It's just a question, Should Negative Members (Hater's) Be Banned From Site?

Should we ban extremely negative members fron site?

• Ban the Extremely Negative Asshole's!!!

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Let The Jackasses speak their Mind (even though it's pretty small)!!!

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • I could Give two shits, Whatever!!!!!!

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this is a good place to remind all that the forum has an "ignore member X" feature.

View attachment 34209

I wonder if anyone has ever done this? I mean as much as someone pisses you off can you just TOTALLY pretend they don't exist? :D

Think about what a thread might look like down the road too. It is seldom that "remove/lock this thread" requests are honored. That's part of "minimal censorship" too.

Doesn't this pertain to private messaging? Not thread content?

Hey WER; I bet you're right! D-oh. Too bad though....

No it does drop out that member's posts;

Ignore List
This is a list of users you wish to ignore. To add a user to your ignore list, go to your User CP and in the left Nav Panel under Miscellaneous, select [Buddy / Ignore Lists], type the username you wish to ignore in the Ignore List blank and click [Update Ignore List]

Posts from users that you are ignoring are hidden from view when logged into the forums.

I bet this makes for some head scratching while reading threads as other's rely to the ignored posts.

Edit again here's some ignore issues with supposed fixes.

"Better" Ignore
vBulletin has a well-intentioned feature that lets you “ignore” users that bother you. This is a great relief if you find yourself consistently annoyed (or baited) by users who offer nothing of value to the discussions, who habitually troll, or are antagonistic. The “ignore” feature hides their posts for you, so you don’t need to see/read them anymore.
Unfortunately, the vBulletin forum software doesn’t hide them well enough. Every time they post you’ll see a stub that says:
This message is hidden because Username is on your ignore list.
And then, to the right, there are links to view the post, or to remove that user from your ignore list. In a sense, this feature almost brings more attention to the very posts you were hoping to ignore in the first place!
To make matters worse, in addition to that stub, you’ll still see any subsequent responses to those ignored posts (which can disrupt the flow of discussion) and you’ll also see any threads started by the ignored users.
In short, the “ignore” feature is a good idea, but it’s not implemented well enough if your goal is to truly and effectively IGNORE an annoying user, and eradicate them from your forum experience.
This is where FourOhFour’s “Better Ignore” script comes to the rescue.
Here’s a version for tivocommunity.com.
(Note that you’ll need to manually tweak this one to work elsewhere. Essentially, it has to be customized to work with whatever skin the forum uses. The xpath used to find posts and usernames is dependent on the layout.)
Paraphrasing FourOhFour’s instructions:
This script hides threads started by ignored users, hides the post-from-ignored-user stub, and hides replies quoting ignored posts — even across pages.
After installing, visit your Ignore list on the forum you’ve installed the script for. You don’t have to do anything there, just visit it once, so the script can get your Ignore list.
After UNignoring someone, visit your Ignore list and click the “Clear Better Ignore Cache” button. You might also want to hit that if the script stops working right, or gets really slow; it (currently) doesn’t clean up its cache at all.
Be consistent with the URLs you visit (www.forumname.com vs. forumname.com, for example.) The script can’t access its stored settings from thedomain you aren’t visiting.
That’s all. Indeed, a more appropriate name for this one might be “Total Ignore.” After installation (remember, it relies on Greasemonkey,) sit back and enjoy a forum where the users you’re elected to ignore… completely vanish from your view. Bliss!
I’ve been using it for a little while now, and it works brilliantly. Thanks, FourOhFour!

That answers that question.
And quite a complete solution you have posted!
Now another.
If banning were done would that cut down on the sites traffic hurting its' profitability?
Isn't traffic ratings one of the criteria of goggle search results?
Just askin no interest in going to the trouble for gggGarys solution or keeping someone from speakin theyr peace.
Itsa bigg worald and everone has there write two it.
My self I culd impruv onbeein judg mintal and a self imposed ban would probably help get things done on the home front.
Instead of looking at this screen I should be,
Getting bales gathered, replacing the neutral safety switch on the pickup, tagging some calves, worming the whole group, killing black locust trees, planting black walnut trees,
fixing fence, washing the exterior of the house, brush hogging. . . . . .
Along with improving my Excel skills, backing up my picture albums, writing a note to my brothers/family, taking some garden produce to the neighbors, building a high tunnel. . . . . . .
Or rebuilding the XS motor sitting in the floor, changing the rear tire, chain and sprockets on the F, converting Blue back to a Heritage special, adding the sidecar to the 77, getting the other Heritage Special ready to sell, getting the other Heritage special winterized, getting the ultra classic (little brides couch) ready for the fall trip to Kentucky, clean the garage, shop and outbuildings, play with the dogs, fish the pond,
clean and shoot the firearms(who can afford much of that?)
Help at the homeless shelter or donate unused "stuff", commit to the ride to help special Olympics funding and the breast cancer poker run. . . . . .
Find another job. . . . .

Or maybe just go riding. . . .

First step shut this down and get off the couch.
Later
Ride safe
weekendrider,
every day commuter

You are right Johnt3; I got it and was just ignoring it....
The OP of this thread wants to close it but I see no good reason to do so....., I'm having fun.

Look, I never said anything directed at any person specifically, and I also did not mean to get anyone up in arms. That said, I've noticed a few things amongst the 650 bike set that have really started to irk me.

It's not the usual "is my pamco hooked up right?" or "what hardtail should I get" stuff though. Really, I'd like to think that most people here are above the petty annoyances of this hobby.

First off, the phrase "fuck the haters". Ok, I get it. Sometimes people are dicks. Sometimes people will talk shit on your bike no matter what you do. Those people suck. But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things, or just state a simple opinion... That's far from hate.

Why don't you stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up... I know I do overtime I let my brain do the thinking and not my ego.

I know we do these things because they mean something deeper to us than just a piece of engineered metal. You can put blood, sweat and tears into something and it still won't be right but that's how it goes. Learn from other's experience and even more importantly learn from your own.
Think for yourself, make your decisions and make your own mistakes. People wouldn't be passionate about anything if they didn't face their own struggles, and facing criticism is another hard motherfuckin fact of life, goddamn.

Anyone that asks me about my bike I always tell them it was build not by me, but by people that knew things i didn't and if it wasn't for them i wouldn't be where I'm at now and learned the things i have.
I certainly don't know it all, and frequently have to ask others for advice / help, but I don't consider myself dumb or racist. I'd like to know what you thought I said that was PartyDJ?

Is it racist to say that watermelons have small dicks? I mean, not all of them.

Jamie, Yours wasn't the racist comment

If you actually think about. If some of your posts were actually deleted from some threads then they probably were considered inappropriate by others too, so i don't think it's just me that's way off base.

So in the end I just want to see everyone's projects so i can appreciate them, and maybe i'm a freak or autistic LOL, but i even think a nice weld bead is a work of art, and whether anyone agree's or not i don't care, beauty and art is in the eye of the beholder and I love Bikes! All of them even the BratStyle LOL (reference to another thread) who cares about a name.

Keep posting those build threads guys! i enjoy em all!
Rock On!
Happy Labor Day!

Last edited:
I couldn't care less.
They are just trying to suck you into negative debate.
If you ignore them, you win.
If you take the bait and debate, they win.
I always choose to ignore the flamers.
There are way more positive & helpful members here than negative.
Constructive criticism without being nasty is fine by me.

Last edited:
What? You want to ban this colorful fellow?

I see that you have had your hair done again TwoMany ..........mmmm Mohican :laugh::wink2:

My view is that members should abide by the club rules, thats what they are there for , guidance and determination .If Moderators do their job we shouldn't need any vendettas or witch hunts.

I recently had a well known forum member make a rude, personal and insulting post to me, probably because he felt I had ignored his wisdom.

My view is that he should take responsibility for his actions and be man enough to admit his transgression of the forums rules and make a public apology to me but it doesn't look like that is very likely which in my view says a lot about that particular members character.

The insulting remarks should have been removed by a Moderator and the member should have received a warning but that hasn't happened either.

We are all guilty of making negative comments at times especially if we feel that someone has ignored or questioned our judgement or opinion but if a particular member makes a point of chasing you round the forum leaving rude or negative remarks then either put them on your ignore list or report them to a Mod and let them take care of it

Last edited:
Being an amateur anthropologist I understand we are all descended from the African continent, even if we carry a bit of Neanderthal or Denisovian DNA. ALL descended from the African continent. Period.

I'm proud of my Neanderthal heritage :thumbsup::laugh: (rubs his prominant eyebrows):D

Current thinking is that they were the clever ones and they didn't die out ... just interbred.

This thread is just redamndiculous if it revolves around the statement of a " ****** ####### a football". Anybody that has seen that type of a bike set-up knows exactly what is meant and there's no rascism involved.....It's visually accurate. I seem to recall a members avatar with just such a pic and I would never set my bike up like that 'cause I don't want to look like a ****** ####### a football........mebbe a harp kraut Limey Finn block-head pollack Jew red-skin frog sheep shagger ####### a football but never a ******!

This thread is just redamndiculous if it revolves around the statement of a " ****** ####### a football". Anybody that has seen that type of a bike set-up knows exactly what is meant and there's no rascism involved.....It's visually accurate. I seem to recall a members avatar with just such a pic and I would never set my bike up like that 'cause I don't want to look like a ****** ####### a football........mebbe a harp kraut Limey Finn block-head pollack Jew red-skin frog sheep shagger ####### a football but never a ******!

Haha I was thinking the same thing! Lol

Well, My earlier comment that I would hate (ooops! I ment I would "be unfavorably inclined) to see the XS Politeness Enforcement Tactical Task Force Unit 6 deployed and I was pleased then and now to see that is the general concensous. No nanny's enforcing anti-hate.
About that Hate; you know when you start putting a label on some ones motive for negative actions, and the brush being used is that vague and broad, the inevitable result will be misuse. And what about the Hate Haters? There's some exemption there? If racial slurs were thrown it's wrong, it's offensive, BUT! I bet ya, the offender's real intent/motivating factor is something other than racial HATE. He was probably butt-hurt over some other issue and was taking a cheap shot with a racial slur. Have you ever called your wife a bitch? Does that make you a woman hater? My point is, before we all go chasing our tails looking for racists under every bush, and do so with some ideas that "hate" is the issue and if so its enhanced because its...well..."hate". I fuckin hate that shit! (yea, I can't do anger mngt classes either cause it makes me furious)Bad attitude gets a pass and lets burn some witches!
XSLeo, Grizd1, and others, thanks.

I seem to have missed the Rascist comment on whatever thread it was. Being an amateur anthropologist I understand we are all descended from the African continent, even if we carry a bit of Neanderthal or Denisovian DNA. ALL descended from the African continent. Period.

What divides us is mindset or culture.
The truth can set you free.

Darwin loves you! (I gotta get one of those bumper stickers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back