1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GLJ, Oct 31, 2018.

1. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Looks like a decent fix GLJ - interested to see how it works.

Pete

GLJ and Jim like this.
  2. GLJ

GLJ Ran through life like my hair was on fire 650 time Top Contributor

I don't consider it a real fix. More of a stop gap measure until it can be welded.

Mailman and Gator xs2 like this.
  3. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Looking good G. Don’t feel too bad. Every CB750 I did had broken cases.

GLJ likes this.
  4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Well that had to be a surprise! It’s very fortunate that you are building up the original motor to go back in.
    By the way, regarding the paint on your case. Yeah, if I had it to do all over again, I think I’d go a different way. I don’t think the paint is hard enough and the clear coat is starting to yellow. Maybe some day I’ll repaint it. No rush.

MaxPete, Jim and GLJ like this.
  5. GLJ

The POR15 aluminum paint is some tough stuff. My hands look like the Tin Man from the Wizard of OZ. $hit don't wash off.

MaxPete, Mailman and Jim like this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Edit: I’m not sure I was being clear about the paint. I was referring to me not being very happy with the paint on my cases. I wasn’t talking about your paint job. I hope my post wasn’t confusing.

7. GLJ

Starting to look like an engine again. Crank turns, seems to have all 5 gears and neutral. Picked up cylinders and head from machine shop this afternoon.
    upload_2019-7-12_16-15-39.png upload_2019-7-12_16-16-15.png

I did something to the bike I didn't think I would ever do. Put turn signals back on it. Short stalk lights with 900 lumen LEDs. Indicator doesn't work right with the LEDs but the front turns are bright enough you can see when they are on better than the indicator would show.

upload_2019-7-12_16-31-47.png

Went for a few rides this week. She runs nice and smooth, motor has 750 smiles on it and seems to be breaking in nicely. Starts great, idles well, no blowby or oil out the breather tubes. Going back to a 34 tooth rear sprocket makes it a lot nicer to ride. Still has plenty of power, cruising at 65 seems more sedate.

8. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    That’s awesome G. I’m hoping for the same results. Stock breather with baffle? 2 tubes? BTW bike looks great.

MaxPete likes this.
  9. GLJ

Yes and yes.

MaxPete likes this.