I've embarked on another anti-shackwhacky project - wanna see?

kitchen.jpg

As I was dozing off last night, a half-baked idea occurred to me. You could simulate the interior of a building by taking (or scrounging off the innerwebz) a suitable picture, resizing it and reversing it if needed, printing it off as a decal and applying it to the back side of acetate "glazing" on a model structure's window.

If you ignore the quick-and-dirty framing job, the results are not bad at all. I did have to back it with a piece of white paper to get it to look right. My first thought was "Well, hell, just print it on photo paper then" but not sure how I'd attach the photo to the acetate or vice-versa. The decal adheres nicely.

Probably not an original idea, except for maybe the decal thing. More experimentation required.

This is a great idea DE! Hey, you could ALL SORTS of interesting interior scenes off the interweb....hmmmmm....

Gonna hafta buy the farm next door offa Old Man Schmidt, I'm running out of real estate.

I wanted to build a combination corn crib and equipment shed like we had on the farm I grew up on. Decided to scratch build it out of scale lumber. Do you have ANY idea how small a 1:64 scale 2x4 is? :eek:

cc5.jpg

cc6.jpg

Cribs are 2x4 framing and 1x4 skip sheathing. The scale lumber is actually a whisker over size but plenty close enough. What you see there is a full weeks worth of cutting, laying out and gluing up subassemblies and waiting for them to cure before doing the next step. Actual bench time probably 5 or 6 hours.

A cyber-friend from a gun board I hang out on sent me a box full of scale stuff, vehicles mostly, and an HO scale Quonset hut. Definitely need to find a place for that.

Gonna hafta buy the farm next door offa Old Man Schmidt, I'm running out of real estate.
I wanted to build a combination corn crib and equipment shed like we had on the farm I grew up on. Decided to scratch build it out of scale lumber.
Cribs are 2x4 framing and 1x4 skip sheathing. The scale lumber is actually a whisker over size but plenty close enough. What you see there is a full weeks worth of cutting, laying out and gluing up subassemblies and waiting for them to cure before doing the next step. Actual bench time probably 5 or 6 hours.
A cyber-friend from a gun board I hang out on sent me a box full of scale stuff, vehicles mostly, and an HO scale Quonset hut. Definitely need to find a place for that.

Hi DE,
never mind the out of scale lumber, home-sawn 2x4s tend to be cut to the actual dimension, not 1-5/8' x 3-5/8"
But ain't Quonsets made from corrugated iron?
Won't you lay awake at night worrying that an HO-scale model's corrugations will be out of scale on a 1/64 scale model?

Hi DE,
never mind the out of scale lumber, home-sawn 2x4s tend to be cut to the actual dimension, not 1-5/8' x 3-5/8"
But ain't Quonsets made from corrugated iron?
Won't you lay awake at night worrying that an HO-scale model's corrugations will be out of scale on a 1/64 scale model?

Well, the house and barn are HO and don't look bad at all, but the Quonset IS pretty small. I can hide some of it by putting it up on a "concrete" foundation, landscaping around it with trees and shrubs to confuse the eye and not putting it too close to anything that's 1:64.

He also sent me some VERY nice HO scale vehicles and unfortunately, I won't be able to use them as they look like toys next to the 1:64 ERTL and Matchbox stuff. Perhaps way off in the "distance" when I add on, but even then I think they'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Just trying to figure out when you will be making some 1/64 scale corn to fill those cribs!

Suppose you could print up some paper with pictures of a pile of corn and just stick in inside.

Actually, I'm going to experiment with some rice. If I can tint it yellow enough without it swelling up, I think that might work.

Back