It's fall and time for.........Chainsaws, Ye Haw!

What do you call those sheds in Alaska where you burn all that wood and the heat is somehow feed to the house?

What do you call those sheds in Alaska where you burn all that wood and the heat is somehow feed to the house?
Outdoor wood burner? Popular in many rural areas in the US and often banned in urban areas for good reason. Burning wet wood and debris and a damping system that can create a thick smoke cloud can be the downfall of one of those with a sloppy operator. Our area nearly got into a shooting war with the owner of one. Not fun repeatedly waking up to a bedroom full of smoke in the summer, idiot was keeping that wood burner going 24-7 just for domestic hot water in 90 degree weather!

Last edited:
During my 18 months stay in rural Western Australia we that these domestic hotwater cyinders with a fire up the center. The wood they burned was called Mali Roots, very dense wood and you only needed a few bits for the days hot water supply. I guess they are banned in the towns.

Edit: Spelt Mallee and refers to a characterisic of certain eucalyptus trees where several main stems grow from a common tuber like root clump. I remember they were very hard to cut with an axe and about 1 foot by 6 inches in size.

Last edited:
Back