It's fall and time for.........Chainsaws, Ye Haw!

The way I pay for parts

F12C5B3A-19D2-48EB-A63B-AB6DC52D4630.jpeg

Haven't been doing much bike stuff.
Catching up on ranch chores.
Lost a lot of oak trees over the last 10 years, drought and oak wilt disease.

Dragging the dead ones out of the forest.
20190628-Clearing01.jpg 20190628-Clearing02.jpg

Also resurrected dad's ancient hatchet.
Good ol' heat-treated forged steel axe head, razor sharp, replaced old cracking handle.
CollinsHatchet.jpg

I used to use a hatchet but I got a USGI Ontario machete 1/8" thick. Much better, and lighter. Same great steel as their knife with the tarred leather handle that was sold as USMC fighting knife (and might have been). 1095 steel or something. Sharpens to a razor's edge in seconds with a flat file.

Oh, yeah, I love machetes.

Ever see something, and think "I need that!", buy it, take it home, only to realize that you've already got one? Then just pidgeon-hole it away, to be dealt with later?

Then several months or couple years later, same thing happens?

I think I have a problem.

20190629_Hatchets.jpg

20190629_Machetes.jpg

Hello, my name is Steve, and I'm a macheteoholic...

Ever see something, and think "I need that!", buy it, take it home, only to realize that you've already got one? Then just pidgeon-hole it away, to be dealt with later?

View attachment 144178
View attachment 144179

Damn Steve! You look ready for the Zombie apocalypse!
8EF8DB37-C1B7-49DE-AC71-01888F70EDC8.png My dad always said that all hatchets were good for was splitting your knees. You know....glance and a miss. But of course I had to have one! :D

I've had a couple of those Ontario GI machetes. One walked off with a new owner, the other fell off the tractor, still lost out there in the woods. Probably explains why I keep thinking I need another.

...ready for the Zombie apocalypse!

I haven't a clue what the "Zombie apocalypse" is, must've slept thru the class.

Something like "Cosmic Cowboys"?

But, I *am* ready for the creeping Texas cedars...

View attachment 144178
View attachment 144179

Hatchet second from right.........Now that's a real handle, looks like a nice head as well

This was waiting for me when I got back from Canada
one more piece of the willow down..jpg
I swear that willow KNOWS when I'm away from home.
Got it (nearly) all bucked up and a family is hauling it away to stoke their outdoor woodburner next winter.
20190702_092315.jpg
Then THIS showed up on facebook marketplace today.
ash tree in Baraboo for firewood.jpg
Ash, Free! in Baraboo, less than 5 miles away, It's also bucked up and in Allison's horse trailer now. I'd guess a couple tons worth.
Allison is going to a distance ride tomorrow so we've got a bit more work in the morning. Since it's been upper 80's and pure humidity this old northerner has been sweating big time!

Last edited:
Jeeze Louise! I’ve never had a bike blown over!

I have. Parked a little too close to the ramp once in Fla. F-4 pilot added a whole heap more power than he needed when he taxied out. Blew it across the parking lot and out into the grass. :(
Couple of dumbasses... me and him... :rolleyes:

I feel your pain, Gary; or at least the part caused by cutting up blown down trees, as opposed to the part caused by having to fix blown down bikes. Wind blew down a big ole persimmon tree right across the tractor trail to my pond. Been hitting it early in the A.M. and knocking off after a couple of hours. Have you hung those pumpers on Madness yet?

Have you hung those pumpers on Madness yet?

Not yet Griz, it's on the list though. Since Madness is my last running XS I hate to tear into it mid season. Thinking I want to bump the pilots on the VM's yet, see how it responds.
Just finished cutting splitting and stacking that "Ash" which I suspect is really some sort of hybrid Siberian elm, Think really stringy, lots of wedge pounding and "chainsaw" splitting. :mad: No letup on heat and humidity here either.

1301C70D-2F9E-427C-84EA-5F1B7F0368F1.jpeg
It’s miserably hot here too. NCFL. Heat index around 107. I never had a bike blow over but I have had the asphalt give way under the side stand before. I used to keep a crushed can or small block of wood under the seat just for that if the bike didn’t have a center stand. Hell I’ve even been stuck in asphalt on a center stand. This happened in my driveway a couple summers ago after only a hour or 2.

Back