Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

So... if you jus' knew in your heart I'd shine the backing plate, give yourself 50 bonus points. :rolleyes:

plate shine.jpg

Got into my airplane stuff and put 2 3/32 AD rivets in the bottom corners to prevent delam. just to hedge my bets.

plate rivet.jpg

Drilled out the top holes so the rubbers are a snug fit...

plate rubber.jpg

... and assembled it per my previous post said I would.

plate done.jpg

Thanks for the advice Fred but I like the acorns... and they were on hand.
So... time will tell, but I think I whupped it. :D
Btw.... the smudge in the light did rub out after all... :cool:

Last edited:
Jim, you should make these for members whom don't have your skills:rolleyes:...maybe patent them.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sign me up!

Our solution up in the True North Strong and Free was developed by our sadly missed buddy, the late RobinC who found a big chunk of truck mud flap at Princess Automotive (like Harbor Fright - but with maple leaves) and cut it to the same size as a license plate plus about 3/4” in height. We attach the license to the flap and then attach the flap to the XS650 brackets.

It sure isn’t as pretty as Jim’s setup, but it is simple, cheap and I don’t think its TOO ugly, and most importantly, it seems to work OK.
508444D1-CF64-4CBD-A9A2-A8AC3E3D4195.jpeg

Last edited:
sign me up!
Our solution up in the True North Strong and Free was developed by our sadly missed buddy, the late RobinC who found a big chunk of truck mud flap at Princess Automotive (like Harbor Fright - but with maple leaves) and cut it to the same size as a license plate plus about 3/4” in height. We attach the license to the flap and then attach the flap to the XS650 brackets.
It sure isn’t as pretty as Jim’s setup, but it is simple, cheap and I don’t think its TOO ugly, and most importantly, it seems to work OK.
View attachment 153640

Hi Pete,
perhaps "who first thought of that?" for rubber plate mounts is like "who built the first airplane?"
Answer:- "Everybody did"
Check out my avatar to see my rubber-suspended custom plate.
My claim is not that I did it first but that I did it cheaper. I found my truck mud flap laying in the street.

I love the attention to detail that you do on every job Jim. It’s just your nature and it makes you so much fun to follow on your jobs. A little job that most folks wouldn’t even notice, a simple reinforcing plate for your license plate.

Polished to a mirror shine......check!
Aircraft rivets........check!
Acorn nuts........check!
Winner winner chicken dinner........check!

You’re my kind of guy there buddy! ;)

Yesterday... Christmas Day was sunny and 67°F. I couldn't help myself, I just had to get one last ride in for the season. I've been holding off on puttin' her in hibernation 'cause the forecast always showed warm days in the outlook. It's been dry and windy here so the salt is mostly blown off the roads. Put some stabilizer in the tank and figured I'd ride for 15-20 min to run it through the carbs. That turned into a thoroughly enjoyable 2 hr ride. Gassed up on the way home, used a blowgun under the bike just in case some salt dust collected there and backed her into the garage for the winter. Here's where things started going south... :er:
As I pulled her up on the centerstand, my foot slipped off the ball on the end of the tang. Got interesting real quick... try to keep up here fellas... as my foot slipped off and hit the ground, my other foot slipped. The tang foot went straight down where, as the bike rocked over center, the tang ball came down squarely on my foot... pinning it to the floor. Simultaneously, my other foot continued it's slide, finally stopping when my butt contacted the garage floor. So... being pinned to the floor... sitting on the floor.... alone, I had no choice but to crawl my way back up the bike 'till I could push it off the centerstand... and free my trapped foot. The entire episode prolly didn't last more than 3 to 5 seconds. In that short span, I prolly invented 'bout a dozen new cuss words, didn't drop the bike and gingerly set her on the sidestand. I'm pretty sure nothings broke, but walking is pretty limited today.
Probably a 1 in a million event. :rolleyes:

big toe.jpg

big toe1.jpg

Jim, I hope your toe is only bruised with no permanent damage to the toenail. I hate it when they start to lift, especially at night where they get caught on bed sheets when trying to sleep. I still have to fibre-glass my big toe where I split it badly otherwise it catches whenever I turn over in my sleep.

Owowowowowowow!!! :yikes: Sorry to hear about that, Jim. You may want to have that looked at by a podiatrist, and soon. Many long summers ago, I was walking out of the apartment, with an armload of beer cans, to join my girlfriend (now Mrs. goin' on 28 years), catching some rays in the backyard, when I dropped one of the cans on my left big toe, right at the cuticle. Bled like a hog. Ever since, it's got the nail fungus. Long story long, PBR caused my nail fungus! :doh: It's a funny story now, until somebody gets a look at it. :confused:

"try to keep up here fellas"
After that quote I can't believe how fast I read the rest just to see how bad it turned out
Could have gone really bad at one point but
Glad it's just the toe and perhaps a little wounded pride
sometimes when something like that happens to me after I realize that I'll live I laugh my ass off that nothing bad happened (stress realease ?)

Jim, very sorry to see of your center stand misfortune.
I encourage you to keep your toes warm & dry as circumstances such as what seems to be could also lead to a "Toleo" condition
frostbite-2.jpg
Be careful ! It is known that if that should spread up your legs, well then it could get even worse for you.. sorry bud, could lead to "Kneezles"
knees_1480949c.jpg
It is important that you relax now in a Lazy Boy position... I really don't want to even mention yet what "Kneezles" worsens into.
Be Careful
-RT

Guy picks a gal in a bar. Takes her home, they're getting hot and heavy. They start undressing when the gal notices his deformed toes .Whats with your toes she gasps, When i was young i had toezilitis. Then his pants. Holy crap your knees she says. Well I had kneeszls when i was young...Then off with his underwear. The Gal says let me guess.....smallcox.

Back