1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GLJ, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

A while back I went through the starter drivetrain gearing... part number by part number. They match for all years including the XS2. My 80 SG starter and drivetrain is identical to yours. They should work just fine without the decompressor.... they do on the rest of 'em. ;)

Mailman and GLJ like this.
  2. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

And it does. I was also told back in the day that Yamaha quietly called the decompressor a failed experiment.

Jim and Mailman like this.
  3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Had the decompresser working on a 73 no issues on that one.
    I think they are cool in a steampunk or maybe rube goldberg kind of way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Mailman, Jim and GLJ like this.
  4. GLJ

I agree with you on that.
    I'll always keep the original valve cover on it because I think it looks cool. Plus it's a conversation piece. It's part of the 650 history.

gggGary, Jim and Mailman like this.
  5. Jim

Jim I have a plan. It's something to deviate from. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

solo-steampunk.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and gggGary like this.
  6. gggGary

He's a burning man!

Jim likes this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Jim likes this.
  8. Jim

I'd love to build a "steampunk" XS.... :rolleyes:

gggGary likes this.
  9. Jim

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  10. gggGary

There was pretty nice steampunk XS IN KC or thereabouts 5-6 years ago.

Jim likes this.
  11. GLJ

Deleted

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  12. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Enthusiast

Used to have that problem with old Brit bikes, once I got them cleaned up I'd spray them with clear and the rust would be held at bay for a while. Good till the next tire change anyway.

GLJ and Jim like this.
  13. GLJ

Declaring Phase 1 complete. :woowoo:Phase 1 was to get the bike back into a run-able and dependable state. I think it is. Changed oil in it and the oil that came out looked good, no metal flakes or bits of plastic. Motor has 200 or so smiles on it and runs fine. No major work needs to be addressed, minor job changing the 38 tooth rear sprocket back to 34 teeth.
    Phase 2
    Time for Phase 2, get the original engine rebuilt, back in and running. After posting a picture of someone referred to it as a lump. That's a good description. Decided to spend some time today getting the cases a bit cleaner. Not trying for perfect, just clean enough to take apart. What I started with.
    Lump1.PNG Lump2.PNG Lump3.PNG lump4.PNG
    After a bit of cleaning it's clean enough to take apart. Didn't do anything to the cylinder or head.
    lump5.PNG lump6.PNG lump7.PNG lump8.PNG
    Was surprised when I looked at the sump filter. It look great. No tears, no metal and no plastic.

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and Jim like this.
  14. Mailman

Oooh an engine to rebuild! I might have some green gaskets I could send you! :laugh2:

Glad to hear your oil change looked so good! It’s funny , when I did my first oil change, I removed the bolts from my sump filter and grabbed the sump plate with my hand and tried to see if by any chance it would just come off.
    It wouldn’t, so I got up to go get a small block of wood and a rubber mallet to persuade it and right then it went PLUNK! And just fell off in to my drain pan! :)

Hope this rebuild goes smooth with no surprises for you. :thumbsup:

GLJ, gggGary, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  15. GLJ

No way Josey. Awhile back I bought some XS1 gasket sets. They have black gaskets. No 4 hole gasket though, the Athena set I bought had a black 4 hole gasket, rest were aftermarket Green.:poke: Head gasket is different than mine. Anyone need a couple of XS1 head gaskets let me know. Going to use black gaskets on this engine so it looks right.
    upload_2019-5-17_17-26-8.png

16. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Well, it certainly gets around the perennial corrosion issues but it does lack a certain something in the “style” department....:laugh2:

Jim likes this.
  17. GLJ

Got the engine knocked down. One minor surprise. The front cam chain guide still had most of the rubber on it, except it was broke in half. Not sure when or how.
    200.PNG
    201.PNG
    Going to take engine cases to get welded next week. Not sure how well crack shows up in the pics. After cases are welded start ordering parts.
    202.PNG
    207.PNG

18. Mailman

That’s crazy! I’ve never seen a cam chain guide snap in two like that. Regarding the cracks in your case , I can imagine the broken frame was putting a lot of stress on the cases. Well.....you know, that and the eighteen year old hell raiser twisting the throttle! :D

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and gggGary like this.
  19. GLJ

Crack was in the case when I bought the bike. Used to clean it off with carb/break cleaner and then put 2 part epoxy on it to stop oil leak. That would last for a month or 2. Not sure when frame got broke. I may or may not have had something to do with that.:sneaky: