It's gonna be a keeper build

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
This is my 8th XS650 that I've owned and always regret selling them. They are so versatile with great support here and the after market. So this time I'm building this one to keep, maybe even a daily rider.

Lot's to come so stay tuned, this will not be a budget build, but a first class semi Café roadster.

Here's it when bought and Here is the mock up

Attachments

• 1 as bought.jpg
    1 as bought.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 2 mock up.jpg
    2 mock up.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 298
I like what I'm seein'. Gonna have to keep watching this build.

Not much to report got her pressure washed, installed new AGM battery got it fired up ordered a Brembo caliper and a whole host of shit from MikesXS. Weekend dedicated toe tear down.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 149
Here is pics of my most recent keeper builds. There are correct restorations, but the XS begs for some personalized mods.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 166
Good luck i keep say'n my next buil will be for me to keep but i end up selling them,the one I built to sell is still here lol just can't sell her ( can't now it's the wifes bike now )it was one of the first xs's I built, the black not a triumph bike it's getting a face lift this year and building me a new bobber/chopper TOO KEEP LOL

Out of the loop repairing someone else's bike. Back on track. Assembled most of the parts and mocked up the Brembo brake conversion. Pretty straight forward. When I get the rotor cross drilled I'm going to have a few lightening holes put in the mounting bracket

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 143
Awesome looking bikes Jim, I'm currently working on my 1981 XS650 Special, It seems to taking forever, but it will be worth it in the end, and I agree with concerning selling (I only have Two so far 83 Heritage Special and the 81 Special and it would be hard to sell either one).

I followed your build it is absolutely awesome. I'm going with a similar color scheme to your. Do you have any good profile pics?

Brassneck, my back hurts just looking at those handle bars but she is a sexy beauty to look at. Those 750 triple tanks look so at home on a XS650.

Last edited:
Brassneck, my back hurst just looking at those handle bars but she is a sexy beauty to look at. Those 750 triple tanks look so at home on a XS650.

Thanks Racerdave,

Ya, not the most comfortable stance...but ok for short trips around town. :)

Back at it, been wasting time on someone else's bike
Got the bracketry fab'd up for the fuel tank and seat. The seat was a nightmare. I should have sent the stock seat pan to Sargent and had them shape and cover to my liking. A little more money, but a whole lot less work.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 127
OOPS I already posted this sorry. Also got the Brembo caliper mounted. Now to send off the rotor for resurfacing and cross drilling.

Attachments

• 5 bremboed.jpg
    5 bremboed.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 100
It's your bike to do what you want with her, and I chop em too LOL but I guess I mistakenly thought you were going to restore her to stock spec's when I sold her to you, I havn't cut a 75 and before standard and I don't plan to, I just try to pass them on to someone who will restore them. Again I do appreciate the purchase but just sayin I was surprised when I saw 75 parts for sale :eek:

Trust me it will be tastefully modified/restored. Only real change will be the XS750 fuel tank and the seat. I was temped to go pure stock, maybe the next one. I see you have another. We can talk about buying it send a PM.

Back