Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Upped the pilot jet?
Nope.
Actually, I checked the plugs the other day after a prolonged ride trying to hold 35-45 mph keeping the throttle in the pilot range best I could. Plugs were as black and sooty as a shovel man on a steam train. :rolleyes: Went back down to the stock 42.5's. Haven't had a chance to recheck plugs yet, but it ran fine after.

Here's the tell..... "Other than that, throttle position has no affect. It's fixed now." :whistle:

Just throwing this on the table, Jim. Any chance of a potential/intermittent blockage at the petcock inlet? I recall something similar after my rebuild. Even though I had flushed the tank thoroughly, enough additional debris apparently got knocked loose after the first several rides/tank re-fills and there was just enough debris to eventually and intermittently starve the carbs. I assumed it was intermittent anyway on my bike due to gas sloshing around helping to clear the inlets, only to eventually re-clog. When I removed the petcock I found one of the little round filters had actually dislodged and was sloshing around in the tank, further exacerbating the problem with debris entering the petcock. FWIW.

Just throwing this on the table, Jim. Any chance of a potential/intermittent blockage at the petcock inlet? I recall something similar after my rebuild. Even though I had flushed the tank thoroughly, enough additional debris apparently got knocked loose after the first several rides/tank re-fills and there was just enough debris to eventually and intermittently starve the carbs. I assumed it was intermittent anyway on my bike due to gas sloshing around helping to clear the inlets, only to eventually re-clog. When I removed the petcock I found one of the little round filters had actually dislodged and was sloshing around in the tank, further exacerbating the problem with debris entering the petcock. FWIW.
Nope. Good guess though. Backing off the throttle and having it recover (sometimes) made me think of that also, but everything's clean as a whistle.

Air filters were left at home ?
:lmao:
Laughing Minions.gif

Um.... no.:rolleyes:

Jim have you experminted with clip heights? I just fixed my stutter by raising my clip a bit leaner. It is a PITA job tho.

Ding Ding Ding... :). Here's a quote from me in that thread: "You say it runs fine at idle and above 3K. Seems to me that's telling us that both the retard and advance triggers are working and getting to the box. It's the transition period where the little magic chip inside the box builds the advance curve where the problem lies..... where it transitions from one trigger to the other.... But that's just my weird way of looking a electronics...:whistle:" Maybe I jinks myself.... or maybe it's just that 40 yr old electronics is... well, 40 yrs old.
I have (had) a spare TCI box. I plugged it in and just let it rest inside the left cover. Rode it all the way to the tool store with no problems. Plugged the original back in and about halfway home, the problem returned.... so I went ahead and swapped it out. What a pita that was. There's no cold/weak solder joints on the old one and no sign of overheated/burnt components.... so I guess I'm on the hunt for another (spare) TCI box.

Last edited:
Fascinating.
My first thoughts are about historic funkiness with early generation CMOS chips, and possibly failing caps associated with the inputs to the IC. The early plastic-encapsulated CMOS devices would slowly absorb water (from the air), and eventually act weird. Sometimes could get them to recover by driving out the moisture, putting them in a hot/dry environment for a few days...

Legal... Smeagle... Meh.
So... Missouri requires a motorcycle endorsement. In the 20+ yrs I've lived here I never bothered to get the endorsement. I had a bike for a time after I first moved here. Guess I got lucky and never got stopped. A few weeks ago I went and took the written then got busy on the sun room upgrade. The cold is on it's way... so it was now or never. This morning it was 39 and sunny... brrrrrr. By noon it was up to 50. Close enough.... zipped over to the Hwy Patrol and did the deed. I'm officially legal. :D
Back in June I ordered a specialty plate, so while I was at the DMV gettin' the endorsement added, I asked about the plate. Yeah, it was there. Been there for awhile. You'd think they'd notify a fella wouldn't you? So I'm legal and the SG is sportin' a new look. She sez she likes it. :)

plate.jpg

Last edited:
Legal... Smeagle... Meh.
So... Missouri requires a motorcycle endorsement. In the 20+ yrs I've lived here I never bothered to get the endorsement. I had a bike for a time after I first moved here. Guess I got lucky and never got stopped. A few weeks ago I went and took the written then got busy on the sun room upgrade. The cold is on it's way... so it was now or never. This morning it was 39 and sunny... brrrrrr. By noon it was up to 50. Close enough.... zipped over to the Hwy Patrol and did the deed. I'm officially legal. :D
Back in June I ordered a specialty plate, so while I was at the DMV gettin' the endorsement added, I asked about the plate. Yeah, it was there. Been there for awhile. You'd think they'd notify a fella wouldn't you? So I'm legal and the SG is sportin' a new look. She sez she like it. :)

View attachment 153431
congrats on passing the test
Did you have to run through a course

Back