little to do with us in anyway and should really be trated like a very small "rich" independant country as it has its own government and what not.. And prices can be quite high for anything from a packet of crisps to a pint of beer..

Another UK road race is the Scarbourgh gold cup this normally attracts the big name stars and you will find hotels etc without much of a issue..

Captain Gordon at your service! I'd go. Once there I'd do an mc tour of the countryside of France though.

I believe the Sunday after is Moto GP at Silverstone. I wouldn't be apposed to camping a nite, but I didn't realize it was that difficult to get the ferry. I don't really want to stay in London, would like to get out in the country and look around a bit. Thought about taking the train to France. We were planning on about ten days.

The Northwest 200 in N. Ireland would be an awesome substitute as suggested above. I have not been to the race, but have ridden around the course, which is all public roads. The countryside there is spectacular, and there's a lot to see and do. The people could not be nicer.

They have a website: http://www.northwest200.org/

John

Before I called anything off I'd go see a couple of travel agents. Sometimes they can get rooms and tickets and etc. from agencies who've reserved blocks of them.

I figured if we could get to the IOM for a day it would be great, but there are lots of things I would like to see while there. Would love to visit Ireland. Our local Pub here had Robby Burns nite last nite. We had a 4 course dinner with a different Scotch for each one. The haggis and turnips were great! A friends husband is Scottish, and he recited the Ode ta the Haggis. Lots of kilts and pipes. It was a blast. Thanks all!
Mike

Before I called anything off I'd go see a couple of travel agents. Sometimes they can get rooms and tickets and etc. from agencies who've reserved blocks of them.

You will pay bucks for something from a agent.. Most of the good deals are with private family homes that offer say one or two bedrooms over the two week event however you really need these booked early otherwise you will get stung. The IOM makes all its cash over them two weeks so im sure you get the picture!! most of these rooms are advertised on the IOM forum..

A lot depends on where you fly into?? and if you are going to get a hire car.. I would get one for sure as train tickets are a fortune now days and the service is useless atleast that way you could use either the Eurotunnel or P&O ferries for a day trip to france and drive the awesome D940 coast road and or visit the D day landing sites in Normandy if thats your thing???

You also have to be careful in regards to getting to Ireland, as the car ferries tend to go up in price the later you book, so early planning will avoid all this..

I would say look for maybe a few British superbike events and or a World superbike round added with some sight seeing and you would get a decent holiday.. London is good and you will need two full days to see everything, however the people are f****** Idots and are mostly foreign :banghead: so be ready for a bit of a shock..

If you like the country side head for Northern England or even Scotland (Highlands) and you should find what your after..

Back