I've embarked on another anti-shackwhacky project - wanna see?

Hmmmmmm....it is awfully tempting to suggest what they eat, but, no....I will resist.

Oh, go ahead. I got skin like a crocagator.

You know you want to! :poke:
boxing.gif
:boxing:

Oh, go ahead. I got skin like a crocagator.

Hi DE,
another Nestor Pistor fan, eh?
" Meanest animal in world is crocogator,"
"what is crocogator?"
"Crocogator is animal with head of crocodile on one end and head of alligator on other"
"Animal like that couldn't ever take a shit!"
"What you think makes him so mean?"

With the additional acreage, I'll be able to expand my "reserve inventory pile". No farm junkyard is complete without a rusted out old pickup, so...

wreck1.jpg

I started out with this, hacked it apart, cut the box off the back and dumped it in a jar of brake fluid to strip the paint.

wreck2.jpg

wreck3.jpg

Then I went at it with a pair of parallel jaw piles, a vise and a small drill bit. Bent, twisted and crushed the cab and fenders, and drilled a few bullet holes for effect. Piled everything up and superglued it together.

wreck4.jpg

wreck5.jpg

Then I stood WAY back with a can of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and splattered it. I highlighted the bullet holes with a little flat black paint. It'll get posed near my junk pile with a tree growing up through the frame. I'll post a picture of the final result when I get that far with my scenery.

Should have known. The patterns are a lot like I got from my 1911.:(

At my last two duty stations before I retired from the Navy, one of my collateral duties was Small Arms training. Teaching sailors (!) how to shoot the .45, the M14 and the Mossberg 500 trench gun. Yes, the REAL military had long since abandoned those antiques, but it's what we had so it's what we used.

In Iceland, I took the Officers out to check them out on the .45 Most did okay, but the Exec couldn't hit the ground with his hat and blamed it on the weapon. Being as they were all WWII (or maybe Korea) surplus, it was certainly a possibility so I asked for his weapon and promptly put 5 rounds in the black from 25 yards.

Before I could harness my inner smartass, I said "Don't think it's the weapon, XO." Skipper almost shat himself trying not to laugh. The XO spent the rest of my tour there making my life miserable...

In Winter Harbor, the armory hadn't been unlocked in dog's years. I was tasked with inventory and evaluation. All the weapons were well greased and just needed cleaning to be ready to go. What amazed me was that we had a ****load of ammo, especially .45 Several thousand rounds more than the official paperwork said we had.

Skipper said "Make it go away, Senior Chief."

"Aye-aye, Sir." For the next several months we'd go to the range and just go batshit turning perfectly good ammo into smoke and noise. With enough practice I got pretty proficient even with a loose-as-a-goose 1911A1 from the 50's.

.45..."Hit a man in his pinky finger and blow his whole arm off!"
Reason I have a 1911 is I was talking to a friend of mine about 40 years ago. He's a few years older than me, served in Vietnam. I asked him what he thought the best pistol/revolver was. He said a 1911. He said from first hand experience that they don't jam and will knock down anyone. But they are not all the accurate, close range only.

not all the accurate, close range only.
Hmmmm...... I used to have a 1911 pattern pistol (started with a "K", made in Yonkers). The first time I shot it, I was all over the page. As I was looking at my target, the range master came over to ask me how I had done. "Not so good" I remarked. He took the target, held it to his chest, and said "...what part of any of this is 'not so good'? Keep practicing, son." A few years, and few thousand rounds later, I was keeping them in the black. I think the old range master would call that "good enough"... :hijack:

Last edited:
woods6.jpg

Spring am Sprung on Tiny Farm. Got a lot of the landscaping done, made and planted a bunch of trees, and got the garden started.

There'll be a picnic table and a barbeque under that big tree in the back and more veggies in the garden. Probably move the apple trees from around the house and do a little orchard between the garden and the hill. Got an idea on how to make some rhubarb plants. Waiting on the resin to do the stream and falls coming down the hill.

Need to start thinking about the other half of the addition. Corn crib and granary for sure, but room for more.

Waiting on some supplies for another building for the diorama, so switched gears a little.

allcrop.jpg

One of my favorite things as a kid on the farm was riding on the bagging platform on Dad's Allis Chalmers All Crop combine while he harvested wheat. Scoop a handful of wheat out of the bin, blow the chaff off it and chow down. Yum! I can still smell the smells too.

I wanted one for my diorama but there's nothing out there that I can find in 1:64 for a combine that old. The new self-propelled stuff yes, but the old pull-types I can't find.

subassys.jpg

So, I decided to try building my own. Downloaded a bunch of pictures, asked around for some basic dimensions (several folks were kind enough to go out and put a tape measure on theirs - they're fairly popular amongst the antique/hobby farmer crowd as they're dead simple) and interpolated a few from known dimensions.

Dug into my stash of sheet plastic and round and square tubing and went to work. Tiny little pieces - the whole thing will be about 3 inches long - so tweezers and a lot of creative parts-holding.

The biggest challenge was getting the curve in the plastic for the hood on the end. Three attempts and none of them really ideal, so I took the least messed up and "fixed" it with glazing putty.

subassy3.jpg

This is where I am as of this afternoon. I think it'll look okay once it's painted. Got to build the frame, axle and hitch yet and then it's just adding details here and there.

Back