It's time to buy a welder

My experience just echoes what everyone else is saying. I strongly believe in buying US made stuff, but can't always afford it. I went through several MIG welders (including a HF 220v MIG) and ended up finally happy with a Hobart 140. With the previous welders, there was always something not quite right that added un-needed distractions or complicated my learning process.

Last edited:
why do you guys want to smash my hopes and dreams!!!!!!!!

No one is wanting to smash Your hopes and dreams.
When You buy a tool, reach for the best You can afford.
Every time You use it, You will be glad You spent a little extra,
In a few years, that Miller, or Hobart will still be welding, and the HF will be in the scrap pile.I bought a HF Anvil. It is still working.....so far. which is more than I can say for anything else I have bought there.
I do buy chip brushes, and acid brushes there. Use them once, then toss.

I love my small Lincoln MIG. It's only a 120v unit, but is more than enough for the light welding I need to do, I have only basic welding skills:

SP-140T_2882_1.jpg

I wouldn't use it to weld on a hardtail or anything, but for everything else I need to do like light sheet metal, adding tabs, brackets, and bungs, it's been great. The only thing I needed to buy to get started was an auto darkening helmet (it only comes with the handheld lens) and a gas canister. And now I wish I had bought a bigger canister!

-Aaron

569.00? no way jose

If you're tight on cash, check craigslist. If there's nothing to be found there, I say hell yes buy Harbor Freight.

Obviously there stuff isn't the best quality, but a year ago I bought this little 90watt flux welder for $100, and it's been working just fine. I don't do a lot of fab work but it's welded Chromoly and 1/4" - 18ga steel, no problem.

You gotta start somewhere.

I have welded with a cheap ass Craftsman 110 and now I have a Hobart 187. Not saying that you need that much, but the 140 is nice as well, I just needed the 187 for some thicker stuff and the adjustability!

I would just save my money and get a 220v something, but not a HF unit.

welp i bought a 90 amp, 110 volt mig..lol.

i wont tell you guys where i bought it..but lets say i got a two year protection play on it..we shall see how she plays, nice or not nice:bike:

Got this for $800 used local...
140A, 110V and 100% Duty Cycle.
Came with the DC TIG Torch and the Aluminum Spool Gun.
Its a huge beast, but I love the way the wire feed comes off the main body, so I can reach anything in my Garage...
It kicks butt, and has produced nothing but great Welds for me so far.

SnapOnMig01.jpg

it's flux core..did some welding lastnight on it on some scrap metal and so far i love it. Damn thing welds better than the Lincoln 110 volt MIG i was renting from Home depot. I think it's going to work great for what i need it for.

happy you found something that works good for you :)

that snap on is nice, and the spool gun pretty much pays for the machine itself. good find.

Good decision slackjaw, when you get old and have disposable income, you can by a damn $800 welder and rewire your garage. But now you're setup. Do work buddy!

Good decision slackjaw, when you get old and have disposable income, you can by a damn $800 welder and rewire your garage. But now you're setup. Do work buddy!

I bought mine when I was 27, not old, NO disposable income by a LOONG shot, I ate top ramen and bologna sammiches so I could afford my welder. Lincoln 180c. It is worth more to me than ALL my other tools combined. :thumbsup: I weld 1/2" using multiple passes, and 1/4" single pass.

Sometimes you just gotta sacrifice for what you really want. :laughing:

:cheers:

Back