It's fall and time for.........Chainsaws, Ye Haw!

Fred they wouldn't try water bombing a campsite in Texas. Anti aircraft quality firearms are common camper's equipment. Return fire a near certainty LOL.

Hi Gary,
while I agree that the average Texan campsite is likely to have AA-capable weaponry I doubt that said campsite is
likely to have folks in it who combine the foolishness of lighting a hazardous fire with the abilities of a FLAK gunner.

Was researching chainsaw chains awhile back, and thought that this may be of interest.

During normal cutting, the chain cutter link actually tilts and lifts off the chainbar, and cutter depth becomes somewhat self-regulating.

From: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/findingtherightsawchainforyou

ChainsawCutting1.jpg

However, out at the tip of the chainbar, this self-regulation doesn't happen, and the rotational path of the chain makes the cutting depth deeper, risking kickback.

From: http://blog.arborist.com/chainsaw-safety-understanding-rotational-kickback/

ChainsawCutting2.jpg

Justa FYI...

After 5 days, and 2 thunderstorms, it's still burning.
View attachment 142120

The Cedar burns off fairly quickly.
It's the Oak and Black Cherry that takes forever...

is that your foreman you've left in charge there 2M ? :)

never used a chainsaw myself . I once saw a very experienced operator that chopped logs for firewood with a huge cut right up between his fingers through his wrist up into his arm .:yikes:

It had kicked back and caught him in a moment of distraction or inattention.

You would not believe the amount of blood lost in just a few minutes .

is that your foreman you've left in charge there 2M ? :)

Why, yes, peanut, that's Skooter. She runs the place.

From 3 years ago.
Skooter.jpg

Always had this feeling that she was going to be a intelligent kitty.
She knows her name, comes when called, communicates. If she's curled up in my lap, and I need to get up, I merely mention it, and she hops off.

Skooter in ground crew training...
SkooterTraining.jpg

Been trying to catch up on ranch chores, so not much motorsickle stuff goin' on.

Several trees need trimming at heights beyond the reach of my polesaw. Here's one particularly challenging situation, a tree has grown and entangled into my power line. The pole in the foreground is 30 feet tall.
FEL_Saw01.jpg

If I were to simply lop-off the offending branch, it would take the power line with it.

Step 1, clear out the low-level brush and branches, take another look.
FEL_Saw03.jpg
FEL_Saw04.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty entangled up there.
Need to surgically nip small branches outta there.

Last edited:
Need a hare-brained solution.

Tractor with a front-end-loader (FEL) and clamp-on pallet fork.
FEL_Saw05.jpg

A long stick, with u-bolts.
FEL_Saw06.jpg

Slide it onto the pallet fork.
FEL_Saw10.jpg

Fire it up, dial it in, adjust the control cable.
FEL_Saw19.jpg

Practice a bit by waving it around in the air.

This is gonna be tricky.

Kinda like trying to set your bike's points and valve lash from across the room, with really long chopsticks.

Or brain surgery, by way of the anus...

Nice bit of engineering there Steve. Anytime I need to trim close to power lines.... I just fire up the ol' Hughes 500... ;)

Last edited:
Back