It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Question gentlemen.
Has anybody used this brake line on a XS2? It looks like it should have the correct fitting for the steel line for the caliper. Or does anyone know of others that work on an XS2?
http://www.helperformance.us/hel-brake-lines-for-yamaha-xs650-ii-1972.html
upload_2019-2-23_12-30-26.png

Plans change. Original plan was to make the bike a roller and then do the original motor from it and install it. The original motor needs a through going through. I know there is a crack in the cases that needs welding. Plus it needs a lot of time spent just getting it to look acceptably. It's got almost 30,000 not so easy miles on it. Looks much better in the pic than in person.
130.PNG

I had bought a "parts" bike for pieces that may be needed. The motor in it looks much nicer on the outside than mine does. Also only shows 9,000 miles on the odometer, for whatever that's worth. Got to thinking it wouldn't take much to pull it, clean it up a bit and stuff it in my frame. When I went to buy it I heard it run. I could tell it was only running on 1 cylinder. Checked it, right side no workey. My guess was carburetor. Wasn't to worried. Went ahead and bought bike. It was 85% there. Missing turn signals, fork ear reflectors, had non stock exhaust, had non stock handle bars and missing tank and side cover embalms. It does have a title, big plus.
Where am I going with these ramblings? Well I decided I would like to ride my bike sooner than later. Took my roller off of lift, put parts bike on to look into dead cylinder. Checked compression on it. Zero on right side. Damn. Checked valve adjustment. Intake tight. Cool, was hoping for easy fix. Loosened both intake and exhaust. No luck. Still zero compression. Looked in spark plug hole, can't see much but no hole in piston and no aluminum splatter anywhere. Heck the cylinder still shows a cross hatch pattern. Did a leak down test. Air coming out exhaust valve. Douched valve with snake oils , left sit overnight, hoping it was carbon. No joy.
What to do, what to do. I decided to fix this engine and put it in my frame. Will be quicker than going through my original motor, even though I still plan on doing that.
So I spent the last few days making another engine stand and pulling the motor. I guess what I learn on this I can apply to the next one.
131.PNG

132.PNG

If I had taken tools with me and checked compression I would still have bought it. Would have beat him down on price a bit though.
Oh well tomorrow pop the top end apart and see what I got or don't got.

Pete save some for me!

I would be tempted to crank the motor over to put the piston at bottom of stroke with valves loose on the bad cylinder and put some air pressure into that cylinder.
If all the air comes out the exhaust then it is a problem with exhaust valve, stuck or burnt.
If it all comes out the intake then, yep bad/stuck intake valve.
If it all comes out the dipstick hole, not good!

Dang, GLJ! That motor has a helluva lot less barnacles than the original. Sort your dead cylinder problem, and throw it in for the summer! Practice on the high-miles motor first (your new spare), and do the top-end job on the one with 9K miles next winter...

Pete save some for me!

I would be tempted to crank the motor over to put the piston at bottom of stroke with valves loose on the bad cylinder and put some air pressure into that cylinder.
If all the air comes out the exhaust then it is a problem with exhaust valve, stuck or burnt.
If it all comes out the intake then, yep bad/stuck intake valve.
If it all comes out the dipstick hole, not good!
Did a leak down test. Air coming out exhaust valve.

Swap heads?
Possibility. Or take parts from another 256 engine I bought. I'm not a big fan of using used parts but I might. Going to get it apart, take stuff to machine shop and see what I have. The machine shop I will be using is one I worked at part time 30 years ago. Owner now worked there with me then.

Nice! I missed seeing this earlier. You’ve got some options here, it’s always nice to have options. How cool is it that you have an in with the machine shop! Looking foward to seeing what you do with this.

Last edited:
Lycoming has a procedure they call "stalking the valve." for carbon buildup. Bring it to TDC, put 80 pounds of air in it, lay a piece of wood on the tip of the valve stem and smack hell out of it about a half dozen times. I've cleaned up many a carboned exhaust valve "staking" it.
Interesting procedure. I think I will try that before I pull the head off. Only problem is the leak is so bad I can't build any pressure in the cylinder. But worth a try.

Back