It's fall and time for.........Chainsaws, Ye Haw!

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Was out in the woods today getting in firewood. Dang, I love to cut down the big ones. Scary sometimes but It's a rush too. Dead and down is the rule where I cut so leaners are the name of the game. Was working a good sized Oak (20" at 4') leaning into a smaller tree today. After cutting three 4' sections off the base she was still standing and pretty vertical now also. I went back and forth on it, is it worth the risk. there are other trees etc. I had it cut all the way through at about 4' and she was still standing there. Said forget it and loaded what I had then the light bulb came on. I cut a large branch as a lever, leaned into it and over it went ka boom. Anyway that was my thrill of the day. I run out of room to stack wood before I get tired of going in the woods with a saw. Take it home and the wife splits it with her very own 8 pound mall. Well we share but she likes to split. Says it relaxes her after a day at work, pretends it's heads.
Any other saw nuts in here?
After years of cheap saws I finally have a 361 and an old monster 660. Bet you can guess the brand

HELL YEA!!! STIHL!! A frickin 660?! Im pretty jealous of what ya got there man. What size bar and chain is on that 660? We were using a 440 with a 25in this summer and that bastard runs like a bat outta hell! I can only imagine how that 660 does :yikes:
we also have a husqvarna with a 20in on it and then lil poulan (with a straight pipe:laugh:) just for shits and giggles.

I did see a 880 with a 59 inch bar and chain in the dealership a few months back...I dont think i could justify the use for one but it would still be cool to have one haha

the 660 has a 25" bar about as long as I need for the big trees around here, and short enough for down log cutting without sticking it's nose where it shouldn't be. The 660 ended up being not much of a deal, kinda got mixed up and bought it off eBay on a snipe. It isn't pretty but after a new piston, cylinder and about 15 tanks of fuel it is a great running saw. And it does like to slurp gas. I still can bog it hogging into a bar full of hardwood but not very often. Quite a bit more power than the 361 which is a nice saw too. Sure are nice to run these after years of patching up homelites! I have heard a lot of good about the 440 and the 461's too. I got the 361 after I burned up a 390 I bought new,that was my last "mid class" saw. Once I had the 361 I decided to get a big boy for the heavy work then drop back to the much smoother and somewhat lighter 361 for smaller cutting. Always good to have two saws in the woods. I use the 660 as a wood splitter too. I try not to hoist too big of rounds into the truck.

Do you climb any of the trees that you cut or just drop them?

this was one that we took down this summer. Going to be cutting it up and hopefully getting 4 tables out of it. Just another winter project to add to the list

IMG_0558.jpg

Climbing with chain saws........... Done it, HATE it. brrrrr gives me the heebie jeebies just thinkin' about it, you are braver than I. I have a 30" walnut round and 20 rough cut 1" by 11" by 11' walnut boards stickered, strapped and slowly drying out in the shed, a "someday" project.

Spent a lot of time as a kid with my pops and brother getting firewood. I get stoked when my friends or my brother calls me and tells me it's wood-gettin' time.

I currently have a 35cc Husky, an 85cc Jonesred, and my baby; a 1966 Husqvarna model 65 that starts on the second pull and cuts like a frikkin champ... first saw I ever bought with my own money.

Most badass saw I ever ran was an old Partner P100.

haha its not something I would do often and if i did do it again I would make sure I had all the gear

Its a pain waiting for the wood to dry out but at the same time a sweet excuse to put it off! :laugh:

You make furniture often?
The old saws are cool too. Just wouldn't want to have to run em for long any more.
Buddy O mine is a saw racer, he has a Mac with a kart engine that is wicked fast and with the expansion chamber looks pure mean!

Okay I guess as long as it's your own trees...

When my Dad was growing up they had a personal coal mine for their cooking and winter heat. It was up on the hillside about 100 yards from the house. Coal burning stove and pot belly stove for heat.

For water they had one of the best springs I've ever seen, beside the house.

Gary- if your askin me then...yeaaaa i cant really say I am any pro. I do little things here and there for family members but that's about it.

xj- see this is where ya gotta define "your" trees haha. Cause I was cutting down dead and rotten trees this summer for my father and of course with them being on his land you would think they were "his" trees. however the wonderful county official dude decided that I violated a land protection/preservation act :wtf: and was just a real peach to deal with! :banghead::banghead:

Sorry if anyone is a county official dude no offense meant towards you personally :D

Shouldn't apply to one tree at a time. But my brother bought a farm, surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods. Five years later the owner of the woods bulldozed every tree to create a subdivision. Except now, ten years later there's not a single house there. Or a single tree. Bye bye deer hunting.

Back to saws, a motorcycle mechanic I know has the blade and chain from a giant chainsaw hanging on his wall for decoration. Maybe 8' long. Two man chainsaw, or five or six. Or vehicle mounted :)

Last edited:
I cut out of a friends BIG woods (over 400 acres surrounded by 2-3,000 acres of state park.) I am mostly the only one in there cutting. I can't get anywhere near cutting all the dead trees that are close to the roads. Most of the dead trees just rot back into soil. This woods is conservation deeded so the state has a say so but I haven't been hassled yet. I heat 100% with wood and burn about 4.5 cords a year. I have wood cut about 4 years ahead split and stacked in covered drying racks.:D I am half tempted to run a wood powered generator for electricity.

Last edited:
if you are going to heat with wood and want to make juice go steam and have both .
That and a wind genny. Run christmas tree LED lights .They are cheap after christmas . You just use them in place of a CPF tube bulbs . And best of all they do not use much juice . I've use them in the basement and are cool as hell .

holyshit 4 frickin years? picture of said (assuming) MASSIVE wood pile haha
You asked, 6 sections each section is 12' long, 4' wide x 8' tall or 3 cords I burn about 1 1/3 sections a year plus some dry wood that gets stacked in the garage and I am refilling one empty section now.

stacks1.jpg

stacks2.jpg

stacks3.jpg

I Have a Stihl 038 and a Husqvarna something or other. I use it in my work as a woodturner-I get large wood from the dump mostly. This is a pic using my friend's 088 with a 48" bar-splitting a 5' x 10' redwood log for sculpture. It's a manly machine-she started it for me. :)

I don't have as much fun as you seem to, though. That's a nice pile of firewood. :)

John

Attachments

• -4.jpg
    -4.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 268
gary- holycrap to the massive wood piles. I love that video, those guys that race are intense with all the stuff they do to their saws.

Hook- nice pic! any sculpting pics?

Hook; now that is a REAL chainsaw. And a real woman! Whooshi swooshi I'd like to see her fire it up!

Last edited:
Back