1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GLJ, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Very nice! I like it! :thumbsup:

Jim and GLJ like this.
  2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Strange. Your tach cable is longer than Mailman's, yet it fits fine...

GLJ and Jim like this.
  3. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

Got a few changes done to the old girl. A month or so ago I changed the rear sprocket from 38 teeth to 34 teeth. I liked the change so much I have since gone to 32 teeth. 32 is even better. Took a test run of 28 smiles down the interstate at 70+ and she did just fine. Plenty of power in 5th.
    Picked up a centerstand off of E-Bay. It had been removed before I bought the bike. Had to have to modify it since I don't have a muffler on the left side for it to stop against. Also decided to make it a ride off. Apart it came.
    upload_2019-9-5_14-34-2.png
    And then back together plus powder coated.
    upload_2019-9-5_14-36-28.png
    Modified the bolts a little.
    upload_2019-9-5_14-37-51.png
    Fought the spring on once. My $2.50 spring expander. Used it 1/2 dozen times when test fitting. Same price in Canada.
    upload_2019-9-5_14-40-38.png
    Mounted on bike.
    upload_2019-9-5_14-44-53.png
    upload_2019-9-5_14-45-46.png upload_2019-9-5_14-46-20.png
    To get it on stand, push stand down till it touches the ground, hold foot against back of centerstand foot, left hand on left grip, grab bottom of seat with right hand, lift with right hand and pull with left. No nut busting to get it on stand. The rod sticking out the back is there as a stop rod for when stand is up.
    Picked up something else from E-Bay also. Going to put them to use at the end of the month
    upload_2019-9-5_15-3-30.png

Attached Files:

4. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Hey - I like that centrestand and the new baggies look very snazz as well!

Pete

59Tebo, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mailman

Well done! I have been wanting to shorten my center stand as well. My XS2 is VERY hard to lift onto the center stand. I typically run the wheel up on a 2x4 before lifting it on the center stand. And when I’m out and riding it, I just grit my teeth and hoist! It’s funny my 77D is super easy to lift.

I like the matching luggage, road trip! I love it! Touring 70’s style.
    “ The rebel without a cause, the thrill-spinning adventures of a young man and his big bike.”
    54FD2B5E-3AF2-48B1-B523-36AFF03D1DF1.jpeg

So where you headed? Photos or it didn’t happen! :geek:

59Tebo, MaxPete, TwoManyXS1Bs and 4 others like this.
  6. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    Did you ever try hoisting a KO or K1 750 up on a center stand? Makes the XS seem like a bicycle. You just gotta practice to get the technique down. By the way G, love your bike!

MaxPete, TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and 2 others like this.
  7. GLJ

Threw a dart at a calendar for September and it hit the weekend of the 28th. Threw another dart at a map and it l landed on a small town in NC called Robbinsville. Did a internet search and found a lodge called the Iron Horse. Called them and made reservations. They said it would be a good weekend to come as there would be other bikes there.

59Tebo, madmax-im, MaxPete and 4 others like this.
  8. Mailman

Haha! I love it! :thumbsup:

MaxPete, Gator xs2 and GLJ like this.
  9. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    HaHaHaHa!!! :laughing:

GLJ and MaxPete like this.
  10. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

See ya there GLJ!

Pete

59Tebo, madmax-im and GLJ like this.
  11. GLJ

What! :yikes: You're going to be there. They said there was going to be a bunch of old farts on antique bikes there. Didn't think there were going to be kids are age around.:rolleyes:

12. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    God I wish I could be there with you guys. I’m gonna try. If I did somehow make it up there, I would have to put the XS in the van to get there and ride it around up there. That’s allowed isn’t it? I’d really like to meet and ride with you guys. Also thank you in person for all the help you’ve given me during my bikes resurrection.

MaxPete, Mailman and GLJ like this.
  13. GLJ

No.
    Main reason I modified it was I had to to something as I don't have a left muffler. I could have just welded the stop rod on and called it good. But then I would have had the tang sticking out like a sore thumb. One thing led to another and since I like the ride off stand on my BMr I thought what the heck, go for broke.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  14. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Wow cool..See ya there too..although i wont know by sight who you are..We need name tags...well some of us do...LOL

GLJ likes this.
  15. GLJ

My plan right now is to ride mine there. FL is a lot closer than northern IL.

MaxPete likes this.
  16. GLJ

I'll wear my nurse uniform. Can't miss me.
    upload_2019-9-5_17-39-40.png

TwoManyXS1Bs and Gator xs2 like this.
  17. Mailman

If I saw you comin at me looking like that...I’d be runnin the other way! :yikes:

MaxPete, Gator xs2 and GLJ like this.
  18. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    You’re riding all the way huh? You’re hardcore. That XS must be a comfortable ride. When I rode my KZ over to Crescent Beach and down to Daytona and back I pretty much had to stand on the pegs for the last hour or two off and on. My Honda’s? Like a lazyboy. Ride forever and I trust em. I don’t know if I trust my XS enough yet. I still haven’t popped it over for the first time.

GLJ likes this.
  19. GLJ

That's the plan. Weather permitting. Colder than 35 trailer time.
    No, stupid comes to mind. Farthest I've ever ridden this bike in one shot was 250 miles and that was about 40 years ago.
    You obviously haven't ridden your XS2 yet. I still need to work on seat comfort.
    I have hauled racing bikes to races. I have never hauled a road bike anywhere just to ride it. 700 plus miles is a bit far for a 47 year old bike. I think this could be a great adventure. Plan is to leave at midnight Wednesday and arrive Thursday afternoon. Like all plans subject to change.

TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete and Gator xs2 like this.
  20. Gator xs2

Gator xs2 XS650 Addict

FL
    When my mom was still around I’d shove my K1 and RD into the van and haul em up to western NC and run around and have a blast. I cant do that anymore. I would ride up if my bike is sound and I have someone to ride along with me. Kinda sucks riding so far alone. One of my best friends just left yesterday on his annual bike trip. 39 years he and Al have been doing it. 2 week trip. Usually logs about 4000 miles. But now.... He’s riding modern. First a ST11 now a ST13. All I’m saying is Its nice to have company.

GLJ and MaxPete like this.