It followed me home, can I keep it?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well it called out to me and I couldn't resist.

81xs650mf.jpg

Back story guy calls me, " you the guy looking for Xs650s?"

His story: Old buddy left it here after an accident 25 years ago never came and got it, I want it gone.
So I dragged it home. He gave me the Iowa owners name and I found his phone number and called. "It's an 81, bought it new in the crate cheap in 83 put on 24,000 miles in ONE YEAR all over the country, said it was the best bike he ever had. It has a 1983 Sturgis sticker on the tank. Then he hit a pregnant deer, split the deer in two. Smashed the headlight, other minor scrapes. They shoved it in a station wagon and parked it in the garage. Insurance wouldn't pay off his loan, too many miles they said. Finance company said pay up he said go talk to the insurance company. So the title is hopelessly fuggled.
It ended up in a Wisconsin garage (different stories about how THAT happened) Some one got the good tires off, it a few other things were missing. I power washed it. Refilled the oil, stuck a battery in it, put in new plugs, hooked up my "tuning" gas tank. Oiled the cylinders, cranked the starter for a while, then plugged off the vacuum line, LOL, cranked a bit more and she started and ran! One carb is pissing gas but it runs good on both cylinders! It only had been sitting since 1983. So anyone need a runner with no title? I have a possible titled frame that has been cut up. OR I guess it might go to parts....

I can't find any old XSs around Southern Ontario , they are scarce around here right now . Glad I got mine when I did . Hey gggGary, you mentioned in another post that you had a set of 32mm carbs. Are they the Mikes carbs or something different ? ( I am on tight budget but I still want to buy myself some new carbs for Christmas.)

Yeah I have several sets of 32mm Lectron carbs but have never messed with them.

I'll clean it up a bit more and shoot some more pics, Hey it's charging too!

OK I have a guy wants the bare engine for a rephase project, she's coming apart, see the classifieds.

Thanks guys!

Gary, your addiction has reached a new high. I suggest you seek help before its to late!:D

Oh, by the way, a little off topic, but what gas mileage do you get with your Prius?

Last edited:
2005 Prius 170,000 miles; Doing a fall colors ride with mom yesterday I was showing 56MPG Normal driving high 40s is standard. Getting flogged to death out on the rural mail route I can drag it down to the 20's in real hot or cold weather, It takes me over 5 hours to go 60 miles on the mail route so less than 1/2 gallon an hour isn't bad, compare what your lawn tractor uses in an hour.... watch this post for a pic of Gary's shed full.

The 3 cylinder 5 speed Geo metro got 50mgp running 80-85mph and that was in the 80's.
Whats all the hybred hoopla about.

I sold a 98 3 cylinder 5 speed Metro when I bought my Prius. The Metro would break 40MPG on a good day if kept under 60MPH and you were REALLY careful about how you drove it. And that was only after I advanced the timing 10 degrees which they had factory set retarded to reduce NOX. We really liked the Metro but it was a tiny "peoples" car. Scary to drive among "real" cars much less trucks. The Prius is a comfortable 5 person car with lots of creature and safety features that gets about 50 all day long even in stop and go city traffic with very low emissions. That's real progress. It gets better fuel mileage than my 99 Honda 1100 Shadow. The XS just equals it. Oh, it's hard to find a hill long enough to keep a Metro going 80-85 all day. :D

metro%20006.jpg

Hmmmmmm I never got less than 42 and that was with the 4cyl auto. And I drove the piss out of them.
Too bad you couldn't get it running right.
I owned at least 1 for 20+ years and the 3cly 5 speeds were almost bullet proof. Two went to a quater million miles but when you commute 1000 miles a week it is easy to rack up the miles. The pic is a 65 mph contact with one of our famous rocks here.
No seat belts and I walked away. Luck no doubt BUT looking at the car after, it was built to take it. Scary around other cars and trucks? Hell you ride a bike.
Small people car. I'm 6" and rotund. It wasn't anymore tiring after 6 hrs than the air ride in the 359 long nose Petercar(twin stacks required no window in the back).
You might get 5 salad eating folks in a Prius but regular folks???? C'mon now...

Attachments

• DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 185
And the ones I drove would bark the tires going to 2nd.
Like planes they just need to be wound up if you going to go anywhere.

Holy shit Gary! Haha, I am in awe. You're gonna have to let a few of us come over and build a bike! You Sir, are dedicated to this craft! Awesome!

Back