1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

It's gettin there

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Norton7d, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

I figured considering the amount of questions I ask, I should show a picture from time to time...just to let everybody I actually am working on an XS.
    9k mile 76, starts and runs although I haven't ridden it yet. Once I get the carb sorted out on the stand then I will remove the battery box and replace it cuz it's rusted out. Didn't want to mess with the electrical until I got everything sorted out with the motor otherwise if I couldn't get it running I wouldn't know if it was the motor or electrical. Then after that I'll reverse it on the stand and work on the front end.

Attached Files:

2. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

You have built a great bike but won't the pipes mess up your hair ??? lol
    tim

3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

4. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Keep at it, and we'll tune in !

Wulfbyte, MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  5. Aye, the lad gets street cred....

gggGary, Wulfbyte and MaxPete like this.
  6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Comin’ along nicely Norton!

gggGary and Wulfbyte like this.
  7. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

Before and after on the carbs, although need to go back in and re-jet and move needle clip per 5twins direction, for pipes and filters

Attached Files:

8. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

Rear fender assembly ready to go back on after disassembly and spit shine each component.The other shiney part in the photo is the "show tank" for my 79 XT500, although now thats its perdy, I dont want to put it on the bike, so I ride around with my original patina tank.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  9. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, that's looking very good. These are fine machines once all cleaned up and sorted. Just one small note on the carb top screws. Yamaha used two different lengths. Slightly longer screws were used on the 4 holes where the butterfly shaped plate mounts between the carbs. Slightly shorter screws were used in the 4 outside holes. But Yamaha cheaped out here. They should have used one more longer screw on the outside where the throttle cable holder mounts. The short screw they used barely grabs by a couple threads and is easily stripped. Best you change that one out to a longer screw.

gggGary, MaxPete, Wulfbyte and 2 others like this.
  10. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

OK, easy cure, add 1 more to the list of 5T rescue tips.

11. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

I did have to cheat a bit on the side "ugly plate" portions of the frame, very badly scratched, like some used an ice pick or screwdriver in trying to work on or pry off original exhaust, thats all I can assume. So I taped off and did some paint work, went up to the weld lines, somewhat undetectable for the amateur eye.

Attached Files:

12. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

This problem is on the horizon, hoping for a cure.
    How does one solve for this, seat at rest pops up on the latch side. Latch is not adjustable, is this just due to the wearing down of material on the latch arm and catch? Thus allowing it to not fully retain grab at rest once latch was activated and released. The seat does not do this with weight on it, it goes in to the proper position once as little of weight of my hand is put on the high side of the seat.

Attached Files:

13. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Great work you’re doing! It’s gonna be a beauty! Love the XT500 too. I had one back when it was new, I still look for them!
    90067650-94F9-43E8-92BF-4ACD4C89A5EE.jpeg

ThatXS650Guy, Ozboy, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

What is the condition of the rubber bumpers under the seat? They get old and compressed and hard. They are replaceable. Are there missing ones? That would allow your seat to twist?

Edit: I would also look at the hinges on both the seat and frame to see if they have been bent.

15. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

Ok, but if it is the result of a flattened bumper, then that would be on the low side, yes?
    Hinges, mounts, etc...all look good. Maybe the PO was heavy on one side.
    Will work more on this as i get to this point in the make-over.

Wulfbyte likes this.
  16. DanielBlack

DanielBlack XS650 Junkie

Mine does the same thing. Looks great when I'm riding it.

17. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The seat latch on my '78 has a little coil spring attached to it so it does sit up on one side like yours until weight is put on it. Could be normal. But my latch is a replacement from some other bike (XS500 I think) so I can't say for sure if that attached coil spring is correct for my 650.

gggGary, MaxPete and Wulfbyte like this.
  18. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

210AB2A6-A9CC-495C-9A5A-197007D88D27.jpeg Seats do often sit at an angle like yours. If it does bother you like it did me as well simply cut the coil spring to a shorter length.

gggGary, Mailman, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  19. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

Interesting, i was thinking maybe this is the result of either the hinge brackets attached to the seat and or frame "giving away" after years of asses being plopped down on the seats. I was considering just "tweaking" them back up.

gggGary, Wulfbyte and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  20. Norton7d

Norton7d XS650 Addict

I have been directed by "The Warden" to name my XS, with the Warden also in charge of the naming process, my 76 will now be referred to as " The Mistress".

gggGary, Mailman, MaxPete and 4 others like this.