It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

As far as I know, my stock XS1B has never been opened up, and would have those early valves. I've never used a lead substitute in it, valves seem to be sealing OK. But, at overhaul time, they'll get a closer look, now that this issue has been raised...
Have you ever opened yours up, if so how did things look?
I remember the hysteria when leaded gas was phased out. Some articles made it sound like lead free would be instant death if used in older engines. I will keep what you pointed out in mind when I rebuild my original engine.
You do realize Mailman won't be able to sleep tonight after reading you post.:geek:
I wonder if anyone has ever posted any valve problems with the 256 valves. I guess Ill do some searching.

Well, lead or no lead, that engine is looking nice and should CME together in a very pretty fashion!

BTW - I got an advert this AM from MikesXS announcing that they now have (what appear to be) “authentic” replica baseball bat mufflers for early XS650s in stock.

P/N 07-0651

I’m not an expert, but they look pretty good to me.

You do realize Mailman won't be able to sleep tonight after reading you post.:geek:

Yeah, I read the link, and yeah I’ve got the early valves with the square notches, but meh....I’m not worried about pre mature valve wear. What keeps me awake at night is the thought of my crank locking up from one of those damned lead slugs coming loose. :yikes:

Yeah, I read the link, and yeah I’ve got the early valves with the square notches, but meh....I’m not worried about pre mature valve wear. What keeps me awake at night is the thought of my crank locking up from one of those damned lead slugs coming loose. :yikes:
Don't loose any sleep over the slugs. When I rode mine red line was just a suggestion. 29,000 miles and the crank was never a problem. It has a 38 tooth sprocket on it. I'm sure it pushed 8,500 plus a few times. Could beat a Sporty to 110, after that they stroked me.:doh: Ah he good old days. Things you did when you didn't know any better.

Pistons showed up this morning. Amazing ordered last Wednesday from Japan and arrived today. Made trip to machine shop and dropped off parts. Should get them back sometime next week.
Took the clutch apart just to check it. Fibers all measured around .138, spring height 1.350 and plates flat. Should be OK. Even had rubber rings under fiber plates. They looked good so I just put it back together like it was.
I guess I can spend some time cleaning up the side covers and reading through some of the threads on engines and carbs.

Dropped parts off at machine shop Monday afternoon. May get parts back sometime next week. Told him no hurries no worries. I'd rather he took his time and not feel rushed. Spent time cleaning parts and hardware. Did a light polish on a few parts.
upload_2019-3-10_16-15-44.png

upload_2019-3-10_16-16-40.png
upload_2019-3-10_16-25-47.png

Good news bad news week.
Bad news was machine shop called and the exhaust guide for the valve that was bent is bad. When he went to take the oil seal off of it the guide broke in his hand. New guide ordered should be here Monday.
Good news cylinders are done. So at least I can get the pistons and cylinder on.
upload_2019-3-16_16-30-53.png

I might even get to use a tool I haven't used since the early 90's.
upload_2019-3-16_16-34-10.png

I know Popsicle sticks will work but since I have these I'll put them to work. I have the complementary tool for these but I don't think this is a good application for it.
upload_2019-3-16_16-40-15.png

All in all good week. Some progress no real setbacks.

If you put the pistons in the jugs individually from the bottom before you set the jug on the block, you really don't need a ring compressor. The bottoms of the bores are beveled and it's easy to work the pistons down into them just by compressing the rings with your fingers, one at a time. Wiggle the piston back and forth a little as you push down on it and the rings will work their way in.

If you put the pistons in the jugs individually from the bottom before you set the jug on the block, you really don't need a ring compressor. The bottoms of the bores are beveled and it's easy to work the pistons down into them just by compressing the rings with your fingers, one at a time. Wiggle the piston back and forth a little as you push down on it and the rings will work their way in.
True
When I helped out at the machine shop we always put a bevel on the top of the car blocks after boring. Compressor just made it easier. Since I have it I thought I would try it. Don't think the piston hammer will work tho.

Now if doing lots of the same engine the tool to have is the one we had for the 71 series Detroit Diesels!

Basically a heavy walled piece of steel tubing the same bore at one end and maybe 1/2 inch bigger bore at the other. Set it on the bottom of the cylinder liner and one quick shove the piston was installed. Those engines you had to install the pistons in the liners before installing liners in block.

You could have all 16 pistons in the liners in a matter of a few minutes!

Some progress. Engine is assembled.Not much drama, went together pretty easy. Did learn one thing if you roll it over without the cam chain tensioner installed and set you get a clicking sound every half turn. Set valve lash. Read several threads on what to set them at. Decided on 4 and 6. It's a loose 4 and 6, 5 and 7 won't go through. Must have done something right. Rolling the engine over both cylinders have suck, squeeze and blow. Hopefully the bang will be soon. Got a Pamco e-advance and an Andrews coil coming. Pulled the oil strainer out of the clutch cover and it was full of oil so the oil pump must be doing something. I had the oil pump apart for a look see. Got to get on the stick tomorrow and order a bunch of carb parts and other stuff I'm going to need. Seems like 10 minuets after I order parts I find something else I need.
Shout out to Jim, 5twins and anybody else that ever posted information on engine assembly. I read through Jim's tech thread several times plus many other threads relating to engines. Didn't follow any one persons way of doing things. I picked and chose what I liked and also what worked for me when I was rebuilding car engines. Nice thing about reading all the different threads was I felt like I had done it before. Everything is done one step at a time, it's best to get the steps in order.
upload_2019-3-24_15-1-12.png

Yes, these aren't difficult engines to rebuild (good thing because most need it, lol). I'll admit I was a little intimidated by the cam, cam chain, and cam timing because I had never done that stuff before, but it was pretty easy to figure out.

Back